U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-26-2009, 03:45 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,920,380 times

Advertisements

about halfway through the year, DC has recorded 65 homicides, compared to over 80 at this time last year, a rate of 130 or 140 for the year will put us right around 20-25 per 100,000 people, which is not great, but lower than Baltimore, Philly, New Orleans, Detroit, etc.

Baltimore has recorded nearly twice as many as DC - 110, so they will likely top 30 per 100,000 this year, sad to see what's happening up there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 11:22 PM

300 posts, read 700,289 times
Murders are down in Prince George's County this year too. I posted this in the Maryland forum the other day- http://www.city-data.com/forum/maryl...gain-year.html. They're actually down in Baltimore this year too, but barely though (Bmore is on track to record about 220 this year as opposed to 234 last year).

DC and PG County have made remarkable progress in getting their numbers down in the past few years. For example, PG County has completely razed what had been the most violent neighborhood in the county (Suitland Manor). In 2005, there were 8 murders in that single apartment complex, even with half the buildings being vacant/boarded up. I was down there a few weeks ago and apparantly they finally got around to tearing all of the buildings down. I remember hearing a while ago that they're going to replace it with mixed-income housing. If they can do something similar with the Glassmanor neighborhood in Oxon Hill and the 14th Ave/15th Ave/Kanawha St area of Langley Park, the numbers would drop even further.

In case anyone is curious, this site burgersub.org - maps of murder keeps track of all the homicides in DC, Maryland, nothern Virginia, Delaware, parts of West Virginia and New Jersey, and southern Pennsylvania up to Philadelphia.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:32 AM

3,548 posts, read 5,053,712 times
This is certainly positive news, although I would caution against using the murder rate as a barometer for a city's "safeness" (I know no one on this thread has explicitly done that, but invairably some people reading this will come to that conclusion.) So-called "quality of life" crime remains a significant issue for the District, even in more gentrified, well-to-do areas. For example, Logan Circle has seen a 25% increase in street muggings and robberies this year. In Columbia heights, the increase in violent crime over the past few years is particularly troubling.

Which is to take nothing away from the tremendous strides the city and surrounding areas have made in bringing crime levels down. Giuliani and Dinkins received a lot of credit for the significant drop in crime in NYC during the 90s, but DC's downward trajectory has been no less incredible. An annual homicide total of 130 for a city of 600,000 is still high, but is remarkably lower than the 400+ high water mark in th early 90s, when the city was smaller than it is today.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:28 PM

13,475 posts, read 14,978,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
This is certainly positive news, although I would caution against using the murder rate as a barometer for a city's "safeness" (I know no one on this thread has explicitly done that, but invairably some people reading this will come to that conclusion.) So-called "quality of life" crime remains a significant issue for the District, even in more gentrified, well-to-do areas. For example, Logan Circle has seen a 25% increase in street muggings and robberies this year. In Columbia heights, the increase in violent crime over the past few years is particularly troubling.
Yeah. Murders really do not tell you if a city is safe or not. If the city has a high number of muggings and robberies, that's when you know that you shouldn't be there. How does DC fare in regards to that. I am happy to hear that DC's murder total is going down. Most cities are but it's great to hear that for DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC