Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2009, 05:43 PM

74 posts, read 276,877 times

Advertisements

After researching commute times and community infrastructure, we have decided that staying close to DC, near a metro line would best fit our needs. NOw the question is do we want to be in Maryland or Virginia. Basing opinions on surroundings comfort of living, which state would you reccomend? Also, is one state noticeably higher in terms of taxes than the other?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 10:32 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,497,065 times
It might help if you better define 'we'. Is it just two of you? Straight or gay couple? You and your dog? Or is this multiple, like you and your nine kids and menangerie of pets?

And then what brings you to DC? Tourists? Students? Working here? Panhandling near busy intersections? On the run from law enforcement?

To what are you commuting? Would any metro line do or are you looking at one in particular?

And finally the whole tax question needs to be clarified. Income? Property? Sales?

Based on the information given, I'd recommend Delaware.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:06 AM

470 posts, read 2,088,474 times
Yeah, we get a lot of people posting questions about where to move, but you only get good advice if you provide lots of information about your specific situation.

Do you care about schools? Will you be renting or buying? How much space do you need?

The differences between Maryland and Virginia inside the beltway are largely irrelevant -- it's all about the neighborhood you choose.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:26 PM

We is my wife, 2 little boys and myself. We will be looking to rent as we cant sell where we currently own. I am looking at the possibility of a transfer for work, the office would be in the vicinity of LEnfant Plaza. As stated before, we are looking to rent. Realistically a 2bd, if we are lucky a 3bd. We have not calculated a strict price range but noticed with move-in specials and private owners, we should be able to find something in our price range with some looking around. Schools are important but more for my wife as she is an elementary school teacher. Still looking for a job so finding a good area to base her search is one of my reason for accessing this forum. We want something close to the metro. I have seen several buildings in Crystal Springs that are very close to metro and have tot lots and pools. This seems appealing to us as I can avoid the 1 hour plus commute I would face if I ended up in Woodbridge or Manassas. As far as taxes, I was asking in case one state had a significantly higher income tax rate than the other. Our combinded income will be about $175k. Thanks for taking the time to assist, we appreciate it.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:49 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,203,455 times
Well I don't know a lot about Maryland. But I will vouch for the Vienna metro at the end of the orange line. But I like where I live in Oakton which is next to Vienna, it's not walking distance to the metro it's about a 5 or 10 minute drive and there's a bus that goes to the metro that I see a lot of well dressed folks take. So yeah Vienna is good and family friendly. Of course being at the end of the orange line it might take 30 to 45 minutes to get into the city. I could be wrong about the time been a while since I rode the metro.

Now what I do know about the Maryland side is that Silver Spring is nice a little more older and urban than Vienna so if you want something more suburban then Vienna would be your better choice but if you want a little bit of city without being in the city then Silver Spring is a good one.

Rockville is nice but again Virginia is my hood so know a little more about that than Maryland. I know someone who doesn't have a car that lived in Rockville loved living next to the metro. He lives in Pentagon City which would be a shorter commute for you.

As far as your wife is concerned it depends on what type of atmosphere she wants to teach in. There is more demand in the more challenged school districts like the District and Prince Georges county in Maryland than Fairfax or Loudon counties on the Virginia side. So if your wife doesn't mind a rough school I'm sure there are schools in DC and PG county that will hire her pretty quick. Although she won't be too thrilled about her commute. So my final answer is somewhere near the Vienna metro and she can get a job with Fairfax county.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:50 PM

50 posts, read 201,959 times
Virginia 5.75%, MD 6.25% state income tax

Sales tax in VA 5%, in MD 6%

Old 05-01-2009, 03:52 PM

Thanks.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:01 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,203,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckz View Post
Virginia 5.75%, MD 6.25% state income tax

Sales tax in VA 5%, in MD 6%
I did not know that. Interesting. Although at the end of the day half a percent income tax won't break the bank. That would influence my thinking but it wouldn't be a deal breaker if there was a place in Maryland that I liked that was a better price than something similar in Virginia.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:13 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,199,892 times
Traffic, while bad in both Maryland and Virginia, is much, much worse in Virginia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC