Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 09:08 AM

4 posts, read 6,718 times

Advertisements

This may come as a shock or surprise to some of you out there.
My family and I absolutely love living in the DC area. We are located in a suburb of DC and are close to a Metro. Life is good, we no longer need to use our car as much and have everything in close proximity.
We found a rental in a great neighborhood with lots of kids our own child's age. For those of you nail biting about moving to DC...don't. Do your research, use your common sense and take the plunge. Find a good suburb and do it. We've lived all around the West and East. The people out here are busy, focused, intelligent folks. People are super-duper friendly and there are so many things to do all the time - the majority of it FREE.
Most importantly - I must stress - do your research, lots of it. Don't rely on one opinion; don't just rely on this website either.

Last edited by mariesworld; 05-12-2009 at 09:10 AM.. Reason: Little font marks all over it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 02:51 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,889,151 times
Which 'burb are you in?

Old 05-13-2009, 09:25 AM

74 posts, read 278,051 times
Really excited to hear the positive remarks, could you follow it up with the area you live in. My wife and I currently searching.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:29 AM

Hello, we're in Northern VA - Alexandria. Great Area! Good schools, - Fairfax County.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:44 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,700,997 times
Doesn't have to be a suburb. Plenty of really nice neighborhoods in the city that fit that same description and quality of life.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:03 PM

847 posts, read 3,352,726 times
City schools = blech.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:06 PM

3 posts, read 4,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Doesn't have to be a suburb. Plenty of really nice neighborhoods in the city that fit that same description and quality of life.
My wife and I (no kids) are thinking about relocating from San Francisco and we'd like to move somewhere with a yard for a dog, but be close to the city via the Metro so we don't have to rely on a car all the time (we've really gotten used to public transport in SF). Any neighborhoods you'd recommend? (we'll intially rent).

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:24 PM

446 posts, read 1,647,654 times
To the folks moving from the Bay Area, just focus all of your energy on Arlington. You can't beat the close proximity to DC without having the ineffective city government politics that DC has. Metro, sidewalk cafes, working roads and an effective County Board make Arlington a great place to be!

Old 05-17-2009, 08:42 PM

519 posts, read 688,428 times
I too am newer to DC and really like it here.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:08 PM

You can't beat the Old Town area of Alexandria - beautiful and it makes you feel like you're in a small town: Alexandria, Virginia: Hotels, Restaurants, Things to Do, Virginia Vacation Information
Love it, love it, love it!! Fun place to take the kids and dog out for a stroll. Very dog friendly, the shop owners tend to keep little bowls of water and treats for pups. It was amazing to me, normally you see fancy little boutiques afraid of letting kids or animals in or near them. This was the complete opposite. I am totally in love with this area...Metro close by...can't beat it!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC