Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 09:41 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,228,906 times

Advertisements

For those wondering "why do houses have to cost so much in DC" or "why are builders making small houses and charging more?", just imagine this:

Imagine there is a nice area in DC (or very close in VA or MD) that is safe and near Metro. A developer builds big beautiful houses there, and prices them around $450,000 - for some reason.

What do you suppose would happen? First, each of those houses would be bought before they were even completed. Some would then be flipped for a profit - even in this market if they are so wonderful and priced more than 200K below comparable homes in the area. There are just that many people with the disposable income. Plus, if the houses are such a great value, there will be bidding wars. Once up for resale, their prices would definitely skyrocket. Once a few sell for $650,000 or up, all the others that go on the market will expect to get that, too. The people who don't flip aren't going to be selling anytime soon.

So what happened to those imaginary $450,000 houses? They aren't available at $450,000 anymore. Finite resource, much larger pool of people with the money you are competing with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 06:48 PM

884 posts, read 2,642,018 times
Gotcha!. More than big hubby and I want something in the burbs w a bit of style, not necessarily big. Our plan is to get something we can modify over time. I'm praying that works out.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:51 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,888,133 times
Dc has zoning regs and infrastructure limitations that limit housing supply. Imagine if they opened up a part of the city to developers where they could build 40-story towers. Or, imagine if there were more train lines so the city could support more housing. A city can be highly desireable, with tons of jobs, but if its housing supply is high relative to its population, it will not be DC-level expensive.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:53 PM

1,194 posts, read 4,126,566 times
My brother lives in DC area and he use to live downtown DC. When he sold his row home 9 years ago he picked up an older home for $325,000 and it too was a dump. Then the home was too small for his 2 girls and his wife so he rented his 2nd home to an older couple and purchased another home. The 3rd home was $600,000 and the same home in the Philadelphia area wasn't worth $200,000.. I wouldn't live in any of his homes because they were not in a nice area and at times he heard gunshots at night.

Now he has 2 homes and each have increased a lot and now each of them are worth more than $1 million according to the DC Real Estate marketplace.

I, on the other hand, live in Florida in a 3,000 + SF new home that is on the water and have a pool etc etc......I guess my home now is worth half of what it once was 4 years ago.

I think it is funny how homes in the North are mostly increasing while the nicer and more eye appealing homes in the South are taking a real whipping....

Old 09-13-2009, 09:51 PM

884 posts, read 2,642,018 times
Synergy you do have a point in regards to the values rising. My neighbors in Oh bought back in 1979 for 79k the same house sells for 150k if lucky in todays market. In DC the pace of appreciation is much faster.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:40 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,562,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbluelandrover View Post
In DC the pace of appreciation is much faster.
That wasn't always the case though. DC's real estate market languished for years, until the late 90s when things started to take off. by 2001-02, the market was exploding. My guess is, we've seen the end of skyrocketing property values for now and things will be settled for awhile. Some neighborhoods will always hold and/or see property values increase, but I think the days of seeing homes in Trinidad appreciate at a 300% pace over the span of a few years are done, at least for now.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:00 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,989,335 times
If you want housing like you might expect in the rest of America at $450K in the DC area then we've got the place for you. It's called Prince Georges County or PG for short. It's on the east side of town. All you will need to do is buy a gun so you will have a fighting chance!

Old 09-15-2009, 10:47 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
I asked my realtor why homes were so expensive in the DC area. His response was:

"Because the Federal government isn't going anywhere."

Add to that predictions for population increases and there you have it.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:04 PM

23 posts, read 75,929 times
check out the neighborhoods of Brookland, Woodridge, Petworth... particularly Brookland which has lots of different kinds of older homes and is very centrally located with a metro stop. It's 15 mins to Capitol Hill etc.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:32 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,242,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
That wasn't always the case though. DC's real estate market languished for years, until the late 90s when things started to take off. by 2001-02, the market was exploding. My guess is, we've seen the end of skyrocketing property values for now and things will be settled for awhile. Some neighborhoods will always hold and/or see property values increase, but I think the days of seeing homes in Trinidad appreciate at a 300% pace over the span of a few years are done, at least for now.
I agree. I think the days of instant flipping and profits are done. The only flipping will be done with delapidated houses which is something I'd like to entertain one day. I think people will have to get back to buying a house for the purpose of owning a home not instant profits.

At the very same time home values inside the beltway aren't plummeting to the earth like they are further out. I love suburban living. I love the cheaper but nicer houses and I've never been a fan of older homes. At the same time the commute is starting to wear me down. So living closer to work starts looking attractive despite the costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC