Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 05:21 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,654,687 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure a lot of these commentors live in the city. The suburban culture, I've found, can create a caricature of DC that does not exist.

I spend a lot of time in transitional areas and have never once felt unsafe. There are the occasional high profile crimes, but most of the crime exists in Anacostia - across the river. Of course things can happen, but bottom line:

Do not let rumors about crime dissuade you from your life's interests. That would be a horrible mistake. Thousands upon thousands of pleasant, middle class, office worker-bees live and work in the city everyday. I see sweet looking young women get on and off subway stops all over the city - from upscale hoods to ones most people would label somewhat rough. But, the rough areas are fading quickly.

As for cost, what financial managers recommend you spend on housing often isn't realistic for someone starting off. You'll do fine, especially if you're on your own. Drop a grand or less a month on rent in a group house, sell your car and sign up for Zipcar if you need one sometimes so you don't have to bother with those expenses, and you've got tons of money left over for food and libations.

DC's a world class city. It's really incredible for people who enjoy the intellectual stimulation and energy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 10:56 AM

1,346 posts, read 4,197,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
Capitol Hill a "starter" neighborhood? Are you joking? Maybe 20 years ago it was, but it's certainly not now. It's one of the most expensive neighborhoods in the city.
I slightly disagree. Capital Hill expanded it's borders so much that it's everything. Many areas of Capital Hill is EXTREMELY cheap. Sure, areas around Eastern Market and Capital South Metro are expensive, but it's not bad at all when you move farther east. When I first moved here some firemen at work that worked in that area were laughing about the number of "yuppies" that move here and walk around talking about how they live in Capital Hill. When in reality they live in what used to be called "Trinidad South". However, it will sound better to the new people in town if it's called Capital Hill. So they expanded the borders. It's all about where you live in that neighborhood.

Old 12-13-2009, 02:25 PM

331 posts, read 1,194,194 times
^^ "Who" expanded the borders?

Old 12-13-2009, 03:43 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,197,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaisedWell View Post
^^ "Who" expanded the borders?
When it get's advertised by real estate agents as Capital Hill. Whereas no one ever considered those areas Capital Hill years ago. Borders change all the time. NoMa is a brand new neighborhood itself. Not sure how hard that is to believe, but whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC