Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2009, 06:25 AM

2 posts, read 29,875 times

Advertisements

I've lived here for 10 years, and my oldest just turned 13. I"m transitioning to more teen activities in the DC area, especially if my son has friend over. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 07:11 AM

55 posts, read 185,966 times
Water parks, Amusement parks, the Spy Museum to start. The Smithsonian has lots of events for his age group. It really depends what your son is interested in.

Old 04-11-2009, 09:07 AM

301 posts, read 804,354 times
Don't do the spy museum! It's a waste of your money!

I went there when I was 13... I had always wanted to go since I heard about it on TV, and then it was a total let down. It might bee fun for like an 8 year old, because you get to climb in a duct... but other than that... don't do it.

What about just letting your son hang out at a mall or go see a movie with his friends? At that age... those are the most fun 'teen' things to do. And they're very cheap and easy.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:36 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,921,570 times
The best things to do with teenage boys are to exhaust them. Here are some ideas:

Skateboard parks. There are several in northern Virginia, and probably some in Maryland as well, though I'm not certain about that.

Cycling on the bike paths. Depending upon where you live, you can head into DC, and ride along the Potomac to Mount Vernon, or head out of town to a suburban center for ice cream and burgers. If you have mountain bikes, you can also ride along the C&O Canal towpath.

Paintball or Air-soft. Or if you're sufficiently adventurous, find a gun club open to the public and let them learn to shoot real guns.

Kayaking or sailing on the Potomac. If you're renting kayaks, you will probably need an adult for each boy, as they will not be allowed in a single under age 16.

Old 04-12-2009, 02:57 PM

10 posts, read 52,682 times
LaserTag

Old 04-26-2009, 04:47 AM

2 posts, read 29,875 times
Thanks for the great suggestions!

Old 04-28-2009, 09:58 AM

741 posts, read 2,780,661 times
biking the mt Vernon trail and into DC for the win!

Old 09-27-2009, 01:21 PM

1 posts, read 13,949 times
I know exactly how you feel. My son is 15 and we just moved here from GA a while ago. He struggles with things to do as well. We lived in a neighborhood in GA where the kids were all very active in sports. Every day they were at one anothers house playing football, basketball, baseball, or something. They also roller skated a lot. But unfortunately he hasn't found that here. Many of the kids his age from school just want to hang out at shopping malls and that is not his thing. So it has been quite an adjustment. I'm really hoping that we can find a baptist church in the chevy chase area that has an active youth group or something that he can get involved in.

Old 09-27-2009, 01:55 PM

605 posts, read 2,160,307 times
Does you son enjoy outdoor activities? If so, this is a great area for them.

There are a bunch of climbing gyms in the area. I recommend Earth Treks and Sport Rock. Both have indoor and outdoor classes for kids and teens. I can not, however particularly recommend any of the instructional groups not affiliated with those gyms.

For boating, try renting from Jack's or Fletcher's boathouses. Both have canoes and Kayaks. At Fletcher's, you can choose to boat on the canal in a kayak, canoe, or rowboat or you can take the to Potomac in a canoe or kayak.

This is a great area for biking. If you're looking for tails other than the Capital Crescent, Mount Vernon, and Beech Drive, go to any REI store to get some inexpensive guidebooks for the local area.

Hiking opportunities are also plentiful. Again, I would recommend REI as a good place to get set up with guidebooks. In some cases, you have to drive an hour or two to get to the trailhead, but if your son will tolerate it, that time is a good way to get caught up with each other.

This is a great time of year for corn mazes and harvest festivals. Some are geared toward younger kids, but the Leesburg maze at Temple Hall Farm (Welcome to The MAiZE at Temple Hall Farm Regional Park (http://www.nvrpa.org/parks/themaize/ - broken link)) is a blast for all ages. (My husband and I try to go every year.) For other seasonal ideas, check out the Washington Post. Either grab the Weekend section from the Friday paper or go to the Going Out Guide online (Restaurants, Bars, Events in DC, MD and VA on washingtonpost.com) and search "kid friendly." The search term does include activities designed for small children, but also includes all-ages activities during the day that don't involve alcohol or adult themes.

Your son is also at a good age to get involved in community service. I know that the Capitol Area Food Bank, along with a lot of other organizations always need volunteers. Often food banks do not require a regular commitment.

Lastly, I've always loved the Spy Museum. Not everyone's the museum type, though. I hear that the Newseum also has a lot of interactive displays that hold the interest of children and adults alike.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:33 AM

220 posts, read 704,002 times

-Lasertag (closest ones are located in Arlington, VA and Gaithersburg, MD)
-Dave and Busters (White Flint Mall in North Bethesda, MD)
-ESPN zone (Downtown D.C. at metro center)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC