Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2009, 09:44 PM

33 posts, read 207,775 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I live in DC metro area (in Rockville, MD) and in Jan 2010 I'm expecting my first child. I registered with Shady Grove Adventist Hospital which is very near to my home. I have also taken a hospital tour in their maternity ward and I really liked the ambience and facilities. I just want to know if anybody in this forum have any experience with this hospital... like to know their feedback...

Thanks....

Deb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 09:29 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,066,605 times
I don't know about the current situation, but many doctors used to avoid it like the plague. It's nickname was "Shady Grave." They have had trouble keeping their accreditation.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:25 PM

1,194 posts, read 4,127,192 times
I believe we should know the bottom line on all hospitals especially one that professes to be one of religous proportions. The Shady Grove Adventist Hospital did have problem in 1999 and if anyone can truthfully say they have never had any financial or problems of any defree is really not telling the truth. However, very few if any readers of this blog can truthfully attest that they have bee scouping up or taking an excesssive amount of salary like the administrators of Shady Grove Adventist Hospital have been caught doing (Adventist Today, Jan15 2000) ....Nothing to do with competinance it has everything to do with ethics...

There are many sites that say the hospital had problems and the importatnt unknown fact is that no one has said how it is doing today.....I believe that it is as good as any other hospital in the area.

My mom and dad taught us kids the Adventist way of life and we all have heard that there was a family who had a child that either passed away or became very very sick because their Adventist mom and dad believed that God would take care of any person who was sick.....I do not believe in that thought because I would have died a few times in Vietnam and after I returned home....

The key move here is to do a thorough check on any hospital you plan on using. It doesn't matter if your uncle is the chief surgeon or chief administrator because we all understand that when money comes into the picture anyone can become an instant criminal in God's eyes.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:04 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,459,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy1 View Post
and we all have heard that there was a family who had a child that either passed away or became very very sick because their Adventist mom and dad believed that God would take care of any person who was sick...
That's Christian Scientists. The Adventists take a very progressive approach to modern medicine and wellness. Hence the multiple health systems (three that I can think of) run by the Church.

Unless that family belonged to some offshoot sect it certainly wasn't the church telling them to do that.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:15 AM

14 posts, read 34,705 times
About 13 years ago if you were having a child, I would urge you not to go to SG. They had accrediation problems for a while. I don't know if it's changed however so good of you to ask.

Old 12-16-2009, 04:12 PM

150 posts, read 596,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
That's Christian Scientists. The Adventists take a very progressive approach to modern medicine and wellness. Hence the multiple health systems (three that I can think of) run by the Church.

Unless that family belonged to some offshoot sect it certainly wasn't the church telling them to do that.

Christian Scientists: not to be confused with Christians who happen to be Scientists, are a cult, that in no way have any serious following to the point that they would be funding two major hospitals (Shady Grove, and Washington) in a county of 1 mill, adjacent to a major city, With even one shred of accreditation.

Adventist: similar to other Protestant Christian Churches, who happen to emphasize health and wellness.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:31 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,459,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fissure226 View Post
Christian Scientists: not to be confused with Christians who happen to be Scientists, are a cult, that in no way have any serious following to the point that they would be funding two major hospitals (Shady Grove, and Washington) in a county of 1 mill, adjacent to a major city, With even one shred of accreditation.

Adventist: similar to other Protestant Christian Churches, who happen to emphasize health and wellness.
I think that's what I was basically saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: