Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 08:48 AM

69 posts, read 162,751 times

Advertisements

Okay, back again! After all my research (which you all helped with), I have decided that I will concentrate my home search in these areas! I was considering Petworth and Columbia heights too, but I haven't been able to find a deal that I liked, and everyone I talked to in person told me to steer clear.

What do you guys think of my choices?

This is hard! I am a GW grad student, and I'm in the running for a job either with DCPS (in NE) or Georgetown University. It's looking rather promising for Georgetown. With that said, I'd like to be near a metro (blue, orange or red) but still want some safety and fun. I'm 30, and I'm moving in with my significant other. We really would like to be in D.C. proper. Budget is pretty low (sadly). I need to keep it around $1600 a month for now.

Also, I found a place that seemed okay: 800 block, 5th street N.E. What's the deal over there?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 09:04 AM

188 posts, read 670,351 times
If Columbia Heights is too 'in transition' for your tastes then the 800 block of 5th probably isn't going to be your cup of tea. I like it fine and considering how run down it looks it is very safe. If you're staying for the long term I would definitely recommend it, the neighborhood has a million new construction projects including condo buildings, a streetcar line, improved sidewalks, etc. It's also got a ton of new restaurants and bars a few blocks down. Check them out at Welcome to H Street NE For right now tho, it looks somewhat intimidating at night. However, it is one of the best deals in the city in terms of how safe it is versus how cheap it is. 5th and H is also 4 blocks away from the Hopscotch Bridge entrance to Union Station, so very metro accessible. Definitely take a stroll and see how you like it, I really love it. Lots of cheap restaurants too!

Old 07-17-2009, 09:09 AM

Well no, it's not that Columbia Heights is too "in transition", it's that I really don't know anything other than what others that have lived here have told me. I don't need to have picket fences, nor do I want a whitewashed, chloroform neighborhood either. I would definitely consider that area if I could find something good!

Old 07-17-2009, 09:11 AM

I also really think I would love Eastern Market!

Old 07-17-2009, 10:58 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,563,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondCoffee View Post
I was considering Petworth and Columbia heights too, but I haven't been able to find a deal that I liked, and everyone I talked to in person told me to steer clear.
Curious as to why you were advised to "steer clear" of those neighborhoods? Not saying there aren't reasons you wouldn't be looking there, but I'd like to know what others are saying about them.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:24 AM

People overwhelmingly said that the place was very "in transition", and "very rough", with a lot of break-ins and muggings and assaults, and that there wasn't much to really do, and that there wasn't a huge sense of community. My argument was that these things could happen anywhere, coupled with the fact that DC isn't exactly some small quaint little town. Still, after talking to about 10 different people saying the same thing, I thought it might be best to look elsewhere. If they're wrong or exaggerating, please share. I just moved here in January and lived in NOVA the whole time, so I am still ignorant here!

Old 07-17-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
People overwhelmingly said that the place was very "in transition", and "very rough", with a lot of break-ins and muggings and assaults, and that there wasn't much to really do, and that there wasn't a huge sense of community. My argument was that these things could happen anywhere, coupled with the fact that DC isn't exactly some small quaint little town. Still, after talking to about 10 different people saying the same thing, I thought it might be best to look elsewhere. If they're wrong or exaggerating, please share. I just moved here in January and lived in NOVA the whole time, so I am still ignorant here!
There's more going on in Columbia heights than Petworth, but the real estate is pricier too.

As far as muggings and assaults, Columbia heights can be rough in spots. This all goes back to the "what is your tolerance" for such things. In Logan Circle, where I live, the neighborhood is far more developed than either Columbia Heights or Petworth, but muggings are up 25% here. You are correct: you're in a city, and you have to be vigilant about such things.

Old 07-17-2009, 02:26 PM

Anyone know anything about the 3000 block of 9th street, NW? Found a seemingly good deal on that street!

Old 07-17-2009, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Anyone know anything about the 3000 block of 9th street, NW? Found a seemingly good deal on that street!
I don't know where that is--couldn't locate it on the map. Are you sure it's NW and not NE or SE? If it's NW, that would be in the general vicinity of eastern Columbia Heights, which can be pretty rough. Close to or west of 14th Street is more desirable.

Old 07-17-2009, 03:24 PM

Thanks! It is NW, and based on the Metro Police Website, it seems pretty rough. This is HARD! Finding a place is HARD!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC