Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 08:14 AM

2 posts, read 18,942 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to DC in July next year with my four boys (10,7,4,2) and my husband. We currently live in West Africa and have never been to the USA except hubby. We know Europe though

Can you give me ideas of nice areas to live that are diverse, affordable and safe for a family like ours? (we are black and I don't want my kids to be ostracized because of their difference). Kids mean schools and shopping and parks and recreation centers not too far.

Also, what"s the advantages and disadvantages of living in DC?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2007, 11:34 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,920,232 times
The advantage of living in DC is proximity to employment. Many neighborhoods in DC are very pedestrian-oriented. The primary disadvantages are the high cost of housing for a large family in a safe neighborhood, and the deplorable condition of the DC public school system that forces many families to pay for private schools.

You can find affordable family-friendly neighborhoods in Prince George's County, which is majority black and has many upscale new neighborhoods that are less expensive than those in Montgomery and Fairfax Counties. The commute to DC is not bad, but the schools are problematic.

Where will your husband will be working, and what do you consider "affordable?" That will help.

Old 05-06-2007, 12:08 PM

2 posts, read 18,942 times
Thanks Claremarie

I hear PG county has deteriorated a lot and that crime is escalating. I don't mind living in an area that is not predominantly black, I just want it to be friendly and diverse. Because as you know if people have been used to dealing with people from other culture, they have a broader vision of things....

My husband will be working in international financial institution and my first two will probably be attending an international private school. School is a top issue in our family so we are ready to pay for a private school.

Old 05-06-2007, 03:16 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,920,232 times
If you know now which school your children will be attending, it would make sense to choose a home within a reasonable distance of the school, unless there is bus transportation available. (PG County doesn't have many good private schools, so it's probably not the best choice.)

The DC metro area is very diverse, and people in the District and the close-in suburbs (Bethesda/Chevy Chase/Potomac in Maryland and Arlington/Alexandria/McLean/Falls Church in Virginia) are used to living around neighbors from overseas. Our neighbors in McLean, for example, work at the World Bank, the IMF, the Japanese Embassy, the Australian Embassy, the British Embassy, and many have themselves lived overseas when posted with the State Department.

I don't think you would have a problem in any of these areas -- the biggest issue will be the expense of living here. And getting your kids into the private school, which can sometimes be a challenge.

Old 05-06-2007, 04:06 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times
Have you considered Alexandria? There is a large African population here that is concentrated on the West End if the city which the condo market is very affordable when you are talking close proximity to DC. Alexandria schools are very good especially T.C. Williams which has a lot of diversity. As an African-American i think Alexandria is very good place for your family if you can afford it. Also, if you willing to do private school consider Mitchellville, MD. Very upper-class AA area. Pretty removed from PG's crime problems.

Old 05-06-2007, 07:50 PM

3 posts, read 17,801 times
Kinouche
DC area is very diverse. But the public school system is broken down and I will not put any of mine in there. The housing is expensive even in the less desirable areas. Prince Georges County has had a high crime rate, even higher than that of DC.
Virginia has some descent public schools and the housing is just as high as in DC. What I like about Virginia, especially Fairfax county is that the public school system is good, the public transport system is really good. You can commute to DC everyday from Virginia.
Good luck.

Old 05-08-2007, 02:24 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,884,555 times
Quote:
we are black and I don't want my kids to be ostracized because of their difference).
This whole area is very diverse and that is one thing I love about it! mY kids now have friends with very different backgrounds and racial makeup. My husband joke that my middle daughter and her 4 best friends look like a mini UN! We live in Loudoun county and that's too far to commute into DC (IMO) But I feel this is indicative of the entire region. Since we have alot of forgien nationals and govern't workers and Military etc...people are very diverse!

Schools in Fairfax county are excellent Alexandria and Arlington as well.

My advice is find where exactly your husband is going to be working, then zero in on hte kids schools then look in a 10-15mile radius for housing. I don't know your cost and that will have alot to with where you go. TH might be a bit crowed with 4 boys!

I think you will like all this area has to offer. I bet you can find a social group of other west African too to ease into living so far from home.

Good luck.

Old 06-02-2007, 09:08 PM

37 posts, read 316,127 times
pg county is safer than dc....because a county is bigger than a city it is common to have higher numbers of crime....i would recomend hyattsville

Old 06-03-2007, 10:35 PM

1,389 posts, read 6,299,715 times
I am a Black female and My Family just move from Washington Dc NW to Upper Marlboro Pg County. We move from Washington Dc due to crime that happened to my family I almost died when our home got broken into in 06. Our car got broken into 2 times. Our new neighbor move into the community and in less then a week his home got broken into. My other neighbor is in Law enforcement and he was tired of the drug dealers so he moved. When you move to Dc advice never call the police because they take forever or they never show up. One of my neighbors tire we stolen infront of there home.
Since I have move to Pg County I have never witness any crime or ever hear a complaint from a neighbor about crime. I live in a community that is very nice. One of my old neighbors in Dc came to visit yesterday and he was going crazy over my neighborhood. His first comment: It is so quiet over here unlike Dc he live in Sheppard Park.

Let’s compare Dc to Pg County:
DC: was majority black until they enter the government is doing there best to get rid of the blacks.
Very high crime
Any thing goes in Dc no matter where you live there are no safe areas.
One of the poorest schools in Washington dc metropolitan areas. No one send there kids to public schools ever wonder why they shut down 50% of the schools.
Pg County: 2nd wealthiest county is Maryland
Pg County is the first and only wealthy majority minority county ever.
Schools are way better then dc. Majority of the kids in pg goes to public schools.
Pg is definitely growing for the best. Yes in Pg County we have problems but it depends on where you live. No one on here can ever say they heard or witness any violence in Bowie, Upper Marlboro, Mitchellville, Brandywine, Fort Washington, and Accrokee which are all in Pg County.
Please people do not bash the entire county. No one ever say the good about Pg County sometimes I feel because of the majority which is blacks. Pg County has the wealthiest blacks. ALL the areas listed have price range from 500k and up you will not find a single family for fewer than 500k.
Please if you are going to bash a county talk about the good and the bad not only the bad. Pg County has the National Harbor which is the biggest development on the entire east coast. We have the biggest builders building nothing but 1million dollar homes which are in the areas I mention. And guess who are buying yes blacks are. Please stop making color be an issue here just because she is black doesn’t mean you have to mention PG County that’s why she is on the Dc forum and not Maryland. And as far as income goes pg have a higher household income then DC

Old 06-07-2007, 10:09 AM

13 posts, read 75,453 times
Default Relocating from Florida to VA/DC area

My family will be relocating from Florida to the DC/VA area this summer and I have been reading everyone's post on various areas. I find your information very helpful.

My husband job will be in DC( off of Wisconsin Ave, NW) and we are looking to rent a home or town home; preferably 3+/2+bdr within 15-20 miles away. Do you have any thoughts on the following areas:
Vienna, Alexandria, Falls Church Virginia or Adelphi and Bowie Maryland.

He has visted Alexandria and Vienna and seemed to like the area. I am looking for the good and the bad. I would like an area with good schools, low crime rate. I would like to pay no more than $2k for rent.

Thanks for your info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: