Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 03:44 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times

Advertisements

I've stayed at the Holiday Inn in Manassas, VA and saved a hundred bucks a night. It's about a 15-20 minute drive into the Mall, but it's worth it to me.

When you go into the city, you can usually find parking in some of the lots along Independence Ave, but it might require a little walking to get to where you want to go. On ANY street in Washington, if you park alongside the street in the parallel parking slots, FOR GOD'S SAKE, WALK BACK TO THE CORNER AND READ THE SIGNS ABOUT PARKING REGULATIONS! Tourist's parked along the street who are unfamiliar with the regulations are a HUGE money-maker for the city.

You and your kids will be safe anywhere on the Mall, even late at night. As another poster noted, there is a huge police presence there, but you hardly ever see them. But, don't be mis-lead; they are there and they are watching. Young folks making out on the benches underneath the cherry trees along the Reflecting Pool are a common site at night, but nobody ever bothers them because of that police presence.

On the Mall, you can see the Lincoln Memorial, Vietnam, Korean and WWII Memorials, the Washington Monument, the Smithsonian, the Capitol building and the White House, just for starters. The Mall is littered with interesting things to see and do and it's like a National City Park in the afternoons (especially on weekends) as people gather to play sand-lot soft ball and soccer, picnic or just hang out with friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 02:51 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,510,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbas1970 View Post
Thank you -- O.K. how about these hotels?

Marriot Crystal Gateway, 1700 Jefferson Davis Hwy, Arlington Va

Holiday Inn Capitol, 550 C Street SW, Washington DC
I can personally vouch for the Marriott Crystal Gateway since I live next door and I've had family stay there several times.
It's right on top of the Metro and the area is very safe. There are also lots of restaurants and shop nearby if you get tired of the tourist traps downtown.

SJ4

Old 07-31-2009, 10:29 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,559,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
I've stayed at the Holiday Inn in Manassas, VA and saved a hundred bucks a night. It's about a 15-20 minute drive into the Mall, but it's worth it to me.
15 minutes to the Mall from Mansassas? I don't think so. It's 15 minutes to the Beltway from Manassas, and a good 40-45 to get into the Mall and central DC. And thats with light/no traffic.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:41 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,510,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post

When you go into the city, you can usually find parking in some of the lots along Independence Ave, but it might require a little walking to get to where you want to go. On ANY street in Washington, if you park alongside the street in the parallel parking slots, FOR GOD'S SAKE, WALK BACK TO THE CORNER AND READ THE SIGNS ABOUT PARKING REGULATIONS! Tourist's parked along the street who are unfamiliar with the regulations are a HUGE money-maker for the city.
I hate to call this out, but this is really bad, bad advice.

First, as mentioned above, Manassas is more than 30 miles from downtown DC. There's no legal way you'll get to the mall in less than 20 minutes, more like 45 - 60 minutes with traffic (I-66 is notoriously congested).

Second, parking around Independence Ave, getting ticketed is the least of your troubles. A bigger problem is getting TOWED (and ticketed). I happen to work near where they store towed cars; every afternoon it's a parade of trucks hauling in shiny rental cars and the subsequent line of scared and tired families trying to get them back (it's not the safest or prettiest part of town). Paying the parking ticket and towing fee is at least $250. This is a terrible way to turn a family vacation into a nightmare.

SJ4

Old 08-01-2009, 06:31 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
I hate to call this out, but this is really bad, bad advice.

First, as mentioned above, Manassas is more than 30 miles from downtown DC. There's no legal way you'll get to the mall in less than 20 minutes, more like 45 - 60 minutes with traffic (I-66 is notoriously congested).

Second, parking around Independence Ave, getting ticketed is the least of your troubles. A bigger problem is getting TOWED (and ticketed). I happen to work near where they store towed cars; every afternoon it's a parade of trucks hauling in shiny rental cars and the subsequent line of scared and tired families trying to get them back (it's not the safest or prettiest part of town). Paying the parking ticket and towing fee is at least $250. This is a terrible way to turn a family vacation into a nightmare.

SJ4

You're both right. It is farther than I said it was. My bad and I'm glad y'all corrected me.

As for the parking along Independence, I was talking about some of the parking lots which are there or just off it. For instance, the one beside the FDR Memorial usually has spaces left in it and there's one over by the Tidal Basin. It's a few blocks hike to the attractions, but it's better than being towed. They also will tow your car at the drop of a hat on Constitution. That's why I said, read the signs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC