U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 12-27-2009, 01:35 PM

2 posts, read 2,119 times
Default Early 30s couple relocating to DC

My husband and I may be relocating to the DC area in the next year and a half and are wondering where to start looking for housing. We'd like to live in the Capitol City or Georgetown areas (or areas similar to those) that offer lots of opportunities within walking distance, other young couples, and plenty to do. My husband is in the military and will be working in/near the Navy Yard and I'm not sure yet what I'll be doing but we'd like to also live close proximity to metro lines for work. We are looking for a place that is at least 2 bedroom with 1.5 bathrooms, parking would be a plus. We plan to spend time in the area well before we move to check out possible locations, but would love to hear from others where we should/could start looking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 12-28-2009, 06:09 AM

101 posts, read 120,770 times
It sounds like Capitol Hill might make sense for you. Specifically, you may want to check out the Eastern Market and 8th Street SE (I think they call it Barracks Row, now) areas -- both are walking distance to Navy Yard, are on Metro lines, and have plenty of good things within walking distance.

Unread 12-29-2009, 07:44 AM

2,439 posts, read 5,495,059 times
Your budget will be the real driving factor. Georgetown is one of the most expensive parts of DC, and parts of Capitol Hill are also very expensive. How much can you afford to spend on housing? I would also suggest that you post this question on the Northern Virginia forum, which gets significantly more traffic than this one. You will find a lot of military folks living in northern Virginia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC