Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 03:44 PM

14 posts, read 29,654 times

Advertisements

I'm really poor and homeless. I sleep on my friend's couch. But I really want to live in or near DC. I havent worked awhile because of mental illness caused by traumatic events. I do not get social security income. I have no regular income. I make it day to day off food stamps and odd job and kindness of friends who knew me before my life fell apart. I am recovering slowly from my trauma and know finally being in DC or Maryland will boost my moral and help my depression.

Where can I go to get help finding a place? And where are the areas poorer people can afford? I wont be able to drive so markets and stuff should be close enough to walk or have transportation.

Obviously, I will have to find a job, but my family is going to give me $5000 start-up to find a place to live and buy me a few months to transition. I am worried I'll run out of cash and options before I can support myself.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I know that I will have to live in dangerous areas. But maybe the least dangerous place for someone like me? Oh this is really important--I can't live with anyone. My illness makes it very hard for me to deal with people constantly and for them to deal with me. Also, I'm not a drug user and not alcoholic. I suffer PTSD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 04:40 PM

230 posts, read 859,874 times
Check out resources in Montgomery County; you may encounter less red tape than you will run into in DC.

Montgomery County Coalition For The Homeless
Montgomery Housing Partnership
Stepping Stones Shelter (http://www.steppingstonesshelter.org/default.asp - broken link)

Old 10-29-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrot2000 View Post
Check out resources in Montgomery County; you may encounter less red tape than you will run into in DC.
Thank you Carrot. I will start researching the links and figure out if they can lead me to the next positive step. I hope so because I don't know how else to get back on my feet and be productive again. I am in Pennsylvania and trying to have a plan of action in place before I go to DC. Thank you.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:58 PM

230 posts, read 859,874 times
One more: Welcome to the Housing Opportunities Commission

Old 10-29-2009, 07:02 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,511,205 times
What is the cause of your PTSD? If it is miltary related, you should get assistance from the Veterans Administration.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
What is the cause of your PTSD? If it is miltary related, you should get assistance from the Veterans Administration.
No, I've never served in the armed forces. Without going to deeply into it, I suffer from witnessing several violent deaths and 2 violent attempts on my own life. I've been trying to piece my life together ever since. I can't utilize the services designed for Vets and similiar because I have never served. Again any guidance is really appreciated.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:27 AM

1,054 posts, read 5,088,018 times
Hi

It's going to be a bit tricky. There are many things in Washington that might help, running the gamut from homeless shelters to the DC Healthcare Alliance (google this--free healthcare for the poor--yeah, free). There are also cultural opportunities to 'forget about things for awhile' while walking through an art gallery (free) or a museum (free) or going to a public concert here or there or a military parade or just taking in the scenery in DC.

On the negative side, the transition from very poor living off the government in a pretty iffy part of town to lower- to middle class person with a decent home can be a hard jump. Housing prices in DC are a major stumbling block on the ladder out of poverty, and you could go from living in DC to having to move to some suburbs to afford a place to live. I also worry that if you live in too iffy of an area you might witness some crime again and the effect that might have on you.

So, where to live. I was thinking of neighborhoods like Brookland, Michigan Park, Takoma Park, Shepard Park. Look at the crime maps and find a spot that isn't too bad. Of course West of Rock Creek would be great, but you'll be paying quite a bit of money to live there (unless you find a basement apartment someplace).

Metropolitan Police Department (http://crimemap.dc.gov/presentation/intro.asp - broken link)
All murders in Washington, DC, 2005 (red), 2006 (green), 2007 (purple), 2008 (yellow)

This is a map of neighborhoods in DC

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...rhoods_map.png

Old 10-30-2009, 07:40 AM

429 posts, read 1,116,618 times
I just wanted to come in and say that I commend you for not giving up on yourself.

That said, there are many associations in the DC area that will be willing to help you. The National Homelessness Coalition is the first that comes to my mind.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:30 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,716,798 times
I have no idea if this will help or be of interest:
http://www.streetsense.org

They might also have more information on organizations you can contact for assistance

Old 10-30-2009, 12:09 PM

Thank you all for the kind advice. The links are helpful. I know it is not ideal to live in a dangerous neighborhood considering my recent ordeal, but realistically low income areas are often subject to high crime. I will find a therapist to continue my rehabilitation (I see one once a week now). I expect that will help. I am willing to do what I have to to be in DC because I feel that is the only place I'd be happy right now. I have to try at least because I am terribly miserable right now. So I will look into all suggestions and hope something benefits me. The hardest part will be finding work. I havent worked for four years and I do not have a college degree. Finding an ywork will be hard, but especially work that will afford me to live in a nice neighborhood. I've got a lot to do to make a move to DC a reality and dont want to overwhlem myself (nor waste the start-up money so generously given me).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC