U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2009, 02:19 PM

4,036 posts, read 7,455,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
I couldn't disagree with your Republican approach to gentrification more. As a long time DC resident and part of the "gentrification" of a couple neighborhoods, I would oppose the approach you espouse and I think so would a majority of DC residents. If we wanted to live in Republicanville we would have already moved to Loudoun County.
The thing is the whole get rid of public housing and just have vouchers is already happening in places like Chicago and Atlanta. These are blue cities. While I certainly don't vouch for making poor people homeless, decentralizing poverty is usually better for all concerned. So instead of projects just have section 8 vouchers. The problem might come for those with felonies and such they'll have the hardest time securing housing. As long as no one is on the streets I'm kinda starting to lean towards tearing down public housing.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Nobody thought Shaw or 14th Street would ever be anything but ghettos either.

In my experience living in the city, neighborhoods with attractive architecture eventually gentrify. When you drive through Woodley Park looking at the townhouses and then drive through Pentworth or Trinidad and see comparable townhouses, that's an indication to me that we aren't done yet. The estimates are that DC grows from a residential population of 1/2 million to over 1 million during the work day. That's a lot of commutes that could be shortened.
Yeah but there isn't enough affordable safe housing for those 1/2 million and some people just prefer suburbs no matter what their commute is like. But yeah I'm sure there are a few more neighborhoods that DC could work on. So I don't think gentrification is over.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:50 PM

5,913 posts, read 6,744,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
The thing is the whole get rid of public housing and just have vouchers is already happening in places like Chicago and Atlanta. These are blue cities. While I certainly don't vouch for making poor people homeless, decentralizing poverty is usually better for all concerned. So instead of projects just have section 8 vouchers. The problem might come for those with felonies and such they'll have the hardest time securing housing. As long as no one is on the streets I'm kinda starting to lean towards tearing down public housing.
I agree with this and many new housing projects in DC have set asides for low income residents. The poster whom I was responding to seems to think gentrification means getting rid of "brown people". We've learned that large scale warehousing of the poor doesn't work, but the diversity of this city is one of it's great strengths.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:02 PM

3,548 posts, read 7,043,222 times
Quote:
We've learned that large scale warehousing of the poor doesn't work, but the diversity of this city is one of it's great strengths.
This is absolutely true. The creation of large-scale, poverty infested ghettos doesn't work--who would have thought?

Old 10-28-2009, 08:05 PM

5,913 posts, read 6,744,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Yeah but there isn't enough affordable safe housing for those 1/2 million and some people just prefer suburbs no matter what their commute is like. But yeah I'm sure there are a few more neighborhoods that DC could work on. So I don't think gentrification is over.
Spoken like a true suburbanite living in Republicanville. It's not safe around too many "brown people."

Old 10-28-2009, 08:38 PM

2,632 posts, read 2,771,254 times
Quote:
I agree with this and many new housing projects in DC have set asides for low income residents. The poster whom I was responding to seems to think gentrification means getting rid of "brown people". We've learned that large scale warehousing of the poor doesn't work, but the diversity of this city is one of it's great strengths.
Whoa, I hope you weren't referring to my post. I didn't mention anything about race. Establishing a functional middle class in DC doesn't mean it has to be lily-white. As Terrence81 mentioned, large cities are pulling the plug on public housing; It's only a matter of time before it happens here. I just layed out one probable (apocalyptic? ) path.

And if DC were to move to the political center, would it be so bad? I'm not saying that new residents will turn DC into Red-City Houston overnight (heaven help us). But in embracing diversity, perhaps this city should also try political diversity as well.

SJ4

Old 10-28-2009, 08:49 PM

660 posts, read 1,398,154 times
Quote:
Spoken like a true suburbanite living in Republicanville. It's not safe around too many "brown people."
Um...you just replied to a "brown person" living in a solidly Democratic county. But good assumption!

Old 10-29-2009, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen 81 View Post
Um...you just replied to a "brown person" living in a solidly Democratic county. But good assumption!
Thanks for having my back! Tried to give you rep points but apparently I need to spread it around or something I don't know. But yeah thanks.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:41 AM

Quote:
What?! Surely you realize that Northern Virginia is very blue. As Stephen pointed out Fairfax county for certain is solidly democrat. And indeed I am one of the scary "brown people". So based on my post in which I politely disagreed with you I"m a white republican afraid of "brown people"? Well! We all know what happens when we assume...you be careful.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:20 AM

3,548 posts, read 7,043,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
As Terrence81 mentioned, large cities are pulling the plug on public housing; It's only a matter of time before it happens here.
It's not accurate to say they're "pulling the plug" on public housing; what they're doing is pulling the plug on large-scale public housing complexes--the "warehousing" of poverty, as rlchurch mentioned. The recent movement has been to intersperse subsidized housing units with market-rate units (a system not entirely dissimilar to what is done in the UK). Montgomery County is advocating for this method, as an example, as is Arlington.

Thankfully, I believe the days of cramming hundreds of units of Section 8 HUD huts together are past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC