Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2009, 06:28 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,423,702 times

Advertisements

Hi all -

My wife and I will be visiting DC for about 5 days in June, before heading up the coast to New England.

I need help with a place to stay, as I know there are definite "good" ares and "bad" areas.

I was told to avoid Capitol Hill area for its proximity to bad areas. I was told to stay in Georgetown, and that walking / riding the Metro is no problem to get to the standard tourist stuff (Capitol Building, White House, FBI Building, Lincoln Memorial, Smithsonian, etc.)

Is that good advice? I know Georgetown is a beautiful area, but is it close enough and safe enough for walking to stuff?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 06:41 PM

470 posts, read 2,096,183 times
Check out Jury's Hotel at Dupont Circle.

Good staff, good rate. Next to the metro and much more centrally located than Georgetown.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:51 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,716,798 times
Georgetown is a very nice area, but it's main downside is that getting to the metro can be a pain. Dupont's a good area, and you can also look at places in downtown near the Farragut, McPhereson Square, or Metro Center stations. As for Capitol Hill, it's a safe area, and definitely not a place you should avoid. You can grab lunch there while checking out the Capitol, or walk over to Eastern Market (big farmer's market). Most of the restaurants and shops are on Pennsylvania Avenue between 2nd and 8th, 8th Street SE between PA Avenue and the highway, and up next to Eastern Market itself (7th Street a few blocks north of Pennsylvania).

Old 04-06-2009, 09:44 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
Georgetown is certainly safe (it's very posh, and a tourist destination in its own right) and still pretty close and convenient, but I agree that you're better off looking at Dupont Circle. Dupont Circle is a fun neighborhood, has tons of shops and restaurants, is more conveniently located for Metro, and is safe. I agree with above - no need to avoid Capitol Hill. If you do stay in Georgetown take a look at the bus maps, too, as sometimes tourists forget that DC has buses in addition to the metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC