Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2009, 08:26 AM

381 posts, read 814,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
I've lived here for about 19 1/2 months, and I can't say I'm fond of DC. The focus many people have on politics and the consuming desire to feel like they are important and "making a difference" is ridiculous.
And you're telling me people in Silicon Valley act like they're not saving the world with the junk they put out....ie. like Twitter??

I remember many years ago the phone company in NY was going to give out numbers to people in NYC a different area code than 212 and people were in a big uproar because if you leave a number with a 212 area code people will call back since they know its NY.

The key word in your statement is 'many', not 'all' or even 'most.'

Old 11-04-2009, 09:01 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,230,341 times
Quote:
I've lived here for about 19 1/2 months, and I can't say I'm fond of DC. The focus many people have on politics and the consuming desire to feel like they are important and "making a difference" is ridiculous.
I don't fault people for trying to make a difference. Perhaps newcomers' overly-optimistic idealism can become overbearing.

While I won't deny that there are people consumed by politics and agendas living here, and blowhards impressed with themselves ("hey hometown in Nebraska, look at me now, I'm an assistant to an assistant on the Hill!") - I have to say that in decades of living in the area I don't cross paths with many of them. I'm sure that certain entertainment venues (read: bars) tend to attract such people, but back in my bar-hopping days I could pretty much "read" a place quickly and decide not to hang out there.

In other cities, there might be a big emphasis on local sports teams, and if you're not into sports, you might feel annoyed by it. But you could find like-minded friends and not every hangout would be a sports bar.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:57 PM

999 posts, read 2,011,372 times
At least sports bar people do not give you attitude. If you want to find arrogant 20-somethings by the boatload, just walk into any swanky bar in DC. Because they went to a top-flight university, they interned for some big shot US Senator and they lived abroad--they earned their attitude. I kid you not.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:23 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,563,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
At least sports bar people do not give you attitude. If you want to find arrogant 20-somethings by the boatload, just walk into any swanky bar in DC. Because they went to a top-flight university, they interned for some big shot US Senator and they lived abroad--they earned their attitude. I kid you not.
Huh, we must frequent different places. My wife and I go out all of the time, and have never encountered that. Maybe you see it at the Hawk and Dove, or Mr. Henry's, but we don't hang out with the interns on Capitol Hill. Perhaps you should try some different neighborhoods.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:17 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
This seems to be a common theme with you. We should help you either get over your frustration with this sect of society or find a place where you'd be happy.

I've found people who seek the middle American dream - the sports bars, softball games on the weekend, barbeques, etc..., hate DC. I've just never known people with "normal" jobs to be comfortable there.

Some of my friends fit the description above (by far not all - most refuse to ever mention the schools they attended or their career in social settings, even the really good ones), and they're not bad people or even arrogant. They are just immersed in a reality in which the decisions they make actually do have an impact on thousands or millions of people, so they take their responsibilities very seriously. Maybe that's the attitude you sense. But I don't get why people have a problem with passionate people moving somewhere to maximize their effectiveness.

If you're passionate about health care or education or conservation or whatever on a broad policy-level scale, why wouldn't you try to work in DC? Why wouldn't you go to the bsst schools you could? Why should people hold that against you?

Old 11-05-2009, 12:45 AM

656 posts, read 1,420,311 times
Quote:
I agree, except that happens in a lot of places that aren't specific to D.C, while being focused on politicians the the link in D.C. may not be everybody's thing, I haven't really known that to be in so much a negative rather than different in that particular perspective.

Old 11-05-2009, 01:28 AM

2 posts, read 3,213 times
Yes, I also hate it here. I have moved here to be with my fiance. I'm sure there are lots of interesting things going on but for me it feels like the most dull place on planet earth. I am not interested in American politics or chasing dollar bills at all. I am trying to make the most of it but the day we leave this place will be glorious.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:12 AM

382 posts, read 1,531,339 times
ScranBarre-I remember you from the NEPA forum. You're better than ever these days! Good luck finding a job in Pittsburgh.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:23 AM

10 posts, read 46,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
Many people are. It's what attracts the best and brightest here.
brightest? Haha! They are just nerdy people with a couple of degrees.

San Francisco attracts the brightest; LA attracts the pretties, New York attracts the most liberal and DC attracts the cruelest, most ugly (both inside and outside) and souless people.

If you are a person with a dead soul, with desire for power and promiscuity (of course you have to be a man. If you are a woman, then you have to wait with other gorgeous women to sleep with a bald and short typical DC man), with no standard for morals, then DC is for you!

If you are a decent and bright person, staying in this city is unbearable.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:01 AM

660 posts, read 1,705,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtoMD2008 View Post
brightest? Haha! They are just nerdy people with a couple of degrees.

San Francisco attracts the brightest; LA attracts the pretties, New York attracts the most liberal and DC attracts the cruelest, most ugly (both inside and outside) and souless people.

If you are a person with a dead soul, with desire for power and promiscuity (of course you have to be a man. If you are a woman, then you have to wait with other gorgeous women to sleep with a bald and short typical DC man), with no standard for morals, then DC is for you!

If you are a decent and bright person, staying in this city is unbearable.
We certainly attract people with a talent for melodrama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC