Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 02:10 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,563,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleSeaGoat View Post
Are you kidding me. Were I your landlord, I would have crumpled up your "documentation" and flung it back at you and Sophia.
And you probably would have been hit with a lawsuit from the city. The concept of an emotional support animal isn't that uncommon. You may find it to be BS, but it's an accepted therapeutic technique.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 02:12 PM

3 posts, read 16,676 times
An emotional support animal is legal. A pet can help those with emotional illness, mental, the elderly, children, over weight people etc....improve and progress these types os lives. So if my landlord would have done that, he would of been without a job. I payed 2100 per month to live in my 1 bedroom apartment. You best believe that they knew the law and made sure to follow it. Everyone including Maria the property manager LOVED Sophia. In fact its legal in many states and falls under the Disability laws.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:17 PM

3 posts, read 16,676 times
Its supported with facts, and stats from many studied from the top in the Field. You don't have to only shown signs of a disability physically. Remember that sir.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:22 PM

3,957 posts, read 2,573,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGenevese View Post
If you get your animal registered as a Emotional support animal (Like a service animal but without real classes or training) IN DC, its considered a wheel chair and not a pet. I did it with my poodle. Went online, googled it. Ordered the documentation needed and got a letter from my therapyst which is NOT NEEDED in DC but helped and my Sophia was in rent free and no deposit. The building did not allow any dogs...I was the first and then other neighbors also got them as well
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleSeaGoat View Post
Are you kidding me. Were I your landlord, I would have crumpled up your "documentation" and flung it back at you and Sophia.
You could not just crumple it up and fling it back. There are forms that allow a tenant to have a pet, as MGenevese said.

That said, I will never have a pet in an apartment, after experiencing my neighbors pets. Six months ago there were no pets. Now there are at three or four on my end of the building. They are loud, barking when ever their owners aren't home or when someone even walks past their apartment door.

Plus, some of the tenants don't look after their pets properly. They let them do their business on the small hill beside our building- never bringing a bag out with them. I heard two kids playing on that hill, talking about stepping in it. Nice (not!!).

One dog is going to get ran over if the owner isn't more careful. She lets this little dash-hound roam and he goes down the road. I almost hit him when he started to run out in front of me- a car was coming up the hill, I would have had no place to go if she hadn''t stopped.

I do wish I had the companionship of a pet but an apt. isn't really a good place. I understand others feel differently and that's fine. But still, pets deserve enough space- more than most apartments can give.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:32 PM

229 posts, read 515,162 times
Quote:
An emotional support animal is legal. A pet can help those with emotional illness, mental, the elderly, children, over weight people etc....improve and progress these types os lives. So if my landlord would have done that, he would of been without a job. I payed 2100 per month to live in my 1 bedroom apartment. You best believe that they knew the law and made sure to follow it. Everyone including Maria the property manager LOVED Sophia. In fact its legal in many states and falls under the Disability laws.
Hey, congratulations on working the system. You were successful in hoodwinking some helpless government official into believing that you were emotionally handcuffed to your poodle. And then, by your admission, your neighbors followed your proud example, having also convinced the same government ******* of a substantial symbiotic relationship between them and their pets, and thus were likewise qualified for the same benefit, granting them a "legitimate" discount, a fact of which you're gleefully proud.

Last edited by HumbleSeaGoat; 02-08-2012 at 03:38 PM..

Old 02-08-2012, 02:42 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,458,827 times
Quote:
If you get your animal registered as a Emotional support animal (Like a service animal but without real classes or training) IN DC, its considered a wheel chair and not a pet. I did it with my poodle. Went online, googled it. Ordered the documentation needed and got a letter from my therapyst which is NOT NEEDED in DC but helped and my Sophia was in rent free and no deposit. The building did not allow any dogs...I was the first and then other neighbors also got them as well
Just for clarification, are you actually emotionally dependent on a poodle or did you abuse the law for personal gain?

Old 02-08-2012, 03:30 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,563,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Flower View Post
I do wish I had the companionship of a pet but an apt. isn't really a good place. I understand others feel differently and that's fine. But still, pets deserve enough space- more than most apartments can give.
We've got two cats in our 2 BR apartment, and it works out great for them. Not a fan of the dogs upstairs though.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:21 PM

100 posts, read 162,527 times
I don't question the use of pets for emotional disabilities, but it is possible to read the statement about the poodle as "I went out and got a certification I didn't need so I could have a dog in an apartment compex that didn't allow it".

Old 02-09-2012, 12:49 PM

460 posts, read 1,017,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaFlorida View Post
Why does every pet friendly apartment in the DC metro area I've seen thus far take advantage of pet owners??? I can TOTALLY understand charging an additional refundable pet deposit, or maybe even a small initial pet fee (they do leave a smell and hair in hard to clean places). But for all these apartments to charge upwards of a $700 pet fee, $50 a month pet rent AND the deposit, is a bit much. What am I paying pet rent for? They don't charge additional rent for babies. Newborn baby rent. Sure they smell better, but it's a little rediculous. Anyone know of a nice pet friendly apartment complex that doesnt charge these foolish tack on fees??
I have two large dogs, and yes the fees in this area are ridiculous! Have you considered renting a townhouse or home right outside of town? Might be a better option. We ended up with a town home.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:18 PM

566 posts, read 1,557,004 times
This is an interesting thread. I was actually just thinking about this issue a few days ago. I live in a no dogs/ no cats high rise co-op in DC. Over the years, there have been bitter, emotional debates over whether or not to allow pets. In our building, noise travels and there's no service elevator, so a single dog that barks incessantly would be a major disruption to the entire floor, and the case against cats has been our shared ventilation systems which could let dander travel. That being said, I'm just waiting for the day when our first "emotional support" dog arrives. I have a friend who moved to a no dogs building only for two people (including the live-in manager) to get "emotional support" dogs shortly after. While I certainly agree with the therapeutic benefits of a support animal and would hate to deprive anyone from needed companionship, these rules are just too easy for people to take advantage of. It's going to be very interesting to see how this scenario impacts condo dwellers as it becomes more widely-known that the rule is so easily applied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC