Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 07:40 PM

123 posts, read 246,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post
I've always liked Oyamel (Mexican). If you go for lunch it's a little cheaper (that's usually when I end up going), so you can probably do it under $25 each. It's mostly antojitos (tapas), so we get a few to share. During the week they have little bocadillos, which I usually order. That plus sharing an order of guacamole is plenty. Zengo's also good (Latin/Asian fusion), as is Tabaq Bistro (Mediterranean).

Jewish delis are a little hard to come by here. Let me know if you find one!
Great! Will check that out.

Yeah, I found a few Jewish delis via google, and there are a few in Fairfax. Eh, so out of the way, but might as well give it a shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGriffith View Post
Heritage India on Wisconsin Avenue in Glover Park.

Bamian on Leesburg Pike in Falls Church (Afghan).

We don't do Mexican very well here, but how about Central American?
Irene's Pupuseria 3 on Georgia Avenye near the Wheaton Metro stop.

We don't do Italian very well either. Head up to Baltimore for that.

But what we do here, that no one else does, is Ethiopian.
Get a balcony seat at Meskerem in Adams Morgan and dig in with your hands.

Bon appetit.
Thanks! I've wanted to try an Ethiopian place, but everyone I know is so bland with their taste in food. Screw it, if I can't find someone, I'll just go alone or drag the boyfriend along.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceejamon View Post
Hello, fellow foodie. I tend to prefer ethnic food, and I typically avoid the fancy-fusion-neo-cosmo whatever that is in overpriced abundance here. Give me a hole in the wall where caucasians look out of place over that any day!

There is some excellent Ethiopian around here like mentioned above. I went to Dukem on U-Street recently, and it was excellent.

For something a little different, check out El Pollo Rico in Arlington. It's Peruvian roasted chicken, and it's a messy plate of awesome from a hole-in-the-wall. Be prepared to wait, though. The line is frequently outside the building. I recommend going for a late lunch / early dinner on a Saturday to avoid the crowd.

If you live in DC, you've gotta at least try Ben's Chili Bowl. It's far from gourmet, but is actually quite good. Don't think diner-food - the portions aren't rediculously large, and it's actually not that greasy for what it is. The chili-half-smoke is where it's at, split an order of fries with somebody, and get a shake.

Tex-Mex and Italian don't exist here in any respectable form. You can find some decent tapas, though, but I've yet to explore that enough to make a recommendation.

The best Cajun food in town is at my house. If you find a decent Cajun/Creole restaurant, let me know!
Love it. Yeah, I'm all about hole in the wall places... more for bar hopping than anything, but I'll check the place in Arlington out. I've been told about Ben's Chili Bowl, and the half-smoke. I had NO clue what a half-smoke was, and was laughed at by my co-workers because of it. Granted, they're natives, and I'm from Ohio via Florida.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGriffith View Post
We don't do Italian very well either. Head up to Baltimore for that.

Oh.. I forgot to ask.. so, about Baltimore, where can I find good Italian food? I'm there on occasion.

Old 04-10-2009, 05:57 AM

281 posts, read 1,008,432 times
For Italian, I love Sesto Senso in Dupont. It's gorgeous inside, never very busy, and the food's always been delicious. Last time we were there I had the tortellini with butternut squash and a butter sage sauce. It was heaven. The service can sometimes be a little slow - it seems to be a family run place, and the servers sometimes have a tendency to just stand around chatting. But they're very friendly, and the food has always been great.

We also discovered Anna Maria's (also in Dupont, I think) one night by accident. It's definitely a hole in the wall kind of place - dark and kind of dingy inside. The food was pretty good - just basic Italian classics with no frills. It was ok...Sesto Senso is much nicer though.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:34 AM

470 posts, read 2,095,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordPony90 View Post
Oh.. I forgot to ask.. so, about Baltimore, where can I find good Italian food? I'm there on occasion.
Baltimore has a Little Italy, with high-end stuff along with the tiny neighborhood spots.

Aldo's and La Scala are both great.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:24 AM

79 posts, read 250,422 times
$15-20 per plate (not per person, right?) gives you lots of great options when your friend is visiting.

I think Tom Sietsema's annual restaurant guide is a good starting point, so have a look there:

2008 Fall Dining Guide - Washington Post food critic Tom Sietsema's Top Restaurant Recommendations. (washingtonpost.com)

Among my personal favorites that would fall into your budget and the types of cuisine you mentioned:

Rasika (Contemporary Indian -- AMAZING)
Jaleo (the best Tapas place in DC)
Oyamel (best Mexican in the city -- Rosa Mexicano is good too, but more expensive)
Tosca Ristorante (I personally think this is the best Italian place in the city, but there are many others that people swear by. Olives is also a favorite, but it's not traditional Italian)

Old 04-10-2009, 12:05 PM

180 posts, read 666,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aristotlenova View Post
$15-20 per plate (not per person, right?) gives you lots of great options when your friend is visiting.

I think Tom Sietsema's annual restaurant guide is a good starting point, so have a look there:

2008 Fall Dining Guide - Washington Post food critic Tom Sietsema's Top Restaurant Recommendations. (washingtonpost.com)

Among my personal favorites that would fall into your budget and the types of cuisine you mentioned:

Rasika (Contemporary Indian -- AMAZING)
Jaleo (the best Tapas place in DC)
Oyamel (best Mexican in the city -- Rosa Mexicano is good too, but more expensive)
Tosca Ristorante (I personally think this is the best Italian place in the city, but there are many others that people swear by. Olives is also a favorite, but it's not traditional Italian)
I keep hearing about Jaleo, but haven't tried it yet. I think I may give it a shot this weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC