Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 09:15 AM

168 posts, read 424,628 times

Advertisements

Let me give you some background on myself. I moved to Northern Virginia from Newark, NJ to take a job that is in DC last November. I was familiar with the area since my sister has lived here for about 7 years. When I would come down to visit, I generally liked the area (but then again this was during college and all we were coming down to do was hang out and party, see friends, etc.) At first when moving here, I did like some things such as my car insurance being cheaper, but other than that I've found it to be even more expensive here than North Jersey. My job doesn't pay very well, and while I am in the process of possibly getting another one (that only pays slightly more), I am wondering if I should even bother or just move to an area I want to be and figure things out once I get there. I want to live either in Florida (South Florida or Tampa) or back in North Jersey or NYC. Honestly, everyone in the DC area is some political nutcase that tries to push their agendas on you while reading The Economist and sipping wine they don't even like, but say they do because it fits their image. Other people my age here are in that "wealthy young professional" bracket and have no interest in anyone that doesn't make 75 grand or more a year. Everyone I'm friends with has two or even three jobs just to rent a bedroom of a house in questionable neighborhoods. On top of all that, I can't stand the guy that moved into the basement of my house (my landlord controls who moves in, not me.) Even if I get the new job, I probably won't be able to afford my own place, which I had in NJ. So much for this area being cheaper.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:13 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,457,360 times
Going home to a place where you cannot relax will break you down. I sympathize. Until last month I lived in a group house in dupont, and my roommate situation went to hell.

I really don't run into many wine-drinking political twits outside of work in DC. I really don't know the NOVA scene at all. Maybe you'd like downtown better.

Not sure who would have told you DC metro was going to be less expensive than Newark.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:54 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,711,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-fens View Post
Honestly, everyone in the DC area is some political nutcase that tries to push their agendas on you while reading The Economist and sipping wine they don't even like, but say they do because it fits their image. Other people my age here are in that "wealthy young professional" bracket and have no interest in anyone that doesn't make 75 grand or more a year. Everyone I'm friends with has two or even three jobs just to rent a bedroom of a house in questionable neighborhoods.
I haven't really run into many people like that, but if that's all you know then I don't really blame you for not liking it here. Maybe change where you hang out or join some MeetUp groups?

DC isn't for everyone and in the end you should go where you want to be. If it's relatively minor things that you can change (i.e. find a new place to live and avoid the bad neighbor, find non-nutcase people to go out with) then maybe give the area a shot, since you have a job and a place to sleep (could be worse). If that doesn't help, then look into moving somewhere you'd be more comfortable.

By the way, whoever said that DC is cheaper than North Jersey is grossly misinformed. At best they'd be somewhat equal, but I'm pretty sure it's pricier down here.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:36 AM

381 posts, read 813,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-fens View Post
Honestly, everyone in the DC area is some political nutcase that tries to push their agendas on you while reading The Economist and sipping wine they don't even like, but say they do because it fits their image.

Wrong

Old 10-28-2009, 11:39 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,699,990 times
I think you were mislead if someone told you DC would be cheaper than Newark, of all places.

Perhaps the problem is that you're in Northern Virginia. I find that area tends to be heavily concentrated in the wine-sipping politicos of which you speak.

Spend some time in Mt. Pleasant / Adams Morgan / U and 14th etc... during the week (not necessarily the weekend when all the Virginians flood the city). You'll probably change your perception of the city. It's really not at all homogenous and does have a whole lot of really interesting people, but it does have a heavy concentration of highly educated professionals driven by career.

If you don't like that, you'll probably never like DC. Given the fact that you'd prefer Tampa, my guess is you'll never like that.

Good luck!

Old 10-28-2009, 12:44 PM

572 posts, read 1,870,198 times
I suggest you try Atlanta, Georgia. It's cheaper.

Every place has nutcases; it's just different types of nutcases wherever you go. In Atlanta you'll run into religious nutcases who read The WatchTower and sip on sweet tea, lol.

Old 10-28-2009, 01:15 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,559,095 times
I'll take the nutcases here over the ones I used to run into in Ohio.

Old 10-28-2009, 01:41 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,457,360 times
Fortunately there are enough Philly nutcase transplants for me to still feel at home here. Between Monday Night Football here and the World Series starting tonight, we're out in full force this week. Not much wine and politics in that crowd.

Old 10-28-2009, 01:47 PM

123 posts, read 503,940 times
You need to pull yourself up and stop whinning like a kid. You're referring to questionable neighborhoods, yet you lived in Newark NJ. You seem like a good fit in your parents basement!

Old 10-28-2009, 05:24 PM

168 posts, read 424,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWALDON View Post
You need to pull yourself up and stop whinning like a kid. You're referring to questionable neighborhoods, yet you lived in Newark NJ. You seem like a good fit in your parents basement!
Wow, talk about the pot calling the kettle black in the maturity category. Yes, it was not a nice place in Newark but at least I felt a sense of community. That is absolutely absent in this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC