U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-12-2009, 10:34 AM

1 posts, read 1,181 times
Default Annandale or Springfield

I am moving to DC Area 8/1. We have two kids 14 & 10. We have to get to DC Daily on Metro or train. Where should I live? We are looking at Burk, Spring, Annan,
Is Alexandria safe for kids? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 12:08 AM

188 posts, read 425,161 times
Alexandria used to have some dicey areas but I've heard that most of them have been gentrified. My boss lives in the western, more recently developed area of Alexandria often called "Arlandria" (close to Arlington and developmentally similar) and he's never had any problems. I've hung out near the Braddock Road and King Street stations and have never felt unsafe. I Certainly can't generalize for the whole city tho. Also consider Vienna and Falls Church, both very metro accessible. If you don't mind being a bit farther from the city then Manassas and Woodbridge are options as well.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:26 PM

5,103 posts, read 3,138,549 times
Alexandria is as safe for kids as the other areas, except it's more urban and therefore more worries about them riding their bikes /crossing the streets than in a subdivision cul-de-sac.

Old Town Alexandria still has some public housing (not as much as in past) where you might not want to walk through at night or park your car, but you don't have to be in those areas. I live near some of them and I've never had any problems, but there have been a few muggings I hear about in the local papers. Arlandria along Mt Vernon Ave has the bulk of the crime statistics. Arlandria is not the western end of Alexandria, it's the northern-most part along Four Mile Run, just at the Arlington county line and heavily Latino. West End refers to the Duke St (Rt 236) corridor up to Landmark Mall, and areas around Seminary. Cameron Station is the more recent "nice" part of West End.

Housing in Alexandria City is typically more expensive than the Fairfax County areas you've mentioned, and less living space. Most Fairfax County schools are higher-rated than Alexandria schools, also. But Alexandria is more a real town, and not sprawl like Fairfax County is.

I don't know about the bus availability in Fairfax County as it's been years since I've lived there, but if you choose a place without bus service to Metrorail, be aware that Metrorail lots can fill up quickly on weekdays. Burke is the furthest out of those you mention, and is more green and country-like, I suppose, than Springfield or Annandale (still lots of traffic, though - just not a glut of strip malls).

I second the idea of looking at Falls Church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC