Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 11:06 AM

2 posts, read 7,056 times

Advertisements

I have a very strong potential job offer an organization in D.C. However, I know that a move from where I currently live in Orlando, Florida, to there would mean a substantial increase in cost of living. Plus, I don't really know the area at all. I was told the salary would likely fall in the high 30s. Is this something that is livable for D.C. or the nearby area? Any recommendations/advice/insight/etc. would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 11:31 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,716,798 times
It depends. How old are you? Are you single? Any kids? Where would you want to live (apartment, house, townhouse, etc.)? Where is your work and your desired commute?

When I moved here 2 years ago my salary was in the mid-30s and as a single person with a roommate, I was perfectly fine. If you want to live alone it's possible, but harder. If you want to live near a metrorail station or in a more walking-friendly area, that will definitely be a hit to your budget. It all really depends on your lifestyle and spending habits.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:42 AM

2 posts, read 7,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post
It depends. How old are you? Are you single? Any kids? Where would you want to live (apartment, house, townhouse, etc.)? Where is your work and your desired commute?

When I moved here 2 years ago my salary was in the mid-30s and as a single person with a roommate, I was perfectly fine. If you want to live alone it's possible, but harder. If you want to live near a metrorail station or in a more walking-friendly area, that will definitely be a hit to your budget. It all really depends on your lifestyle and spending habits.
I'm 26, gay, single, no kids, apartment living would be best, work is near Dupont Circle, and I'd say a 30-min commute at most would be ideal but not sure what's average for the D.C. area though.

I'm a social person and would actually prefer roommates anyway, even if my salary offer were higher. Also, I would prefer to live near a metrorail station that I could walk to, but I've also heard about park-and-ride options. So if I had to drive a short distance to do that, I'm OK with it too, but then I question how much is parking per month, and would it just be smarter to pay the higher rent to live closer in the first place.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:52 AM

Ok, then you should be fine. I'd look on the Maryland side for rent, since it seems cheaper than Virginia sometimes. Just for reference, a studio in Dupont runs about $1200-1300/month, 1-bedrooms about $1500+/month. The further out you go, the cheaper the rent price will be. Silver Spring often seems reasonable, as does Rockville, and both are near the red line. Having a car in the city will be a big expense, so if you want to keep it, look more for suburbs. North Arlington is also nice, you can look into Clarendon, Rosslyn, or Ballston. Ballston isn't that pricey, especially once you get a few blocks from the Metro station.

Another option is to rent a room in a group house. I know several people who have done this and enjoyed it, and you'd be able to find a place close to work (might even be able to just walk). I got myself a roommate and like that situation. We were able to afford a nicer place than either of us could get on our own. If you like urban settings I'd go for the roommate and closer-in search. Being young and working in DC, most of the people you meet will probably be doing the same.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:00 PM

593 posts, read 2,440,004 times
DC is definitely do-able on a salary in the high 30s. Now you'll probably have to adjust your lifestyle to some degree, but you'll still be able to live in a reasonably safe, decent apartment.

My advice on how to make it work on that budget:
--choose to live with a roommate (as j-bleu mentioned)
--pay more in rent to live within walking distance to a metro station
--sell your car. This might seem crazy coming from Orlando, but you can get by without owning a car in DC. The few times that you need a car, you can use ZipCar to rent cars by the hour. Owning a car in DC will end up costing you tons of $$ for parking, etc. I've found that not making car payments helps to offset the higher cost of rent here.

The career opportunities in the DC metro area are huge - so definitely factor in that as well. Sure, if you look at it at face value, it is more expensive to live in DC than in Orlando. But if this is a good career move for you, it may pay off in the long-run by moving to an area that will benefit your career.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:17 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,563,819 times
Definitely doable. I'd look in the Silver Spring/Takoma area. Not bad areas at all, and the rentals are far more affordable. Plus, you're on the Red Line so your commute would be manageable.

Good luck.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:34 PM

273 posts, read 1,483,514 times
I guess with roommates you would be ok, but I honestly think you need at least 50k to make it in this area on your own (place of your own, car of your own, etc. to live comfortably)

Old 08-04-2009, 04:53 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,244,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarius121 View Post
I'm 26, gay, single, no kids, apartment living would be best, work is near Dupont Circle, and I'd say a 30-min commute at most would be ideal but not sure what's average for the D.C. area though.

I'm a social person and would actually prefer roommates anyway, even if my salary offer were higher. Also, I would prefer to live near a metrorail station that I could walk to, but I've also heard about park-and-ride options. So if I had to drive a short distance to do that, I'm OK with it too, but then I question how much is parking per month, and would it just be smarter to pay the higher rent to live closer in the first place.
Since we're both about the same age and gay figured I'd chime in.

The park and ride at the metro thing. Kinda expensive it's $4.50 per day. So that's $90 a month plus the fare which doubles during rush hour. So keep that in mind. If you decide to just drive into the city for work everyday expect to pay around $200 a month to rent a parking space I think. Those who do drive into the city everyday might be better experts.

It really will depend on rather or not you want to part with your car. If you are willing to part with your car. Then get a place in the city. Try the area around U street, Shaw or Mt Pleasant. These aren't close to Dupont but that's kinda the point since Dupont is super expensive and just out of your price range.

If you are not willing to part with your car. Then you shouldn't live in the city. I would look in Arlington, Alexandria or Silver Spring. Once outside the city limits getting a place that is affordable and walkable to the metro will be close to impossible with the possible exception of Silver Spring. So the solution will be to look at both bus and rail transportation options. I know a guy who lives in Alexandria off Van Dorn who takes a bus and then the train into the city. So that's an option but his commute is 45 minutes.

DC has some of the longest average commutes in the country so keeping things under 30 minutes and affordable may present a challenge the further you're willing to commute the cheaper and nicer the place.

Me personally I work in Arlington at a place that has free parking and also is nowhere near a metro so I drive to work and live outside the beltway near the end of the orange line but not walking distance to it though. I drive into the city for fun takes about 25-30 minutes or so depends on where in the city. I like Oakton it's super nice but I will say that there are not a lot of gay folk in this neck of the woods. They're are all either really far out so they don't have to deal with roommates/have jobs in the burbs or they live right in the city, not much in between so keep that in mind too. Having a car though does allow to drive into the city after rush hour without much problem to go out or meet new guys. Every time I think about moving to the city to improve my social life I just remember that in the end it only takes me an extra ten minutes to get home from the bar. Anywhere in the city will still take at least 15 minutes to get home.

So look at your options. But going back to the original question can you make it up here on high 30s salary? Yes. There are so many unique opportunities careerwise in the DC area and I think it's a nice place to live too, despite my numerous complaints about this area the good outweighs the bad. So unless there's an opportunity paying around the same in Florida I say come on up.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
If you decide to just drive into the city for work everyday expect to pay around $200 a month to rent a parking space I think. Those who do drive into the city everyday might be better experts.
I don't drive in, but just from experience there was a parking lot for $10/day near my old office (so ~$200/month), or you could park in the building for $15/day. I have friends working in North Arlington who pay $300-350/month for parking. So, I'd expect around $200-300 for driving in and parking.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:46 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,244,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post
I don't drive in, but just from experience there was a parking lot for $10/day near my old office (so ~$200/month), or you could park in the building for $15/day. I have friends working in North Arlington who pay $300-350/month for parking. So, I'd expect around $200-300 for driving in and parking.
I thought you could rent a parking space for a month though. That's what I meant versus paying to park each day. I've seen places that advertise $7 or $8 a day. Been here a year but that's still such a foreign concept makes me glad I don't work in the city. No offense of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC