Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 03:08 PM

142 posts, read 252,531 times

Advertisements

Has anybody noticed an increase in the amount of New Yorkers coming to live in this area recently? I have counted at lease 4 groups of people to move down here within the last year or so. Just this month two people have been hired (the only 2 so far in the last couple of months) and both of them came from NYC. Before that 3 new people moved into my apartment complex, two of them from Brooklyn and one from the Upper West Side.

Is this area an attractive location for those from NYC? I initially thought that this area was more popular for those that came from the Midwest, Texas and California. I never really thought of New Yorkers coming down here in droves as well.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:51 PM

470 posts, read 2,095,520 times
I guess they're just following the money. That's what New Yorkers do, no?

I've noticed an uptick in New Yorkers/New Jerseyans in the local counties during the last ten years, but I can't say I know of an influx of manhattanites into DC all that recently.

Every new yorker I know who lives in DC talks sh** about this city relentlessly.

Old 09-17-2009, 04:00 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,559,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGriffith View Post
Every new yorker I know who lives in DC talks sh** about this city relentlessly.
Every New Yorker I know talks sh** about every city that isn't named "New York".

Old 09-18-2009, 06:28 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,712,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateCity2001 View Post
Is this area an attractive location for those from NYC? I initially thought that this area was more popular for those that came from the Midwest, Texas and California. I never really thought of New Yorkers coming down here in droves as well.
They all lost their jobs in NYC. At least, that's what happened to the ones I know. For several months there I was always getting emails from friends saying "A friend of mine is thinking of moving here from New York to get a job..." It's a shame, they all went up there after graduation to work at fancy i-banks that ceased to exist a year later (or at least in the same capacity). I know several people in other fields (publication, communications, art) who have also been advised to get out of New York.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:35 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,240,040 times
Well New York isn't that far plus there's also more New Yorkers than say Delawarians so it just makes mathmatical sense that there'd be more people moving from New York. Although most newcomers are from the south read that somewhere can't remember where though.

Old 09-18-2009, 04:26 PM

39 posts, read 236,658 times
As a New Yorker who has considered DC, I think it's a few factors. For one the proximity. DC is quite close to NY so for people who still want to visit their hometown or family often, it's not a big deal. Culturally, it's similar to me, but prettier, the archictecture, restaurants,museums, trees.

Most definitely there is the lack of employment for some in NYC which makes DC attractive. Both cities have high as heck rent, so that may not be such an adjustment to make. Metro, public transport, walkability, etc both similar.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:11 AM

656 posts, read 1,419,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
Every New Yorker I know talks sh** about every city that isn't named "New York".
Not true, although many other cities besides new york have a lot of issues and problems more severe than new york city, you shouldn't make such as a general statement, besides many new yorkers have left the city to those other cities such as the sunbelt, I know several people who've done it and have though about for years or even decades, so your statement is untrue.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacjamila View Post
As a New Yorker who has considered DC, I think it's a few factors. For one the proximity. DC is quite close to NY so for people who still want to visit their hometown or family often, it's not a big deal. Culturally, it's similar to me, but prettier, the archictecture, restaurants,museums, trees.

Most definitely there is the lack of employment for some in NYC which makes DC attractive. Both cities have high as heck rent, so that may not be such an adjustment to make. Metro, public transport, walk ability, etc both similar.
Not necessarily true, the metro is small fries compared to the new york city subway system, although cleaner due to strict draconian rules that many people think of it, that alone is not necessary to make it better, the crime rate is high, it doesn't have the same offerings as new york city or for that matter other cities have, cost of living is inflated, salaries don't keep up with it, the metro doesn't run at night except maybe on weekends and the stations are far apart and the trains don't arrive and sync as frequent, the metro is more like a secondary form of transit, so it is a big adjustment. Keep in mind D.C is also a bit limited like NYC, although NYC is located in a state. It does have things to offer but its on a more smaller scale and the suburbs are more suburban than many new york city suburbs with much less transit although higher home prices.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Well New York isn't that far plus there's also more New Yorkers than say Delawarians so it just makes mathmatical sense that there'd be more people moving from New York. Although most newcomers are from the south read that somewhere can't remember where though.
Maybe, but its still a long drive from new york to D.C when you factor in congestion, I would have to see a study before saying its not a fact though, people from New Jersey may come to Virginia or Delaware to escape high property taxes, keep in mind that New York , especially the new york city metro stretches very eastward.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGriffith View Post
I guess they're just following the money. That's what New Yorkers do, no?

It depends on the person, many new yorkers stay behind for non-economic reasons or personal preferences.

I've noticed an uptick in New Yorkers/New Jerseyans in the local counties during the last ten years, but I can't say I know of an influx of manhattanites into DC all that recently.

Not sure, have to get certain facts first, like with the previous poster, you stated you say you don't know about that, so I agree with you on that.

True perhaps, for great reason that a lot of people don't like D.C .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: