U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 11:44 AM

79 posts, read 214,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
juniperbleu... Do you mind sharing some info about where you stay near the SW Waterfront? That's only of the areas that I've been leaning towards. Seems like its going to be going through a lot of renovations.
SW Waterfront has been "up-and-coming" for some time now. I personally wouldn't live there still, even if I was younger and single. DC has too many other great neighborhoods that are better in terms of convenience, safety, & entertainment, and are nearly as affordable as SW Waterfront.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 12:35 PM

1,256 posts, read 2,349,307 times
I keep hearing Ballston and Clarendon may be a better fit since there are lots of single young professionals who live in the area and the nightlife there isn't full of college kids like Goergetown and Adams Morgan may be.

Old 04-01-2009, 03:15 PM

3,276 posts, read 10,370,060 times
Quote:
juniperbleu... Do you mind sharing some info about where you stay near the SW Waterfront? That's only of the areas that I've been leaning towards. Seems like its going to be going through a lot of renovations.
Sure, I'm over near 4th & G and really like living here. Sure, it's not Dupont, but I can't afford what I want in Dupont (we like our space, a large balcony, and a washer/dryer in the house). I love our house, and there's no way we could afford something of its quality elsewhere in the city. I also like having 4 metro lines at my disposal (even on the weekends you have to wait 10 minutes, tops, but usually less). It's pretty quiet, which is kind of nice, and it's also fairly safe. The one thing that freaks people out is that it's a mixed-income neighborhood, and always will be (the neighborhood council is adamant about keeping affordable housing through redevelopment), but honestly I've never had any problems. Even looking at crime maps I see the same (or even higher) levels of crime in Adams Morgan and Dupont than I do in my neighborhood. Really, my biggest complaints are: 1) since it's so residential, there aren't many bar/cafe/restaurant options in close proximity, so I generally go to Chinatown, Penn Quarter, or Capitol Hill, and 2) the closest Safeway is teeny and dingy. Overall, that's not really a huge deal to me. There's a bigger Safeway and Harris Teeter in Capitol Hill and the new Safeway at City Vista, as well as Pentagon Row if you want to cross the river. Also, if you are bringing a car, parking isn't quite as tight here as in other neighborhoods (and often cheaper to rent a spot if you so choose).

It's definitely been going through a lot of redevelopment. They're still working on the Waterfront metro and are planning to have the new Safeway & CVS (hopefully along with other retail tenants) ready early next year. So far they've made pretty good progress. The Navy Yard area (SE) has also had a lot of new things going up, so it'll be interesting. If you've found any specific places you like, I can weigh in on those.

Old 04-01-2009, 03:34 PM

1,340 posts, read 3,678,334 times
Thanks. How is the rent? I'd be looking for a townhouse with maybe 2 other guys. The location is actually pretty nice for me. I'd need a car to drive to SE DC to the Fire Academy at Boiling AFB since the Metro doesn't run early enough. It would just be a temporary location and we may split up after the academy is over(or the lease runs out). We'd each be starting at about $44k. Is there a lot of crime or something in the area? It seems nice because its so close to the mall and Chinatown. Not a long metro ride away from everything else either. Like you said, its not Dupont, but Dupont isn't an option for me anyway based on the price. I was looking at places like Petworth or Brookland which SW seems like it might be more exciting that those. The ballpark district seems very interesting as well, but it seems a little expensive there. Thanks again!

aristotlenova... just curious, why don't you like the area? Thanks.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:56 PM

3,276 posts, read 10,370,060 times
Quote:
Thanks. How is the rent? I'd be looking for a townhouse with maybe 2 other guys. The location is actually pretty nice for me. I'd need a car to drive to SE DC to the Fire Academy at Boiling AFB since the Metro doesn't run early enough. It would just be a temporary location and we may split up after the academy is over(or the lease runs out). We'd each be starting at about $44k. Is there a lot of crime or something in the area? It seems nice because its so close to the mall and Chinatown. Not a long metro ride away from everything else either. Like you said, its not Dupont, but Dupont isn't an option for me anyway based on the price. I was looking at places like Petworth or Brookland which SW seems like it might be more exciting that those. The ballpark district seems very interesting as well, but it seems a little expensive there. Thanks again!

aristotlenova... just curious, why don't you like the area? Thanks.
For a 2-bedroom townhouse (though you'd be looking for a 3-bedroom) it's roughly $2100-2300. I'm not sure about 3-bedrooms, but I just saw one nearby for $2800 (I can send you a message about it). I found mine on CraigsList, and a few are sometimes advertised on Long & Foster's rental section. I don't have much experience with Petworth or Brookland, so I can't compare the areas too much, but SW is closer to Bolling. Regarding safety, I've never felt unsafe (I'm all of 5 feet tall and have no delusions about my strength, or lack thereof). Further south it can get sketchier, but G Street, I Street, 3rd-9th are fine. There's low-income housing at 2nd & I down to K Street, so there wouldn't be much there.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,417 times
Hi,

I'm posting here as I have a similar question as RLCMA...

I'm looking for an apartment/condo (to buy) in an urban or urban-like area for a single, young professional. I've heard and checked out Arlington but am trying to find other options. I work near the Falls Church metro.

I think DC could potentially be a good fit and have heard good things from this thread and others about Foggy Bottom, Dupon, Georgetown and Chinatown. One question is - what is it like to live in DC in regards to government services (i.e. healthcare, trash removal, snow removal, does it depend on the building, etc) - I've previously heard that the services were better in VA than in DC...is this really an issue?

My budget (for purchase) is probably 300K or less which I realize might not make it in Dupont or Georgetown, but I have seen properties with those types of price tags - of the ones mentioned - which is the best?

Thoughts/suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or