Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 02:43 AM

123 posts, read 246,323 times

Advertisements

I've searched the forum, and while I found a few helpful posts, I figured I'd start a new thread in hopes of finding a few good places for a foodie in need.

Basically, I've lived in the D.C. area for under a year, and haven't had much time to explore many restaurants in the area. In all honesty, I just haven't taken the time! So, a friend from Ohio is visiting me next month, and she's a foodie much like myself. We're both really into Indian, Cajun, Mexican, and Italian. Would like to keep the cost to under $25 a plate. $15-20 ideally. Any suggestions? That goes for any other sort of food - this would be solely for myself. I'm up for anything.

Oh, and does anyone know of any good Jewish delis? The boyfriend and myself have been interested in visiting a good one in the area.

Lots of questions... but I want to make this a good visit for my friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 06:27 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,712,491 times
I've always liked Oyamel (Mexican). If you go for lunch it's a little cheaper (that's usually when I end up going), so you can probably do it under $25 each. It's mostly antojitos (tapas), so we get a few to share. During the week they have little bocadillos, which I usually order. That plus sharing an order of guacamole is plenty. Zengo's also good (Latin/Asian fusion), as is Tabaq Bistro (Mediterranean).

Jewish delis are a little hard to come by here. Let me know if you find one!

Old 04-09-2009, 06:43 AM

470 posts, read 2,095,520 times
Heritage India on Wisconsin Avenue in Glover Park.

Bamian on Leesburg Pike in Falls Church (Afghan).

We don't do Mexican very well here, but how about Central American?
Irene's Pupuseria 3 on Georgia Avenye near the Wheaton Metro stop.

We don't do Italian very well either. Head up to Baltimore for that.

But what we do here, that no one else does, is Ethiopian.
Get a balcony seat at Meskerem in Adams Morgan and dig in with your hands.

Bon appetit.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:24 AM

180 posts, read 667,011 times
Hello, fellow foodie. I tend to prefer ethnic food, and I typically avoid the fancy-fusion-neo-cosmo whatever that is in overpriced abundance here. Give me a hole in the wall where caucasians look out of place over that any day!

There is some excellent Ethiopian around here like mentioned above. I went to Dukem on U-Street recently, and it was excellent.

For something a little different, check out El Pollo Rico in Arlington. It's Peruvian roasted chicken, and it's a messy plate of awesome from a hole-in-the-wall. Be prepared to wait, though. The line is frequently outside the building. I recommend going for a late lunch / early dinner on a Saturday to avoid the crowd.

If you live in DC, you've gotta at least try Ben's Chili Bowl. It's far from gourmet, but is actually quite good. Don't think diner-food - the portions aren't rediculously large, and it's actually not that greasy for what it is. The chili-half-smoke is where it's at, split an order of fries with somebody, and get a shake.

Tex-Mex and Italian don't exist here in any respectable form. You can find some decent tapas, though, but I've yet to explore that enough to make a recommendation.

The best Cajun food in town is at my house. If you find a decent Cajun/Creole restaurant, let me know!

Old 04-09-2009, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceejamon View Post
You can find some decent tapas, though, but I've yet to explore that enough to make a recommendation.
I like Las Tapas in Old Town Alexandria. Nothing too crazy, but reminds me exactly of what I ate while studying in Spain. If you go there later on in the evening (we stopped by around 8 or 9 for hookah and a few tapas) the waiters and their friends congregate in a back table of the bar area and whip out guitars for some impromptu flamenco music. They also have an actual flamenco band come during the weekend, but I just loved that they were hanging out in the back with a carafe of wine and playing music.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:38 AM

180 posts, read 667,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post
I like Las Tapas in Old Town Alexandria. Nothing too crazy, but reminds me exactly of what I ate while studying in Spain. If you go there later on in the evening (we stopped by around 8 or 9 for hookah and a few tapas) the waiters and their friends congregate in a back table of the bar area and whip out guitars for some impromptu flamenco music. They also have an actual flamenco band come during the weekend, but I just loved that they were hanging out in the back with a carafe of wine and playing music.
That sounds like my kind of place. I'm also very jealous that you studied in Spain. If you haven't seen it, you should rent "L'auberge Espagnole."

Old 04-09-2009, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceejamon View Post
That sounds like my kind of place. I'm also very jealous that you studied in Spain. If you haven't seen it, you should rent "L'auberge Espagnole."
I love that movie! It made me...."Spain"-sick (??) I guess you could say?

Old 04-09-2009, 01:00 PM

573 posts, read 2,505,160 times
I'm sad that you guys have said there isn't really good Italian in DC
Any good breakfast places?

Old 04-09-2009, 02:11 PM

470 posts, read 2,095,520 times
Well, it's not as if there are zero decent Italian restaurants in town. Tosca is good. Expensive though.

DC just doesn't have any old Italian neighborhoods the way the other big east coast cities do, so it's not a part of our culinary scene.

We're also woefully lacking in quality and quantity of both street food and DINERS.

But for breakfast, there's The Diner. It's on 18th street in Adams-Morgan.

If you meant brunch, I'm a huge fan of Belga on 8th street SE.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:46 PM

573 posts, read 2,505,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGriffith View Post
Well, it's not as if there are zero decent Italian restaurants in town. Tosca is good. Expensive though.

DC just doesn't have any old Italian neighborhoods the way the other big east coast cities do, so it's not a part of our culinary scene.

We're also woefully lacking in quality and quantity of both street food and DINERS.

But for breakfast, there's The Diner. It's on 18th street in Adams-Morgan.

If you meant brunch, I'm a huge fan of Belga on 8th street SE.
Breakfast, brunch--anything with eggs, toast, waffles--and I'm happy
Thanks for the recommendations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC