U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 02:47 AM

4,036 posts, read 8,434,486 times

Advertisements

Good rebuttals but yeah...definitely a couple cringe worthy moments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
I lived in a group house in Arlington, and was "pushed" out by the landlord who was far wealthier than I was, because he wanted to sell. Seeing that I didn't own the place, that was his right, no matter what I thought of it.

And you make me sick. I'm so tired of the whiners in this city who complained when there was no investment in their neighborhoods, and are now complaining that there is investment in their neighborhoods.

And then, if anyone dares to disagree with any of you, it's time to break out the race card, and just shout "racism" at people whose opinions aren't the same as yours, rather than present some kind of idea that makes the city better for EVERYONE who lives in it.
Ugh. I'm doing the group home thing too. I'm also being kicked out because the landlord doesn't want to collect rent from more than one person. I don't like the way he went about things basically telling the whole block before he told his own tenants, but that's his right as a property owner. Again there is a price to pay for capitalism but I just secured a place right across the street. I get to stay in my same neighborhood but this time I get to park in the driveway instead of on the street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post

Did it ever occur to you that not every shares your ideal of the American Dream? Three cars? A vacation in Europe? Remodeled apartment in lilly-yuppie-white Arlington? Hey, kudos to you if that is your vision of the American Dream. If chasing after money is your idea of attaining success in this sick, broken-down society; may you reap the rewards of your hard work.
Yeah that made me cringe. Really dude? Not everyone in Arlington is white (Our hero types this and slowly points the finger at himself). There's more to Arlington than collar popping preppies in Clarendon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Your bigotry against white people aside (and complete lack of awareness of how diverse Arlington actually is) , it's your choice to not work and excel.
Darn you! You beat me to the punch! Grrrr ! Or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I didn't mean to imply that. Society was downright horrific for most blacks until a slow emergence began in the 1960s. I was just talking about the city itself and how it was a vibrant place - including a thriving Black Broadway and economic district at the heart of DC culture - before the city was abandoned by the middle class of all races. To build a city that functions again requires all classes to be able to live in it.
I realize that's not your intention but yeah when people (particularly white ones don't know your race but let's put it on the table usually its white folks that like to go back to the 50s and 60s) want to go back in time they seem to forget that this country and world as a whole has made too much progress to go back to that day and time.

Now what would be nice is to see DC go back to a place to where all types of people can raise a family. I think that's what you meant not a return to separate drinking fountains and standing up when a white man wanted your seat.

That'd be nice but it'll be a long time before that happens but I think it will though. Gentrification is going to be part of that. People who can provide a real tax base are not going to want to do business or raise families in a slum. Not there aren't middle class families in DC particularly in the hood. There are. I grew up in the hood in Georgia and we were the last middle class families.

There was a book written by a writer for the Post that sounds kinda interesting and I might check it out. He was saying how integration was the part of the decline of black DC. Before there were convents telling someone of a particular race where he could and could not live, the black middle and upper class lived right alongside the poor in the same neighborhoods. When the convents were dropped the upperwardly mobile moved on to better and often white neighborhoods leaving behind the poor and less financially fortunate. Now that's an interesting theory which back to the idea of tearing down housing projects because concentrated poverty just doesn't work.
Rate this post positively

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC