Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2009, 03:41 PM

8 posts, read 13,895 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I've looked through the threads on here and have found them to be incredibly useful. Figured it might be a good idea to get more specific information for myself.

I am 24, starting a job downtown DC (right off the Faragut North station) and need to find an apartment in an area that is close to the metro, "youngish" but not too young, and most importantly - safe!

I can afford to pay about 1,800/month but would really prefer not to spend that much (need to aggressively save up some money). I was initially searching in DC but have broadened my search to include the NoVA area. I am open to anywhere that is metro-accessible and not too far from DC

Does anyone know of neighborhoods in DC that might fall within the $1200-$1500 price range? If not, does anyone know of apartment complexes in the Arlington or Alexandria area that might fall within this range?

Thank you sooo much!

Sandy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 06:52 PM

5 posts, read 18,153 times
You should be able to choose 1 bedrm apt in Chevy Chase area on Connecticut ave 4000s -5000s for $1500, there are plenty to choose from and that is a good area, mostly white/asian professionals. Silver Spring, Arlington, Shirlington are ok, with city vibe

Old 08-16-2009, 08:23 PM

Thanks!

I stayed in Chevy Chase this summer and absolutely love the area but I figured it would be too expensive, will look into that again!

Old 08-17-2009, 12:48 PM

10 posts, read 40,929 times
If you aren't against rooming with someone, you can get a 2br apt in the Woodley Park area and split the rent. Might be able to find a 1br for under 1800 as well.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:18 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,712,491 times
You should be able to find a studio or 1-bedroom within your price range in DC. Try looking around the Dupont/Adams Morgan area. It's very popular, lots of young people, and has plenty to do. You could also possibly walk to work. I have several friends there living in 1-bedroom apartments for about $1300-1400, it just takes some searching. Most seem to be ~$1500.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:21 PM

I am open to rooming with someone, especially if that will help cut costs! Will look into Woodley Park/Dupont/Adams Morgan. Thanks!!

Do you all know anything about Logan Circle? I heard it is a little more affordable than Dupont etc.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:10 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,712,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UVASandy View Post
Do you all know anything about Logan Circle? I heard it is a little more affordable than Dupont etc.
I don't know about it being more affordable, it seems like I can't find anything for under $2000/mo there (I'm talking about studios and 1-bedrooms). It's a cool neighborhood, though.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:31 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,240,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UVASandy View Post
I am open to rooming with someone, especially if that will help cut costs! Will look into Woodley Park/Dupont/Adams Morgan. Thanks!!

If you're willing to get roommates then a room for rent in the $1500 shouldn't be a problem in Dupont or Logan Circle. My personal fav is U street and you shouldn't have a problem with finding a roommate in that range in any neighborhood.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:16 AM

83 posts, read 483,931 times
I live in Logan Circle. My apt has studios that go for $1600 range right now. Depends on how big you want the place to be as well. Try the Truman House. I only pass by it outside, but I know it's cheaper than my place, and they accept pets, if you have any. If not, lots places in Logan circle fall in your price range. I won't go too far pass M st (or metro would be a bit far). If you go down in # and pass 11 st, you might find pockets of places you don't want to be at the night. Overall I feel safe, but some places do make me think twice.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:08 PM

Thanks everyone! I might have found a place in Logan Circle (JL2010 - its on 13th street) that could work out. I will have a roommate so that helped a ton with the rent!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC