U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2009, 08:22 AM

1 posts, read 10,198 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Me and my boyfriend are planning to move over to Washington DC by the end of this year.
Since we've never been there i would like to get some information of the city and want to know what the best places are to live. We both 27 and would like to live in a area with some bars/restaurants and shops and safe!!! No Suburbs!!

We currently live in Atlanta GA, but originally we're from the Netherlands.

Looking forward to some feedback so we know where to go next week when we're planning to go there to visit some apartments.

Many thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 10:04 AM

2 posts, read 14,177 times
Hi!

My girlfriend and I just recently moved into the Eastern Market area (just a block away form the Eastern Market Metro) and we've loved it. She's never felt unsafe walking by herself, and you have Barracks Row and Pennsylvania Ave for tons of restaurants and bars. The shopping is a little slim, as far as I can see, but you could always hop the metro somewhere. We've been here for about three months now and it's been wonderful. Hope that helps!

Old 07-23-2009, 10:18 AM

1,054 posts, read 4,607,114 times
Well, a couple of things.

Where are you going to work. This is a really major issue in a city like DC which has considerable traffic issues and a 'spoke and hub' subway system requiring you to go downtown first and then back out just to cross the city at times.

Second, the inner suburbs of DC are nothing like you are expecting. In fact, 'suburban' areas like Bethesda and Clarendon/Courthouse are more 'city-like' than huge swaths of DC proper which are entirely residential with almost no commercial areas.

Finally, what's your budget. DC is very very expensive and if you could give us a hint on what you want to spend we can better assess what area is available.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:55 PM

1,270 posts, read 4,866,135 times
Default Rock Creek Park area or Eastern Market?

My Aunt teaches at College Park Maryland and lives near Eastern Market
Its a good area in my opinion

also the section in NW dc by the Zoo is pretty decent as well off the RED Line.
Cleveland Park area by Rock Creek Park.

She used to live around there as well

Old 07-29-2009, 09:42 AM

12 posts, read 94,451 times
alright let me educate you really quick in from 1990's to year 2002 dc has had the HIGHEST MURDER RATE in the country for about 5 years and the rest of the years they have been in the top 10 except for 3 so that right there is t warn you how much murder there is and it is a city plagued by crack. but lately it has really improved the city is trying to turn around but let me letin on a secret the closer you are to the outer border lines(western ave,southern ave, eastern ave) the better the neighborhood the inner city is still plauged by crack and bullets.

two dont be fooled by the northwest DC trick. people see the prices and the apartments and think nw has to be the greatest place ever. its a lie. the left or west side of rock creek park is the nice side from 18 st to north cap is the bad side

Old 05-01-2011, 10:48 PM

1 posts, read 6,510 times
Just wondering where is the best area to live in Washington,DC,With the family.That have good schools,safe,and Looking for house with 3 or 4 bedrooms. Help

Old 05-02-2011, 05:40 AM

80 posts, read 110,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city life1 View Post
Just wondering where is the best area to live in Washington,DC,With the family.That have good schools,safe,and Looking for house with 3 or 4 bedrooms. Help
Is money an object?

Old 05-02-2011, 08:25 AM

720 posts, read 1,346,557 times
Where will you be working

Old 05-02-2011, 07:38 PM

837 posts, read 1,613,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city life1 View Post
How much $$?

Under a million, I'd say AU park.
A million to two, I'd say Cleveland Park.
Two to five million, I'd say Kent / Palisades / Foxhall
Past five million, you can really pick anywhere.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:00 PM

5 posts, read 7,792 times
Well here I am moving to Washington D.C. from Chicago. Now, I stayed there in 2006-2007 for about 4 months. I lived in Crystal City (Arlington VA). I was a Flight Attendant at the time. So rent was $125.00 between 11 people. Don't ask? Anyway, It's 2013 and I want to find work there and rent there. A studio for me would work fine. I lived in Alexandria, Crystal City and near American University. I liked that area. It was near where ambassadors lived or something. Nice area, I felt safe. So, my budget for rent I can't determine yet. I am sending resumes and cover letters to non-profits, associations, etc. I have a B.A. Degree in Communications; where do I start looking? Help email me at info2012.tb@gmail.com. Thx. Where do I start looking! Want to move by May or June 2013.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC