U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 06-10-2009, 04:52 PM

9 posts, read 12,332 times
Smile Relocating to DC Summer 2009 to attend Georgetown University

I am a single parent african-american female with a 12yr old son. I am a realtor. I plan to relocate to DC area this summer to attend Georgetown University and obtain my Master's in Real Estate. This is the only program in USA that offers everything I need in a program. I am also a RN a cardiac nurse. I hope to work for a reputable hospital in the DC area while learning the area. I have never been to the DC area therefore it's all foreign. I am in search of an area to live which will provide my 12 yr old son with a great public educational experience as well as easy access to Georgetown University Grad School. I drive a midsize SUV and plan to bring my vehicle. I realize that rent is very pricey and was wondering if the apts offered garages or covered parking. I am searching for the most cost effective plan regarding my move. Is there anyone with some suggestions or answers concerning the questions above. Thank you so much in advance!

P.S. If this helps I'm relocating from Little Rock, Arkansas

Last edited by singleparent; 06-10-2009 at 06:11 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-10-2009, 06:00 PM

183 posts, read 457,708 times
Are you going to Georgetown or GWU?

Unread 06-10-2009, 06:04 PM

Sorry I'm attending Georgetown University. I corrected the error. Do you have some info for me? Do you know anyone currently in the program or that's attended and completed the program?

Last edited by singleparent; 06-10-2009 at 06:36 PM..

Unread 06-11-2009, 06:07 AM

3,197 posts, read 6,988,415 times
I don't know much about the program, but given what you're looking for I'd look into North Arlington. If you go to Metro's website pull up a map of the orange line rail stations in Virginia (look into Clarendon, Courthouse, Virginia Square, Ballston, East/West Falls Church). You'd have the metro close by that you can take into Rosslyn or Foggy Bottom (closest metro stations to G'town; GU runs a shuttle from the Rosslyn and Foggy Bottom metro stations), having a car shouldn't be a big issue, and from what I hear the schools are decent. George Washington Hospital is also at the Foggy Bottom metro stop, if you ended up working there, and you're not too far from Inova Fairfax Hospital in Falls Church.

Unread 06-11-2009, 10:56 AM

4,033 posts, read 4,562,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post
I don't know much about the program, but given what you're looking for I'd look into North Arlington. If you go to Metro's website pull up a map of the orange line rail stations in Virginia (look into Clarendon, Courthouse, Virginia Square, Ballston, East/West Falls Church). You'd have the metro close by that you can take into Rosslyn or Foggy Bottom (closest metro stations to G'town; GU runs a shuttle from the Rosslyn and Foggy Bottom metro stations), having a car shouldn't be a big issue, and from what I hear the schools are decent. George Washington Hospital is also at the Foggy Bottom metro stop, if you ended up working there, and you're not too far from Inova Fairfax Hospital in Falls Church.
I concur. North Arlington is very cool. Bethesda is nice too. I don't know, if I had kids I'd want something more suburban like Vienna or Oakton but that commute would be a doozy during rush hour. However, you might look into getting a late shift at the hospital and take classes after rush hour though.

Last edited by terrence81; 06-11-2009 at 11:38 AM..

Unread 06-11-2009, 11:01 AM

4,033 posts, read 4,562,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singleparent View Post
[b]I drive a midsize SUV and plan to bring my vehicle. I realize that rent is very pricey and was wondering if the apts offered garages or covered parking. B]

P.S. If this helps I'm relocating from Little Rock, Arkansas
I drive an SUV too the city has a lot of smaller cars so parrallell (I know I spelt it wrong) parking can be tough. Remember there are just going to be some parking spaces that you can't fit into. Before I moved here I could count on my hands the number of times I'd parallell parked before so I had a tough time. In the city parking is a trip so that furthers the recommendation to look outside the city limits. But neighborhoods on the edge of the city tend to be better about parking versus trendy in-town neighborhoods like Geoergetown and Dupont.

Unread 06-11-2009, 11:07 AM

1,055 posts, read 3,181,560 times
Parallel parking with an SUV is an adventure if you haven't done it (hint: you should practice) but it is also important that you know the height of your vehicle EXACTLY as some of the garages in the downtown area will simply be too small for you to use.

As for neighborhoods, the close in ones are heavily cost dependent. Georgetown is a bit nuts, and other areas like Palisades, McArthur Ave, and Kent, while very very nice, are also very very expensive. Glover Park is near to campus, but not as expensive.

There are two hospitals up that way, Georgetown Univ and Sibley Hospital, just on the DC/MD border.

Not sure what schools they would go to at age 12. The elementary schools in upper upper NW (Palisades, Kent, Spring Valley) get high marks on most of the tests, but come middle school / junior high many parents give up on the DC public schools and go private.

Unread 06-11-2009, 01:33 PM

Thanks for the info this at least gives me some reference points to start doing my research. If anyone know of another single parent that lives in the suburbs mentioned above who wouldnt mind sharing info or networking with me please have he/she email me at t1o4u@yahoo.com. Also, anyone that's a RN who could share experience about working in the area hospitals, the pay, the patient load, the staff morale etc. You guys are so helpful, I'm so thankful to have found this site online.

Unread 06-11-2009, 01:57 PM

1,055 posts, read 3,181,560 times
check out dcurbanmom.com for more on schools and whatnot.

Unread 06-11-2009, 03:39 PM

After extensive research today I have finally narrowed down 3 cities Alexandria, Silver Springs and Bethesda. These appear to be within commute distance to George Washington and have good schools. Thanks penguinsix for the website I will check it out today as well. Keep the website rolling guys every bit helps. TKS!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC