Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 09:10 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,563,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I don't understand why people want DC to be like NYC. There are SO many places that fit the desires of the OP. In fact, you could draw a circle from Georgetown across to U Street / Adams Morgan / Dupont Circle and all that area, and you'd be hard pressed to find a more vibrant urban area in the entire country filled with people from all over the world and all the amenities you could need.

The great charm of DC is that you have a very, professional, highly educated population driving a high energy professional culture, mixed with a city design that is more relaxed and open (with a lot more green space) but still very urban and vibrant.

For my money, I'd take what DC is anyday over what Manhattan is. But, that's just me.
Hear, hear. My sentiments exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 01:31 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,214,446 times
I agree that DC is not really too much like NYC. However, if when you said NYC you meant vibrant with a lot going on, then yes, it's very similar. DC is very fast-paced with a ton of culture, restaurants, night life, parks, etc. It's just that it has a different feel than NYC. Just as good, but in a different way.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:39 AM

11 posts, read 60,207 times
Just curious...What part of NYC does your sister live in?

Old 07-26-2009, 11:00 AM

77 posts, read 187,642 times
My sister lives in Manhatten, and yes, I didn't necessarily mean the high rises, just the culture, the vibe and the walkablity of Manhatten. Along with the subway, NYC is fantastic, you can go and catch a concert, have great dinner, have almost anything delived and yet down the street is Central Park where the dog can run and have a good time.
I do think I will like DC with the museums, the monuments and the metro. I am really looking forward to not having to drive everywhere, to walk out my door, go down the street and hit a farmers market or grab a bite, etc.
Thanks everyone!

Old 07-26-2009, 11:21 AM

1,346 posts, read 4,214,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ediet View Post
I am really looking forward to not having to drive everywhere, to walk out my door, go down the street and hit a farmers market or grab a bite, etc.
If that's what you're looking for, then DC will be great for you. I have a car, but I only use it for work and grocery shopping. Most don't even need one for work. I just need it because my job(fireman) is located in the worst neighborhood in the city and my shift starts before the Metro does.

I think that the parks in the city are great as well. Rock Creek Park is huge and very nice, but there are also smaller parks scattered all around the city. Even the traffic circles are mini parks.

The best part of DC is that it's getting better. Most large cities are in trouble due to the economy. DC is not at all. It's amazing how fast this city is growing.

Old 07-26-2009, 03:38 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,007,002 times
DC is a very urban and walkable city. But it is nothing like NYC. But DC is a GREAT place to live and work especially without a car. But there are many spots that during rush hour and mid day give you a NYC feel with the congestion on the streets and sidewalks. However many of these places which I think feel like NYC slow down and empty out by 6-7pm and than it feels very empty and quiet. Thats when you have places like Georgetown, Adams Morgan and U Street take over. DC is great in its own way. I think it is a little quiet at night. But I was used to Miami for so many years but besides for that DC is great and it is a great day time city MON-SUN.

The only two places in the US which come close to reminding me of NYC (Manhattan) Are Chicago during the day and Miami Beach at night and even those two cities don't come close to the same feel.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:25 AM

188 posts, read 670,351 times
Quote:
The best part of DC is that it's getting better. Most large cities are in trouble due to the economy. DC is not at all. It's amazing how fast this city is growing.
I know right? its awesome to watch.

My bet is on this recession lasting 20 years with DC being the only island of economic solidarity and that by the time we get out of the recession the DC metro area will be the biggest in the country and all of our suburbs will be dense, walkable environments. Oh and the metro will have like twice as many stations. And the nats will suddenly rule.

What thinkest thou, people of the forum?

Old 07-27-2009, 10:25 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,243,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellyofthebeast View Post
I know right? its awesome to watch.

My bet is on this recession lasting 20 years with DC being the only island of economic solidarity and that by the time we get out of the recession the DC metro area will be the biggest in the country and all of our suburbs will be dense, walkable environments. Oh and the metro will have like twice as many stations. And the nats will suddenly rule.

What thinkest thou, people of the forum?
Well I certainly hope DC doesn't become the biggest city in the country. That'd be too much. Dense walkable environments are nice but around here they're so unaffordable. I'm all for the Nats actually not sucking.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:04 PM

77 posts, read 187,642 times
Can DC get any denser? With the height restriction on buildings that I have heard about and looking at maps, it seems like DC doesn't really have anywhere to grow.
I was going to add that I didn't know what you meant by nats, I was thinking Natives--but now I know you mean Nationals! Whoops!

Old 07-27-2009, 08:09 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,563,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ediet View Post
Can DC get any denser? With the height restriction on buildings that I have heard about and looking at maps, it seems like DC doesn't really have anywhere to grow.
Near southeast (by the ballpark) and southwest waterfront, NoMa, near northeast, Anacostia peninsula (Poplar Point)...lots of opportunities still. One of the benefits of the height restriction is that it has driven development out to places where perhaps it might not otherwise go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC