U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2009, 08:05 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,405,965 times

Advertisements

Due to the recent job I started, I've recently been able to join the scavenger hunt in looking for a place to live in DC. In my case, here are some specifics:

-My income will be around $40,000 (for the first year anyway) and increasing by about $10,000 every year thereafter
-I do have some student loans, but no car to worry about (and an upcoming payment from a settlement should hopefully cover most of those loan costs)
-I'm definitely looking for a place walking distance to metro and will be commuting to Greenbelt station for my job

Even though I am willing to settle for an apartment or a "group house," I'm looking for people who are particularly around my age (18-25, I'm 22 btw) in order to branch out and have a social life and social connections in this city. Since the average age of people who are at my job is 48 (no joke), living with recent college grads I can relate too is almost imperative to determining what place I'll take up. I can conclude that the neighborhoods of Mount Pleasant, Adams Morgan, Columbia Heights, and surrounding places are the best in my situation, but how would I go about in narrowing it down to finding people and places that would attract people in my specific age group. Also, from anyone who would know which specific DC apartments tend to home recent college grads and has sort of that "dorm atmosphere" that promotes social connections to happen with ease?

I hear stories in this city about where young people live in places where it's easy to socialize and meet others due to their surrounding neighborhood, apartment, house, and being able to visit friends and meet others because they're so close to each other. What I would give to have such a social life almost handed in my lap . In any case, the suggestions would be real appreciated, as I'm really looking forward to joining the young social crowd of DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 01:35 PM

3,275 posts, read 10,339,727 times
You could try looking for a group house and gear your search towards people your age. In most neighborhoods, I feel like everyone I see is around my age (24), so you shouldn't have too much of a problem finding people. Mt Pleasant and Columbia Heights are both very popular and are near the green line for work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or