Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 08:45 PM

10 posts, read 7,877 times

Advertisements

On a scale 1-10 what would you rate the DC Metro system?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 09:12 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,152,289 times
8 or 9 for US systems. Only NYC gets a 10!

Old 06-02-2009, 09:14 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,559,095 times
Yep, I'd rank it behind only NYC. That doesn't mean there isn't a lot of room for improvement--increased areas of service, better maintenance, and so on. But in terms of American systems, it's one of the best.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:29 PM

10 posts, read 7,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
Yep, I'd rank it behind only NYC. That doesn't mean there isn't a lot of room for improvement--increased areas of service, better maintenance, and so on. But in terms of American systems, it's one of the best.
It what ways could the system be improved, if it is one of the best? Lower prices? More transit stops? What exactly do you mean?

Old 06-02-2009, 11:27 PM

331 posts, read 1,197,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolyfett! View Post
It what ways could the system be improved, if it is one of the best? Lower prices? More transit stops? What exactly do you mean?
You said it. I've been riding since 1979. At some point, it became easier and cheaper for me to drive when I worked downtown. I knew exactly when to leave, what roads to take and where to park. It always worked out cheaper for me in the long run and I was never late!! Metro used to keep me late and burn a hole in my pocket.

Now that I don't work downtown, it depends on what the event is and the time of day or day of the week.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolyfett! View Post
It what ways could the system be improved, if it is one of the best? Lower prices? More transit stops?
The prices don't tend to bother me, particularly in comparison to train systems in Europe, which tend to be more expensive than those here. But the coverage of the system could stand to be improved significantly, particularly in regards to east-west routes through the city, and underserved areas. Also, maintenance and upkeep is a major issue, leading to frequent delays and other disruptions. Increasing off-peak service would be another issue that could be addressed.

Overall, it's a great system, but when I said it's one of the best in the U.S., the key there is "in the U.S." Outside of a handful of major cities, the competition for best American subway system isn't exactly fierce.

One thing I will say: Metro is, bar none, the cleanest public transit system I have ever used. It beats the heck out of NYC, Boston, Philly and Chicago in that regard.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:00 PM

15,424 posts, read 25,792,502 times
It's the best I've seen in the US for access for those with disabilities. New York's is way behind in accessibility.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:41 AM

1,295 posts, read 2,508,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
The prices don't tend to bother me, particularly in comparison to train systems in Europe, which tend to be more expensive than those here. But the coverage of the system could stand to be improved significantly, particularly in regards to east-west routes through the city, and underserved areas. Also, maintenance and upkeep is a major issue, leading to frequent delays and other disruptions. Increasing off-peak service would be another issue that could be addressed.

Overall, it's a great system, but when I said it's one of the best in the U.S., the key there is "in the U.S." Outside of a handful of major cities, the competition for best American subway system isn't exactly fierce.

One thing I will say: Metro is, bar none, the cleanest public transit system I have ever used. It beats the heck out of NYC, Boston, Philly and Chicago in that regard.
Metro IS expensive compared to the European subway systems I've used (Paris, Rome, Madrid, Prague). Subway fares in all of these cities were well below 2 bucks.

Old 06-04-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy77 View Post
Metro IS expensive compared to the European subway systems I've used (Paris, Rome, Madrid, Prague). Subway fares in all of these cities were well below 2 bucks.
I can't speak to Rome, Madrid or Prague, as i've never ridden their systems...but the price of London and Paris's systems were certainly comparable to Metro, and in some cases more. Both of those cities operate under a zone system, so moving around within the downtown area typically cost between $2-$3. The base Metro fare is $1.35 ($1.65 during rush hour), and that will get you around pretty much the entire central part of the system. Metro only becomes a pricier system when you start riding out to the far out suburban stations.

Old 06-04-2009, 02:24 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,239,254 times
I don't know I'd give it a good solid 8 if you're in the city and a 7 in the suburbs. This is because it is so expensive. I've mentioned in another thread before that it's actually cheaper to just drive than use metro during rush hour. I've never been to a place where it's cheaper to drive a big SUV in heavy traffic than to use public transportation. So in a way using the metro is actually a luxury.

Also it isn't very good for suburb to suburb commuting, just suburb to city commuting.

On the other hand it is a good way to get around the city. It bypasses city traffic and it's pretty darn clean. I've heard so many horror stories about NYC subways but I feel perfectly safe riding the DC metro. I remember when the first time I rode it at night I was so nervous but I didn't need to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC