Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2007, 12:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,504 times

Advertisements

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.
I am considering a move to my Firm's DC office - located in McLean, VA, but I really need to assess the cost of living differential. My wife and I currently live in Cleveland, OH and combined make approx $120K / yr (mostly my salary). I am not sure if I'll get a cost of living bump with the move, but lets assume I will not.

Is there anywhere within a 30 min commute of Tysons Corner where we could buy a Townhome (hopefully at least 1800sq ft) for around $200K?

I know this will be a super shock - we now own a 2,000 sq ft single-family home in a nice Cleveland suburb that we bought for $180K - so I would like a down to earth opinion and not the BS of a realtor trying to make a sale.

Thanks all,
Justin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2007, 12:27 PM

26,688 posts, read 41,597,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsthomas64 View Post
Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.
I am considering a move to my Firm's DC office - located in McLean, VA, but I really need to assess the cost of living differential. My wife and I currently live in Cleveland, OH and combined make approx $120K / yr (mostly my salary). I am not sure if I'll get a cost of living bump with the move, but lets assume I will not.

Is there anywhere within a 30 min commute of Tysons Corner where we could buy a Townhome (hopefully at least 1800sq ft) for around $200K?

I know this will be a super shock - we now own a 2,000 sq ft single-family home in a nice Cleveland suburb that we bought for $180K - so I would like a down to earth opinion and not the BS of a realtor trying to make a sale.

Thanks all,
Justin
in as little words as possible, absolutely not for 200k. there isn't anything you can buy in the DC area that is considered halfway safe for 200k. if you are making 120k in Cleveland you have a really good deal, stay there. a th within 30 min for mclean would cost you at least 350k and i'm talking about small townhomes. the 2 bed/2 bth condo i live in alexandria city goes for about 270k on the open market. so i wouldn't come to the dc area unless you get a massive bump in standard of living differental.

Old 05-21-2007, 12:38 PM

261 posts, read 1,664,292 times
Alan's right. You'll have a tough time finding a better deal than what you have now. You're looking at 400k and up.

Old 05-21-2007, 05:59 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,900,553 times
For $200K, you'd be lucky to get a 1 BR condo near Tyson's.
I can't imagine that your firm could successfully induce anyone from Ohio to the McLean office without a sizable cost of living adjustment.

Old 05-22-2007, 10:54 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,408,870 times
jb124 is about right. There are decent townhomes in the area, mostly starting at around $400k. Your employer knows that. All the people who currently work in their McLean/Tysons office also live in this area. All of them who own are living in $400k and up housing because that's all there is here. Mile after mile after mile of stuff that's all $400k and up...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC