Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 07:37 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,563,181 times

Advertisements

I guess I'm simply having a difficult time grasping what it is tech2enable is arguing for. It can't be to get anyone to admit that New York has more "stuff" than DC--no one's said otherwise. Should individuals such as myself and Bluefly simply choose to overlook everything we don't like about New York in order to be able to live among skyscrapers and more galleries and restaurants? I'm really not "getting" it.

Beyond that, I've really got nothing further to add that Bluefly hasn't already stated.

Last edited by 14thandYou; 09-25-2009 at 08:13 AM..

Old 09-25-2009, 03:59 PM

656 posts, read 1,420,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
You really do need to learn how to properly quote text. It makes it hard to follow and even harder to respond. Just put [ quote ] in front of a section and [ / quote ] behind the section (take the spaces out). Then write your comment and do the same for the following section. Then your's will look more like 14thandYou's.

I guess in the end it's just abundantly clear that you probably haven't spent a lot of time in DC proper and keep lumping DC's suburban culture in while conveniently excluding New York's suburban culture.

Not necessarily, I was referring that homes are just as expensive if not more, sometimes up to 50% more up until recently.

You're comparing individual houses without looking at the overall cost of living comparison (which is the only valid way to approach your argument, but you're denying that for some reason).

There is "no accurate cost of living index", cost of living depends on lifestyle and circumstances as well as consumer expenditures. The cost of housing especially in the D.C. metro area is very important.

You're talking about this high crime and poverty rate, yet don't seem to realize it's mostly concentrated in a very isolated section of the city while a vast majority of DC is perfectly safe (and I have certainly spent enough time in all 5 buroughs to know that they have plenty enough problems with poverty and crime).

That may be true, but a lot of D.C. residents particular African Americans are well aware of the city's issues including education and poverty, as well as lack of congressional representation compared to other cities
In the end, you're comparing apples to pomagranites with your suburban issues and there's really nowhere to go with it. I guess you've just never had the experience of spending an afternoon wandering through the free museums, catching dinner and a play, then wandering the monuments at night and all the vibrant neighborhoods in and around downtown with their salsa music or jazz quartets or whatever else surging with life at almost all hours. I just don't know what is so lacking beyond some tucked away speakeasy type clubs and restaurants that only NY insiders know. You keep looking at the experience of DC from a very macro perspective and are missing the beauty of immersion that really wins a lot of people over (who, btw, tend to rarely if ever drive).

See the ABCD argument, and the correction that people like to stereotype and have a bias because they can't admit certain things.

Some people like that D.C. system is not as superior as new york's because they prefer a more suburban lifestyle, not everybody wants to live near trains and buses, but the housing costs are just as expensive compared to other non-new york cities.

Anyway, the bottom line is that your fundamental argument - that more options make New York better - simply doesn't hold weight. You're missing our point that we feel we can get everything we could ever want out of a city in what DC offers - great restaurants, international / cosmopolitan nightlife, a vibrant theatre scene, really interesting jobs, really interesting and smart people - without enduring all of the negative aspects of NY that come with simply having more of everything that is already present in DC.

Not necessary, while D.C. does offer what you mention above, you pat the same or more price for housing and what not for a less selection, even if you didn't want some of the negative aspects and baggage which I could already argue is not attached to new york, then you shouldn't have to pay the same for housing/expenses especially when views in context of non-new york cities.

For many of us, DC provides that perfect balance between having urban amenities without being overwhelmed by urban infrastructure.

See above.

Keep in mind - I really love New York. I have a lot of great experiences there that could only happen there, so this is just an argument about your claims, not against NYC for what it is.
Its not really, you should go back to the original argument.

Old 09-25-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
I guess I'm simply having a difficult time grasping what it is tech2enable is arguing for. It can't be to get anyone to admit that New York has more "stuff" than DC--no one's said otherwise. Should individuals such as myself and Bluefly simply choose to overlook everything we don't like about New York in order to be able to live among skyscrapers and more galleries and restaurants? I'm really not "getting" it.

New york living is not just about more skyscrpares ,galleries and resturants, and the argument was about inflated housing costs that support the market.

Beyond that, I've really got nothing further to add that Bluefly hasn't already stated.
He hasn't really proved a point

Old 09-25-2009, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech2enable View Post
He hasn't really proved a point
First of all, you've been asked multiple times to quote comments appropriately in your responses. At this point, your failure to do so is simply coming off as rude.

Secondly, nobody's trying to "prove" anything, and your failure to grasp that concept is why this discussion continues. No one's trying to "prove" that NY is better than DC, or vice versa, because that isn't possible.

Now, I'd recommend that you move on from this line of discussion. It's not going anywhere.

Old 09-25-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Not necessary, while D.C. does offer what you mention above, you pat the same or more price for housing and what not for a less selection, even if you didn't want some of the negative aspects and baggage which I could already argue is not attached to new york, then you shouldn't have to pay the same for housing/expenses especially when views in context of non-new york cities.
I call shenanigans.

Once again you have changed your argument. Apparently now made fully and completely aware that DC's housing costs are nowhere near New York's, you've now taken to comparing DC's housing costs with that of "non-New York cities".

And what, exactly, are these "non-New York cities" of which you speak? Your "argument" here is all over the map. First it was "bigger is better." Then it was "the costs are the same so you should move to New York." And now its "DC is just expensive."

Yeah, DC is a pricey place to live. But that's because a lot of people want to live here. If you'd actually spend some time here, you might come to understand why. Then again, your point of view is that I don't have enough wine bars and jazz clubs in my neighborhood, and should move to a city where there are more. Can't really argue with that...

Old 09-25-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
First of all, you've been asked multiple times to quote comments appropriately in your responses. At this point, your failure to do so is simply coming off as rude.

Secondly, nobody's trying to "prove" anything, and your failure to grasp that concept is why this discussion continues. No one's trying to "prove" that NY is better than DC, or vice versa, because that isn't possible.

The discussion related to variety and costs not subjective opinion although I have written on that topic and how we can eliminate and best use gauges and methods of measurement to limit its wide range of influence.

Now, I'd recommend that you move on from this line of discussion. It's not going anywhere.
It is going somewhere, prior to this conversation I actually did some fact-finding and research, families I know had research and wanted to know the topic which I am discussing here.

Old 09-25-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
How is DC homogeneous? This is one of the most diverse areas in the country. Now I will agree that there is a huge divide between the haves and have nots.

Above user was saying D.C was homeogenous, I argued that a certain subsect of people can be homogenous not so much in terms of race, but the user was saying people can homogenous in terms of politics, intellecut, not so much the exact same views, but how they discuss and interact given that D.C. is big on government.

Also how do the suburbs leech off of DC? All suburban areas are dependent on the central city for either jobs or entertainment. For me its entertainment because I fortunately don't work in the District. I would hate to have to pay for parking which is fairly common in the city from what I hear.

Its D.C, D.C is a not a city within a state and does not have non-resident income taxes, and congressional representation as other cities.

I have to agree with others that while I absolutely adore NYC I find it overwhelming at times. There were times on my last trip up there that I felt suffocated and just overwhelmed by all the people. New York is awesome but its also overcrowded and expensive. It's an awesome city but not an easy place to live. Sorry but making comparisons between DC and NYC is inane at best. They are two totally different places. DC is very unique and that's what I like about it.
Not everywhere is overcrowded and D.C is just as expensive, D.C is unique but I focused on the cost, D.C. is just as expensive if not more than new york especially for what additional choice you get, I knew bias comments would come up,so I debunked and pointed out first that people would be quick to say that the more variety is simply more quantity or that this is more baggage that you have to deal with which was not the case , one of the commentators as I predicted would use that line, also if one wants a more laid back lifestyle in the D.C suburbs I pointed out the cost in relation to other areas, it normally would be less cost as other non-new york cities, especially how the dc metro is laid out.

Wise topic and point of discussion, indeed its true.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
It is going somewhere, prior to this conversation I actually did some fact-finding and research, families I know had research and wanted to know the topic which I am discussing here.
Then please share. Where is this "research"? If you are telling them that DC is more expensive than New York, you are grossly misleading them.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:10 PM

Quote:
D.C is just as expensive

D.C. is just as expensive if not more than new york
Yet again, no it is not just as expensive. Not even close. Not by any possible calculation. You are absolutely, incontrovertibly, flat-out wrong.

Quote:
I knew bias comments would come up,so I debunked
You've "debunked" nothing. All you've done is furthered the egotistical New York stereotype that bigger and more of everything is better. Sorry, but it's not. I don't want to live in your city. Many people in DC do not want to live in your city. Hard to believe, I know. Because you've just got so much *stuff* up there.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Then please share. Where is this "research"? If you are telling them that DC is more expensive than New York, you are grossly misleading them.
I've already shared, look let me ask you a question, how much does a home in a safe neighborhood well rated public schools with 10,000 square of land, near and walking distance to the Washington metro cost, assume the home has atleast 3000 square feet that are not cookie-cutter and detached,

its gonna be $2 million right or around 1.5 million, we've already established that metro is a bit more secondary but let's play fair and assume its great enough to give your argument an edge in the debate, what about 2-3 family dwellings that aren't attached. you can include the nearby suburbs that aren't far out. Combine this with above and the fact that other non-new york cities are laid back for far less money
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: