Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 09:18 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,563,181 times

Advertisements

I would quit responding to him until he is willing to format his posts correctly--in other words, to quote correctly and to stop placing all of his text in bold. It's either the height of laziness or the height of rudeness--I haven't yet been able to determine which. Regardless of what's driving it, it's incredibly disrespectful.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:22 PM

188 posts, read 670,351 times
word

Old 09-28-2009, 09:32 PM

656 posts, read 1,420,207 times
...the article you sent me doesn't say anything about vehicle use by DC residents, which is the number you're going to have to use if you're going to compare it to NYC. Yes it does, since about 60-70% are using vehicles with the rest using public transit, in new york city its over 50% In terms of crime, again I don't think you can compare the two numbers because of what 14th and U said and because of the different ratios of city as a part of the metro area for NYC and DC. The point is, there are tons of safe neighborhoods and tons of ghetto in both NYC and DC, why do we need to compare the two?

Not necessarily, people try to use that claim to de credit the crime statistics
, while every city has its great and not-so-great neighboorhoods, one must remember that many attractive neighboorhoods in D.C. have much more crime than new york city neighboorhoods, in new york city even downtown neighboorhoods had so much crime in the 70s and 80s after 7pm or so everbody left, if crime were just limited to certain parts most residents wouldn't be wanting to clean up the city so bad, also some medium crime areas may have dropped to lower crime areas.

Also, what do you refer to by 'space'? park space? I was arguing that a higher percentage of NYC is suburban in nature than DC when compared to the metro area.[/quote]

The 14th user tried to argue the oppposite.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
I would quit responding to him until he is willing to format his posts correctly--in other words, to quote correctly and to stop placing all of his text in bold. It's either the height of laziness or the height of rudeness--I haven't yet been able to determine which. Regardless of what's driving it, it's incredibly disrespectful.
Two issues,

First, a lot of city user posters, highlight the answers to the specific questions or answers in bold, even in emails to clarify the question posted in non-bold and the answer in bold, even human resource employers do that.

Second, I quote correctly, I must state though the city-data on occasion gives error messages such as the text needing to be one character when there are several characters and refuses to post, only if I remove the proper quote language in brackets does it post,but of course it may not post in the correct format all the time, not certain if that is what you are referring to.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech2enable View Post
First, a lot of city user posters, highlight the answers to the specific questions or answers in bold
Even if they do, they still quote posts correctly. They do what I just did, and you've been asked multiple times to correct it, and yet you refuse. Why?

Quote:
Second, I quote correctly.
No, you don't. Otherwise, your posts would look like mine.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:54 PM

Quote:
one must remember that many attractive neighboorhoods in D.C. have much more crime than new york city neighboorhoods
Which ones? Be specific. Dupont Circle? Georgetown? Foggy Bottom? Capitol Hill? Penn Quarter? Adams-Morgan? Logan Circle? Cleveland Park?

Which attractive DC neighborhoods have "way more crime" than similar New York neighborhoods?

Old 09-28-2009, 10:45 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,705,136 times
I just realized that this guy said he lived in DC many years ago. That might be the root of his quite irrational bias against it.

The DC of today is nothing like it was a couple decades ago. All the attractive neighborhoods are really safe and possess really vibrant nightlife with a solid restauant scene.

This outdated perspective is the only reasonable explanation for these really outrageous claims about nicer neighborhoods having high crime rates.

Or, given his inability to observe his own incorrect posting format, perhaps it is just an issue of not observing what is evident to every single poster who actually lives in DC.

Btw - more choices means a bigger economy. To argue that NY is better bc it provides more choices is to argue that "bigger is better", no matter claims to the contrary.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Even if they do, they still quote posts correctly. They do what I just did, and you've been asked multiple times to correct it, and yet you refuse. Why?

No, you don't. Otherwise, your posts would look like mine.
Not sure of your statement and the end there, but if you remove the bracket it won't correct in that format, it may be a error with city-data , a caching error, or a browser error , although I have used multiple browsers, in any case many people quote the way I do despite the fact that I always use the quote button lately I have been getting a lot of errors from city-data perhaps the admin should be notified, it claims there are no characters, even if the first character is occupied.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Which ones? Be specific. Dupont Circle? Georgetown? Foggy Bottom? Capitol Hill? Penn Quarter? Adams-Morgan? Logan Circle? Cleveland Park?

Which attractive DC neighborhoods have "way more crime" than similar New York neighborhoods?
I don't have the mapping tools with me, what makes an attractive neighborhood can be detatabale, although one can tell if a neighboorhood lacks many of the amenities, and cleanliness , and has high crime, and lack of diverse retail options (not necessarily big box), it may not be as attractive.

The more dangerous neighborhoods of new york city, still have far less crime then many of the dangerous d.c. neighborhoods, a lot of the so called dangerous neighborhoods are becoming very attractive but have not really gentrified. I would call some of them semi-attractive or semi-gentrified, since there is such a wide variation. That in itself means a lot.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:10 PM

188 posts, read 670,351 times
Quote:
I don't have the mapping tools with me, what makes an attractive neighborhood can be detatabale, although one can tell if a neighboorhood lacks many of the amenities, and cleanliness , and has high crime, and lack of diverse retail options (not necessarily big box), it may not be as attractive.

The more dangerous neighborhoods of new york city, still have far less crime then many of the dangerous d.c. neighborhoods, a lot of the so called dangerous neighborhoods are becoming very attractive but have not really gentrified. I would call some of them semi-attractive or semi-gentrified, since there is such a wide variation. That in itself means a lot.
Dude! You can't answer a very specific question with huge generalities! Please learn how to debate effectively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: