Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 08:26 AM

13 posts, read 75,206 times

Advertisements

First of all thank you to everyone that responded to my initial post this past summer. My husband has decided to move to Leesburg and I wanted to get some information on the area. I know only 9% of the population is African-American and wanted to know how the racial tension if any is within this area. I searched the local newspaper and didn't find anything that was too negative, so this sounds like a positive. How is the weather during winter time, I am a native Floridian so I know I will have to adjust.

My children would be zoned for Cool Springs Elementary so any info on the public school system, private schools, accessibility to top employers within the area, crime, churches and shops in the area would be helpful.

Also are there any hair salons that cater to African-American hair in this area or what is the closest city to travel to ?

Thanks for your response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 05:43 PM

265 posts, read 1,058,975 times
I agree. For what my opinion is worth (I'm white/single/no kids but have lived in the DC area a long time) if I were in your shoes I would NOT rule out Prince George's County. While it has some bad areas, it also has many very good and even wealthy areas, majority-black, safe, where you will find a real neighborhood feel and get a lot more for your money than in the best areas of DC. Start with where your husband's job is (commutes are a huge factor here, you do not want to be stuck with a bad commute).
I cannot speak to Prince G. public schools, I'm sure others can. I have known a couple of people who went to private Catholic schools there or in DC and went on to excellent colleges, Harvard in one case.
While I agree that you would meet many international people in DC (and in fact around this whole Metro area) the city is expensive, can be logistically difficult (e.g., keeping and driving a vehicle here), you will be adjusting to this country, you have 6 people in your family, and you want a good neighborhood and schools, the city of DC is not where I would head.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:11 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,366,503 times
Well, PG County (even the good parts, of which there are actually plenty) wouldn't be so good with respect to Leesburg.

As for the hair salon question, in VA at least, you can't get a license at all without demonstrated proficiency with all types of hair. There are of course stylists who specialize, but as these tend to move around a lot anyway, I think that's something you'd have to figure out the lay of the land on once you got here.

Old 03-05-2008, 01:31 AM

2 posts, read 6,316 times
Default Relocating To DC

I am a single female relocating to the DC area. I am military. I am looking for someone to lay my head for around $2k a month. Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance

Old 03-05-2008, 12:40 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,674,081 times
re: Dyotha

You can find a decent place for $2,000/mo, although it depends on where you want to be (generally, close to work).

1) Where will you be working (VA, DC, MD?),
2) will you be driving or using the metro?

Old 03-06-2008, 10:44 AM

78 posts, read 248,726 times
We are moving to the DC area and have used GreatSchools.net to help a little with the school search. My research seems to suggest that the Loudon schools are very good. Fairfax as well. Another school site is Schooldigger.com -- Search and compare elementary, middle, and high schools.. Haven't really used it too much but I know a lot of military families like ours use these sites as a starting point.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:10 AM

2 posts, read 6,316 times
I will be working in suitland.....I have not decided on transportation just yet...but I know I do not like sitting in rush hour traffic. So I am leaning towards the Metro...

Old 03-07-2008, 09:08 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,674,081 times
If you're working in Suitland, the best place would probably be somewhere in PG County or somewhere in DC on the green line (if you're going to metro). Some areas are better than others, and I'm not familiar with that area, so you'd have to do research on that. If you're willing to drive, Alexandria's not a bad drive (I had to do it a few times, and didn't find the traffic too bad, but I could have been lucky). Also, if you drive you can get a place farther from a metro which is cheaper, but still nice. You can still metro from Alexandria, I know someone doing that now, you'll just have to transfer from yellow to green at L'Enfant.

Sorry I can't help for DC & MD, but for Alexandria, Fox Chase Apartments are good. As for ones near a metro, type in the 22314 zip code for apartment or real estate sites to get Old Town, and look near the Braddock Road station (a little cheaper, and further up the line). Places on Slaters Lane tend to be reasonable, and are about a 10-15 minute walk to the metro.

Old 03-07-2008, 01:05 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,103,386 times
I think your choice will depend on your needs and lifestyle. If you are looking for an urban environment with nightlife, upscale restaurants and shopping, I would rule out PG. PG is not as bad as people make it out to be but the county does lack ammenities found in other jurisdictions. There are no restaurants, bars or clubs that are in walkable urban neighborhoods where one would not have to depend on a car. Place like Ft. Washington, some parts of Bowie, Mitcheville are (bedroom communities) really nice and affluent but they do not offer the full spectrum for what you pay mortgage prices. PG county also has the highest taxes in the DC region.

As a Washingtonian, I love PG but let's be honest. It's not a utopia as some have made it to be. I blame the county government for its fallacies. PG should be focused on developing around its Metro stops. Look at Arlington & Silver Spring. They were smart to build up and around the metro. PG does not have any comparable areas. There are areas in Ft. Washington that rival Potomac and Great Falls. It's a shame that the residents of these areas have to drive to Tysons or Montgomery County to get a decent meal or shop in an upscale store.

Additionally, the majority of PG lacks a liveable urban environment (Bethesda, Silver Spring, Ballston..etc) that would attract upscale retail. PG is only interested in home building and not bringing viable businesses to the county. National Harbor is a step in the right direction.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:02 PM

2 posts, read 18,470 times
Default relocating to Washington DC

Hillcrest is a great neighborhood! It is East of the Anacostia River and is one of the best kept secrets in DC. I bought a house here about 15 years ago and I love it. It looks like suburbia but it's DC and close to Capitol Hill. Forget PG County and all of those neighborhoods outside of DC. Many people are moving to DC and many neighborhoods are being revitalized and becoming upscale. Driving into the city is terrible and the gas prices for commuting will kill you. Your family will find great kids in Hillcrest and great neighbors. Most of the houses are detached and you and your family will find many good neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: