U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 04:50 PM

50 posts, read 137,621 times

Advertisements

I would love to live in the DC area for the public transit options and the diversity. BUT! I don't think I would be able to afford any thing in a safe area of DC. That means I would still end up in the burbs if I did move there which is where I'm at in Indy which I hate. I know jobs pay more out there but is it that much more and is it worth it?
When I get online to get an idea of home prices for areas here is what I see which is making me rethink DC.

Examples all in the same price range:

Indy $280,000

Atlanta 359,000

Houston 275,000

DC 474,000 (not the best but alot of them in this range look plain.)

DC 564,000

I love the last one, but half a mil DAMN! Are the salaries that much more then the rest of the country? What about taxes? And how much would a HH have to make to afford a 400-500k home?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 06:25 PM

51 posts, read 185,541 times
the DC area housing market is simply very expensive.

If you want a nice, new house is a nice suburb, go live somewhere else, such as Kentucky.

But if you want a ok house in a decent neighborhood in the most powerful city in the world, be prepared to pay up.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:16 PM

3,547 posts, read 7,835,905 times
Yeah, and in NYC $300,000 gets you a broom closet in Manhattan. I'm failing to see the point.

DC's real estate market is very expensive. Of course you can get more "house" in Indianapolis or Houston, but neither of those cities have the demand that DC does. There is a reason that cities such as DC, NY, Boston, San Francisco, etc. are expensive. People want to be there.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:53 PM

50 posts, read 137,621 times
I hear what you are saying. But how much would one have to make to afford the cost of living difference. I know the military gives more allowances based on COL what about other jobs.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:11 PM

884 posts, read 2,437,424 times
Ok Silk I can identify completely. Hubby and I came from Cincy and were not impressed with the style,size or costs of the homes. We do accept the difference even though it was rough.

As far as income it varies a retail manager won't do well but those in government, contracting,law,medicine etc do well after the initial 2-3 yrs hubby and I saw our income triple in 2 yrs. A mortgage broker can tell you based on what your debts are the income needed. My guess is 140 combined and up. Which is not a stretch for here. There are many homes in the burbs for 350 now.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:30 PM

5,350 posts, read 6,440,600 times
They look "ugh" because you're looking under $500,000. Look at $700,000 and above and you'll start seeing the ones that catch your eye.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:41 AM

12,688 posts, read 18,420,774 times
Alright let's get a grip here. The comparison is between some McMansions in the burbs and a 19th century walkup inside DC proper. Hardly a fair comparison.

You can find the same hideous McMansions here. Yes they will cost more than other places but you will have more space than that walkup.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:59 AM

3,547 posts, read 7,835,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbluelandrover View Post
Ok Silk I can identify completely. Hubby and I came from Cincy and were not impressed with the style,size or costs of the homes.
OK, the costs I can understand, particularly coming from Cincinnati. But DC's residential architecture is widely acknowledged to be amongst the finest in the country. Of course we have "blah" here--every city does. But strolling through Dupont, Logan, Georgetown, Capitol Hill, Cleveland Park, Columbia Heights, Shaw, Bloomingdale...I couldn't imagine not being impressed with those homes.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:55 AM

5,350 posts, read 6,440,600 times
Picture 4, the split-level, looks like the house I lived in, in Cincinnati (Mt. Washington).

I love the house styles in DC proper.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:59 AM

884 posts, read 2,437,424 times
I am going to disagree. The split level home in Cincy would have an attached garage a yard and a sidewalk. There are split levels in Bethesda,Kensington and Silver Spring and many of the older ones are smaller than the homes I see regularily here in Oh.
Some of Cincy's finest communities are right up there with Chevy Chase,Georgetown and Bethesda. Cinci architecture is rich in history like the city itself. I DO find DC has beautiful homes but the same beautiful home is more in reach back where I grew up. A tudor style brick home 3k sq ft 4br garage can be bought for 300k in a very nice area.

The finest Cincy has CAN go neck and neck with some so called nice DC homes. Especially Hyde Park,Mt Adams, East Walnut Hills,North Avondale,Eden Park,Wyoming,Mt Lookout,Indian Hill. Trust that I am not cheerleading for my home but to ME it is the hands down winner in architecture AND affordability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC