U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-01-2009, 06:39 PM

9 posts, read 11,232 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have an opportunity in my career to pick from a few different regions, and cities to move to. Currently, I have narrowed it down to D.C., Texas, Georgia, and Washington State. I know, I know those are all so different, but that's what I'm looking for, a change.

I was hoping that people would just share personal opinions, feelings, likes and dislikes about the DC area. I have kids so I am also interested in the most kid friendly neighborhoods, schools, crime, etc. Really, anything would help!!

THANKS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 07:14 PM

51 posts, read 135,287 times
I LOVE DC.

I grew up here (pg co. (prince georges co., MD in case u didnt know) and still live here (not pg tho.). I think it's an excellent area to grow up, have kids, raise a family, work, and play. There's pretty much everything here. From restaurant to race we're pretty diverse around here.

If you have young kids, I'd recommend a suburb not far from DC, but specific recommendations would require more info like $ you can spend, type of residence you prefer (apt, condo, house), distance from your job, etc. We'd be happy to help if you're interested.

As you can see, I'm very biased cause I absolutely love this entire area, but I think I speak for everyone here when I say if there's something you need in an area of residence, DC has it.

If you're looking at public schools, Montgomery county is good, as is Northern Va. DC has ok elem and middle schools, but most move their kids to private once they get to high school (at the latest).

If had to choose 1 dislike, it'd be the traffic, but honestly I don't think it's as bad as people that aren't from around here say it is (or maybe I'm just used to it.)

As far as crime, there's minor stuff everywhere. But as far as murders and violent crime, just generally stay away from the parts of Prince George's Co. (MD) that are inside the Beltway and you should be fine. Also as a *general* rule of thumb, don't look in northeast DC or *some parts* of southeast and northwest. When we get more info about your neighborhood requirements, we can guide you more specifically regarding crime.

Seriously, if the competition is Texas, Georgia, and Washington State, DC is a no-brainer IMO.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:48 PM

130 posts, read 209,156 times
Default concur with above.

Dislikes--the traffic. If you're coming from the Mid-West, be prepared for sticker shock when you house/apartment shop.

Access to nature--In Howard County, MD, I'm 30 minutes from the Bay, and two hours away from Shenendoah NationalPark

Culture. You name it, we have a museum for it, or a monument to it somewhere.

Oppurtunity. Like many--I came down here for work.

History. From Ft McHenry (Baltimore) to the battlefields of Pennsylvania, Maryland and Virginia, I can edu-tain myself quite easily...

Old 07-01-2009, 09:52 PM

1,157 posts, read 1,345,159 times
I'm originally from Omaha, too, and I moved here 30 years ago. It's a great place to raise kids. Most of the school districts are good. I should warn you, though, that rents are about double what they are there. I like the diversity and tolerance of the area---lots of brainy people here. It really depends on what you're comfortable with. The areas you mentioned are very different from each other culturally. Good luck.

Old 07-02-2009, 03:05 PM

9 posts, read 11,232 times
THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO! We are looking to spend $1500 to $2000 a month on rent, and possible buy in the range of ~$200k. I was wondering more about nature and outdoor activity. My husband likes to fish, hunt, boat, etc.

Old 07-02-2009, 04:07 PM

1,055 posts, read 3,453,598 times
The only rub against Washington is that is one of the most expensive areas in the entire country to live. $200k will not get you a 1br condo in some parts of the 'inner core' of the city or the nice suburbs, let alone a house with a yard, etc. There are a number of 'dual income' professionals (i.e. two folks with a family income of at least 6 figures) who help jack up the prices, along with a number of 'transients' who come into DC for a short time (i.e. an administration in the White House, or military personnel on assignment) who bring with them some access to additional funds. It can make finding a place difficult. In some of the nice areas of the city (zip 20016, 20007, 20008) you'd be shocked what $500k would buy you (or what you can't buy for even that much).

I'm sorry to say, $200k is really quite quite low...

Your might look at Southern Maryland, primarily because you said your husband likes fishing and boating, and along the Chesapeake Bay there are entire 'fishing towns' where people live to fish, crab, and drink beer, basically :-) Crabbing is a commercial industry, and charter fishing is also popular in areas like St. Marys and Calvert Country, along with southern Anne Arundel country.

Calvert has very good schools despite the relatively lower cost of living in some parts of it. You might look at towns like Chesapeake Beach, North Beach, Dunkirk, Owings, Huntingtown. St. Marys is the home of PAX River Naval Air Station, which is a large employer creating quite a few jobs around the base. Take a look at realtor dot com and put in some of those city names to see what sort of housing stock is available in your price range.

In the end it really depends on where you will be working--I mean EXACTLY where. Not just 'DC', but what part of the District proper, or if it is in Virginia, or if it is in Maryland. 'DC' to the locals means 'the District of Columbia, all 66 sq miles of it' whereas to folks outside of the area DC means the DC metropolitan area, which stretches about 50 miles in every direction from the White House, reaching up to the border of Baltimore. Crossing from one corner of DC, through the city itself, to the other corner of DC can be 20+ minutes without traffic and hitting all the lights!

Old 07-08-2009, 12:21 PM

7 posts, read 12,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RN on the Run View Post
THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO! We are looking to spend $1500 to $2000 a month on rent, and possible buy in the range of ~$200k. I was wondering more about nature and outdoor activity. My husband likes to fish, hunt, boat, etc.
For that low you will have to look at the surrounding suburbs. But exactly where depends on where you and your hubby end up working. I've grown up around here (always lived in either the District or Montgomery County MD) and it's a great place to grow up. I feel so fortunate to have grown up in the Nation's Capital. It's a very diverse region that has made a huge impression on my life. That said, it does have its draw backs - crime is significant here and cost of living is not for the faint of heart. You would have a hard time buying anything more than a small condo in Montgomery County or Northern VA for $200k. If schools are a concern, you should look at Howard County, Calvert County, and Anne Arundel County. They are all still relatively close to DC with good schools, but the cost of living is a little more manageable.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:11 PM

563 posts, read 1,125,155 times
In my opinion, I wouldn't consider this area unless you can afford it. Of course, that really depends on your lifestyle, but it is an expensive place to live. As mentioned above, there won't be much available for 200k. I was just looking this morning at homes (I don't want a condo) and basically and searched from 300 to 450k - I think 11 were returned. At the same time, there are things I look for in a house (I want off street parking/garage). But, I am sure you can find something somewhere for 200k. Again, it depends. As for outdoor activity, that is really up to debate..sure it exists, but it also depends on where you are coming from and what you are used to. If you/your husband are/is used to coming out of the garage on a dirt bike and riding some trails - that isn't going to happen. Of course, there are places to fish/hunt nearby. It really depends on how much trouble you want to go thru to be able to do these things. If outdoor activity was a priority I would go to Washington St. and you have some major cities there to choose from there to live by. I can't stand TX, so I would cross that one out. GA is a toss-up, tho Atlanta is the only place I would consider (barely). Savannah is fun to visit, and I am not a fan of Augusta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC