Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 02:12 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,459,845 times

Advertisements

I'm tagging along with my wife who is attending training at the National Labor College in Silver Spring (10000 New Hampshire Ave., Silver Spring; it's near the junction of MD-650 and I-495). I will be completely out of my element: I'm a Western kind of guy and have never been within a thousand miles of DC. The only subways I've ever even been in are the little ones at airports like Sea-Tac. I'm a little rattled but determined to overcome it.

First order of business is to figure out the best way to take the DC Metro to the Smithsonian. I am told, and I believe, that this is the best way to get around the area.

Second, if there's anywhere good to eat and drink near that area, that'll come in handy.

Third, any other great museums (and I know there are many) near the Smithsonian that I shouldn't miss. I'm capable of spending the whole week wandering museums; very long attention span. I'm a history buff, not big on art or pop culture but open to considering anything.

Fourth, any experiences you think simply should not be missed in the area, or any other suggestions to make life easier. I relish long walks, unless they're through slums. Or anything that would be really stupid of me, and that I should thus emphatically not do.

All assistance much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 02:44 PM

19 posts, read 120,334 times
I grew up in the area of the National Labor College. You will need to go to Silver Spring in order to get the red line to Washington ( or College Park - green line if you have wheels ). There really isn't very much in terms of restaurants, etc in the area of the National Labor College ( and frankly, it's not the greatest area anyway... )

Be sure to check out the Spy Museum and the Newseum - two of the newest and best museums in DC. However, unlike all the others on the mall, there is an entry fee ( but it's worth it ).

Old 10-07-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotMeAgain View Post
I grew up in the area of the National Labor College. You will need to go to Silver Spring in order to get the red line to Washington ( or College Park - green line if you have wheels ). There really isn't very much in terms of restaurants, etc in the area of the National Labor College ( and frankly, it's not the greatest area anyway... )
How far is it to walk to the red line Metro station from whatever housing there is at the NLC? And is it through just a slightly run-down area, or is it a war zone? I know there are such parts of the DC area, but I don't know where they are.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:46 PM

693 posts, read 1,606,663 times
Air and Space Museum is pretty neat too.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:04 PM

190 posts, read 684,229 times
No, it's not a REALLY bad area (we have some of those), but it's not as nice as other parts of the county. You are nowhere near walking distance; Silver Spring covers a lot of ground, although what's technically considered SS is much smaller;the NLC is about 4-5 miles depending on which route you take. You'll have to drive to downtown Silver Spring and park (be wary of your surroundings if coming back after dark), to hop onto the Red Line. From there, it's pretty straightforward to the Smithsonian area, as it has its own Metro stop. While in downtown Silver Spring though, there are plenty of places to eat and people watch, but I wouldn't recommend just hopping in the car first thing in the AM on a weekday thinking of heading to DC without a game plan, that traffic by the Beltway is no joke. If you're not in a rush, wait until about 10 or so for the traffic to die down before heading out.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax View Post
No, it's not a REALLY bad area (we have some of those), but it's not as nice as other parts of the county. You are nowhere near walking distance; Silver Spring covers a lot of ground, although what's technically considered SS is much smaller;the NLC is about 4-5 miles depending on which route you take. You'll have to drive to downtown Silver Spring and park (be wary of your surroundings if coming back after dark), to hop onto the Red Line. From there, it's pretty straightforward to the Smithsonian area, as it has its own Metro stop. While in downtown Silver Spring though, there are plenty of places to eat and people watch, but I wouldn't recommend just hopping in the car first thing in the AM on a weekday thinking of heading to DC without a game plan, that traffic by the Beltway is no joke. If you're not in a rush, wait until about 10 or so for the traffic to die down before heading out.
Thanks. I won't have wheels, so I now have to figure out a good method to get from the NLC to the Red Line, which I assume means a bus trip unless one wants to walk for over an hour each direction. It also doesn't look like a very straight or straightforward walk--the map shows kind of winding and swirling street patterns.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:20 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,066,605 times
You're on a couple of bus lines that can easily get you to the subway. Try Metro Bus Metro - Home page. There's a trip planner. If you have a smart phone there is a Metro app called Smart Bus that will even tell you exactly how long you will have to wait for the next bus.

Buses take exact change only, so bring some small bills and change. The rail system has a one day pass that might be worthwhile or you can buy a farecard in the station.

Quote:
With a One Day Pass, you can ride Metrorail as much as you want in a day. It's good after 9:30 a.m. on weekdays and all day on weekends and federal holidays. Buy online or at any Metro station from a Passes/Farecards machine.
Get a local map with the metro stops printed on and travel will be easier.

Be aware that Washington, while safe, is a big city with big city crime. Don't zone out with a iPod while riding public transportation or walking down the street. Stay primarily in touristy sections of town and you should have no problem, but stay aware of what's going on around you.

Lots of good food in the city try some Internet search engines.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:23 AM

230 posts, read 859,874 times
You can take the Ride on bus Route 20 from New Hampshire & Elton road to the Silver Spring Metro. Go to get fare info and schedules:
Metro - Rider Tools - Trip Planner

Old 10-08-2009, 11:30 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,066,605 times
Fort Totten Metro is a better bus connection than Silver Spring Metro.

Old 10-08-2009, 12:03 PM

188 posts, read 670,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
Fourth, any experiences you think simply should not be missed in the area, or any other suggestions to make life easier. I relish long walks, unless they're through slums. Or anything that would be really stupid of me, and that I should thus emphatically not do.
As a history buff and a walking fan you might appreciate walking through Georgetown, Dupont Circle or Capitol Hill. All are safe neighborhoods that have some truly beautiful architecture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC