Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2007, 07:13 PM

8 posts, read 15,242 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to work in D.C. here in just a few short months with my wife. I've noticed that pretty much every house for sale in the area goes for at least 250,000, and that will get you a trailer. Is there any area within an hour drive with housing that isn't as expensive????

Thank you!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2007, 07:47 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,715,076 times
250k for a house is a bad deal. that house has got to be in a very bad area. if you want to live in a condo something cheap for 250k or less. New Carrollton, Hyattsville, and Berwyn Heights would be affordable yet safe. but do NOT pay 250k for a sfh within a hour drive from DC.

Old 03-27-2007, 08:31 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,389,691 times
Yeah, quite honestly I'm surprised that there's ANY homes, even in the worst of neighborhoods, for 250K within an hour's drive of D.C. As Alanboy said, if there is RUN AWAY. It's a sad reality that it will be in a horrible crime-plagued neighborhood. A 250K could get you a two-bedroom, two-bathroom condo in some select parts of the DC area. Where I live in Ashburn, your quintessential quiet suburban community of good schools, low crime and soccer moms, some 35 miles west of DC (near Dulles Airport), single family homes start at around 450K (although there's a few around the lower 400s), and townhouses generally at around 350K and the condos where my brother lives are going for around 280K but I'd imagine that there are some closer to 250K in this area. That might give you some idea as to how far you'll have to travel out to find similar prices in this area. Maryland is a bit cheaper; PG County in particular but you have to be careful where you choose to live within the county and it's generally best to go as far away from DC as possible when looking at Prince George's County.

Old 03-29-2007, 06:44 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,463,266 times
Well, it might depend on how long an hour is. You might find an acceptable townhouse out in Charles County MD for $250K here and there for instance, but if an hour were a strict 60 minutes, you could be in some trouble there. If 75-90 minutes would qualify as an hour, it could be a different story. The same sort of thing would apply in VA. There is simply a lot of money in this area, so people are able to bid up the cost of convenient residential areas, and they have. Not all that much different from most major cities, though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC