Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2009, 07:14 AM

21 posts, read 60,052 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
We're new to the area and need your help with a few things... A little background: we're a family of 3 humans (husband, myself, and 3 year old daughter) and a black lab. We're moving from FL to DC after 7 years at the beaches of the Gulf of Mexico. My new job brings us to DC and we're very excited. We got an apartment at the Senate Square Apts in the Union Station area. I will work in Greenbelt and my husband's office is in downtown, so the area is very convenient. However, I'm a little lost with all the new things I need to find and was hoping I could get some recommendations from the DC experts for:
- A good pediatrician in DC (I need to get my DD there asap to get all the tests that the state of MD requires for her to attend preschool)
- A good vet in the area
- A nice dog walker that works in our area
- A dog trainer/behaviorist (other than petsmart).
- A place to enroll our daughter in gym and/or swimming lessons (she's been doing it here in FL so I want to make the transition as smooth as possible by keeping some of her routines). A playgroup would also be nice
- A good gym for me. I currently work out at the YMCA and I do spinning and pilates, so something that offers those would be great
- A soccer group/league for my husand
- The closest grocery store to our apt complex? I'd love a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's... Is there anything walking distance?
- A good/not too expensive hair salon
- closest dog park?

Sorry for the long list, but I thought some of you might have a good recommendation for one or more of these and any help is greatly appreciated!!
Thanks again,
M.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 07:23 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,716,798 times
I can only answer one of your questions, but the closest big supermarket will be the Safeway and Harris Teeter over on 14th Street SE. It'd be a hefty walk, though. There are several smaller markets in the area you can check out (go to A. Litteri's for any sort of Italian goods, it's several blocks north in the middle of a bunch of food distributors). As far as Whole Foods or Trader Joe's, you're unfortunately going to have to drive or take the Metro. The closest Whole Foods is at 14th & P NW in Logan Circle, and there are Trader Joe's in Foggy Bottom and Alexandria. I usually go to the one in Alexandria (Old Town) since they have free and easy parking (~20 minutes from Senate Square), but the one in Foggy Bottom is closer to the Metro.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:24 AM

573 posts, read 2,505,828 times
Have you tried the googlemap function where you can look for specific business types near a specific address? That might help at least with the grocery store.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:37 PM

41 posts, read 292,955 times
Check out the DC Urban Moms website (can't link to it, against the rules) for recommendations for pediatricians.

As for a vet, I think the one in Adams Morgan on 18th St. is good. There'll probably be others closer to you though, sorry, I don't know that neighborhood too well.

Old 03-20-2013, 02:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,279 times
M - First of welcome to the area! Hope your move/transition was really smooth! You didn't mention this specifically but if you were looking for a great piano teacher in the area, I'd recommend Natalie Gibson Grimes with Seeds of Sound Studio. She was wonderful; very patient; able to tailor the piano lessons to my abilities and desires. She also taught my son and Natalie made the lessons very fun for him, and kept his interest going. Hope this helps, welcome again!!

Old 03-20-2013, 03:36 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,993,664 times
Moms on the Hill

http://mothdoth.com/aboutus

Old 03-20-2013, 04:36 PM

5 posts, read 9,706 times
There is the Harris Teeter in NoMa at 1st and N NE, it's roughly 5 blocks from there. Its an easy walk, and Harris Teeter is a great grocery store.

I've heard good things about Union Vet Clinic which is a couple of blocks south of Senate Square. However, we take our dog out to the suburbs because we've had great experiences at Town and Country Animal Hospital in Fairfax.

Your closest dog park, to my knowledge, is Kingman Park, which is going to be a bit of a hike at 14th and D NE, however it's one of the best in the city for size and upkeep.

Also, I would severely recommend against joining DC Urban Moms. They're a really nasty group, and can be quite snobby to people who live outside the palatial confines of Ward 3. I can't recommend a pediatrician personally, but almost all of the doctors I've dealt with at Medical Faculty Associates, attached to GW Hospital, have been excellent and are very highly regarded in their fields.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC