U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2009, 09:05 AM

3,547 posts, read 7,899,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT13 View Post
Why DC? Are you jealous that this area seems to go strong and as you said still has supply of jobs and is desirable for people to make a move?
He either got burned on a real estate deal here, or is simply annoyed that some people he knows are living a good life in this city. Who knows. but I do know that I've had more engaging arguments with the brick wall behind our home.
Rate this post positively

Old 11-18-2009, 11:17 AM

5,109 posts, read 9,124,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post

Wrong.

Wrong again.

Wrong yet again.

Seriously, where do you come up with this stuff? And perhaps more importantly, why do you persist in junking up this board with your nonsense? Your points are consistently incoherent, lacking in any supportable evidence, drawn from obscure anecdotal evidence, and grounded in a bitterness towards DC that you've apparently been harboring for some time.

I honestly don't know why you're still posting in this forum. You bring nothing of value and serve only to derail otherwise potentially useful thread topics. If you truly do live in NYC (which I am increasingly coming to doubt), perhaps you should find some other way of occupying your time. I would think that NY offers more to do than sitting at your PC spewing incoherent ramblings on a DC C-D forum.
I think maybe (?) what he's saying is that there are some jobs in DC that are unique to the Nation's Capital and some people don't have a choice but to come to the area if they want to work in their special field. If that was the point, it's probably a valid one - which is not to say I endorse the correlations then purportedly drawn between jobs and real estate values in DC, NY, SF, etc.

I generally find this poster's statements so hard to parse that I don't even try to interpret them. They seem to frustrate a few of you to no end, but I assume you know that you're "feeding the beast" by responding with such intensity. It's really not the end of the world to let someone you disagree with have the last word, particularly when the result is that other threads move to the top of the page and get the attention they deserve instead....

Old 11-18-2009, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
I think maybe (?) what he's saying is that there are some jobs in DC that are unique to the Nation's Capital and some people don't have a choice but to come to the area if they want to work in their special field.
I've no doubt that this is the case, but that's far from something that's unique to DC, as tech was proposing. I know a lot of people in government, law, association/nonprofit work who really couldn't do what they do anywhere else but DC; but you could say the same for individuals in cities across the country.

Old 11-19-2009, 02:21 AM
Yac

6,023 posts, read 6,955,591 times
Back on topic guys, please.
Yac.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:04 PM

1 posts, read 2,165 times
A couple of things

- the economy has pretty much slowed the growth, but the fundamentals of this area pretty much mean that things are on sale.

- the DC economy is very knowledge based and very local - so it's harder to outsource these primary jobs. And there's a whole secondary economy built on servicing these primary jobs.

- We'll really see if the gentrification of Columbia Heights/Georgia Avenue takes root when those young couples have school age children. Given how activist DC is, I wouldn't be surprised if neighborhood charter schools started to pop up.

- out of the way neighborhoods in DC being gentrified? If and only if the Metro/subway gets better.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:16 PM

116 posts, read 188,120 times
I'm jumping in a bit late here, but I think the areas near the H Street NE Corridor will be the next to gentrify. I'm including Trinidad in this as well. If you look at a map, the southern border of Trinidad is approximately three block from H Street NE which will be served by the streetcar and which is already being served by the restaurants and bars that have opened up in the neighborhood. The architecture in the southern portion of Trinidad is about the same as in Capitol Hill. From there, gentrification will just spread north. One thing that will help in DC will be the return of streetcar lines. The are less expensive to install and will eventually link most of the city.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:21 AM

16,087 posts, read 38,520,958 times
Maybe Eckington will be next?

I'm also bumping up a previously very interesting thread.

Old 03-08-2010, 04:16 PM

29,795 posts, read 28,824,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
Well, that's basically what I'm saying. DC won't ever fully gentrify, at least not in our lifetimes. This talk of Anacostia, or Deanwood, or Ivy City or whatever gentrifying within the next couple of decades isn't grounded in reality. Perhaps those areas will marginally improve versus what they are now, but you will not get the next Columbia Heights, or even Petworth, there.
I agree that it will probably never be fully gentrified. The only way they could accelerate the process would be to jumpstart more large scale developments similar to the Verizon Center/Convention Center all over the city. I don't know how many more projects they can come up with...new Redskins stadium?

I'm especially curious to see what they're going to do along the NY Ave/Hwy-50 corridor. The intersection of Florida/NY Ave is supposed to be the city's "gateway," but the route leading up to the gate is absolutely abyssmal. It makes me wonder if it makes any sense to build expensive condos near such crappy parts of town.

Old 03-08-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I'm especially curious to see what they're going to do along the NY Ave/Hwy-50 corridor. The intersection of Florida/NY Ave is supposed to be the city's "gateway," but the route leading up to the gate is absolutely abyssmal. It makes me wonder if it makes any sense to build expensive condos near such crappy parts of town.
Oh, New York Ave. (at least that section of it) is awful. It's probably the worst way to come into the city, from an aesthetic perspective. The area around NY Ave. and Florida Ave. is rapidly improving, though. The Metro station helps, as does all of the "NoMa" development.

But, yeah, NY Ave. is pretty decrepit.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:56 PM

9,396 posts, read 14,440,874 times
US-50 WB seems okay up until you hit DC. Then it's just a bunch of run-down stuff, carryouts and such.

The ATF building is pretty damn cool though. More like it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.