U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 01:10 AM

1 posts, read 15,230 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering moving to the DC area next year. Our price range is between $550K and $750K, and we're open to living in the city (somewhere safe!). We'd prefer to avoid home owner's assocations, so we're not interested in condos. We have seen some pretty homes in the Petworth area, but are unfamiliar with that specific neighborhood. Is it safe? Overpriced? Close to shops, metro, etc? How time consuming would it be to commute from there to Ft. Belvoir? Also I'm open to other good areas of DC. We know about Georgetown, Dupont, Foggy Bottom, Adams Morgan, etc., but are looking for other options, too. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2007, 08:49 AM

3,029 posts, read 7,780,771 times
If you are commuting to Ft Belvoir, I'd seriously consider Old Town Alexandria.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:10 AM

19,178 posts, read 20,146,956 times
I'd seriously consider someplace in Virginia. The commute to Belvoir and back from anywhere in DC will be less than fun. A lot less. Then again, there's something about city living, and Petworth is a very interesting place to consider. It is an old community up there, mostly developed between the two World Wars. Like many other areas in town, it is growing out of some relatively down decades. It is underpriced for the city, and it's safe as far as urban areas go, though there is plenty of lingering drug activity. It is right on the Metro, and while there aren't so many great shops in Petworth proper as yet, there are within a couple of stops on the train. It's kind on the list of places that haven't been so nice for a while, but have gotten a lot better lately, and that in ten years might be really super places. A lot of Capitol Hill was like that 15-20 years ago. Places that were boarded up there in 1987 are on the market for $2.4 mil today. Petworth is a place that might follow suit...

Old 05-07-2007, 08:40 AM

29 posts, read 146,074 times
Default Petworth, not good

I would NOT recommend Petworth at all. You might think it sounds like a neat place to live, but crime outweighs any quaintness (if there is even anything quaint there?). I have friends who have been mugged at gunpoint in Petworth many a night coming home from work. In fact, if they get home much later than 7, they take a cab from downtown to avoid the walk from Metro. Avoid Eckington, Trinidad, and Brookland --they are all still very, very iffy. Columbia Heights is nice, but still iffy unless you're lucky enough to live on the one or two nice streets that have been completely updated and redone.

Cap. Hill is a great place to live, if you can find a place for under 800K. Of course, Eastern Market just burned down, so there really isn't anywhere to shop now. But word is, they're getting a Harris Teeter.

For your price range, you want to buy in Old Town Alexandria. Totally cute, totally quaint, you can walk everywhere. We live in Old Town now, and it's amazing. Great places to eat, there's the Potomac River running trail, Metro, free Dash bus, Whole Foods, gourmet markets, Farmer's Market every weekend. You will love it!!

Old 05-07-2007, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiekat View Post
I have friends who have been mugged at gunpoint in Petworth many a night coming home from work. In fact, if they get home much later than 7, they take a cab from downtown to avoid the walk from Metro.
Why haven't they moved? Why don't you stop pretending that everywhere other than Old Town is worse than Sadr City? There are a number of people here who know what they are talking about. All of them are presently thinking that you pretty clearly don't....

Old 05-08-2007, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Why haven't they moved? Why don't you stop pretending that everywhere other than Old Town is worse than Sadr City? There are a number of people here who know what they are talking about. All of them are presently thinking that you pretty clearly don't....
It's true....and I don't know why they haven't moved. And....Old Town is not better than everywhere, just more affordable.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:25 AM

Quote:
It's true....and I don't know why they haven't moved.
Must be that they enjoy being regularly mugged at gunpoint. Or perhaps they enjoy goofing on people about what a hard-core, violent area they live in. There is on-going drug activity in Petworth. It's essentially an alley trade, and there isn't much friction between the dealers and the residents. This is a vestige of what once was in the area, and it will pass of its own accord as the area continues to progress. As for non-drug crime, Petworth has quite good numbers compared to most other urban neighborhoods. The only other downside is some degree of tension between long-time residents and newcomers, but that is actually quite mild as many old-timers recognize that the influx of new people and new money is what already has been and in the future will be the thing that fuels the area's recovery and development.

Quote:
And....Old Town is not better than everywhere, just more affordable.
Old Town is one of the most expensive neighborhoods in the area. Landmark isn't Old Town.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:38 AM

Old Town is one of the most expensive neighborhoods in the area. Landmark isn't Old Town.[/quote]

Who said anything about Landmark? I wouldn't live there or recommend that place --what a dive.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:56 AM

Default why i consider Old Town cheaper

To clarify:

We bought 1/2 block from Whole Foods in Old Town and payed just over $300/square foot. In DC, we could not find anything remotely comparable for less than $400/square foot --and not nearly the size of what we got here. Sure, there were things we could afford in the city, but for the price we would have payed, we would have been much furthur from shops, metro, parks, grocery stores, etc. You get way more for the buck here in my opinion.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:33 AM

Quote:
To clarify:

We bought 1/2 block from Whole Foods in Old Town and payed just over $300/square foot. In DC, we could not find anything remotely comparable for less than $400/square foot --and not nearly the size of what we got here. Sure, there were things we could afford in the city, but for the price we would have payed, we would have been much furthur from shops, metro, parks, grocery stores, etc. You get way more for the buck here in my opinion.
You did very well, then, considering that the dozen or so properties currently on the market in your neighborhood are all in the range of $440-600 per square foot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC