Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 08:34 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,563,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
While many of the high homicide cities are majority A-A, that doesn't explain why many A-A communities have low homicide rates, or why certain cities with large A-A populations are seeing major declines.
That would be because race is not a determining factor in violent crime rates. In certain instances it is correlated, but there is not a causal relation ("If you are black, then you are more likely to commit a violent crime").

Old 01-02-2010, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post
Do I believe every AA person is a murderer or commits crimes? NO. Never.
Then perhaps you need to revisit how you phrase things on internet message boards. Stating that an exodus of African-Americans from the District is the predominant reason why the District's homicide rate has fallen sounds an awful lot to me like equating black people with murderers.

Quote:
And I'll end by saying you absolutely can't ignore the fact that cities nation wide with large AA populations have high crime rates.
See my above post. You've continually made the logical error of equating correlation with causation. Both crime and ice cream consumption increases markedly during the summer months, but it would be a fallacy to state that all ice cream consumers commit crimes, or that consuming ice cream leads one to commit a crime.

Yes, there are certain cities with significant A-A populations that have higher crime rates, but those also tend to be among the poorest cities in the nation, or contain pockets of extreme poverty where crime rates tend to be higher. In addition, many cities with higher violent crime rates also tend to be those who most vigorously pursued a policy of urban renewal during the middle part of the 20th century and worked to construct vast quantities of low income housing for the warehousing of poverty--which nearly always leads to precipitous increases in violent crime.

So, again, unless your argument is that black people are homicidal, the explanation for DC's declining homicide rate must be found elsewhere. You've discovered a correlating factor, now do some digging and determine the real reason. I've postulated a few ideas, but there are certainly more.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:40 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,622,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Alexandria is 22% black, and had just 5 homicides last year with a population of 130,000

Hampton, Virginia 44% black, 10 homicides last year with 145,000 population

also, I was in NE DC the other day and it didn't look like the black population had moved out

While many of the high homicide cities are majority A-A, that doesn't explain why many A-A communities have low homicide rates, or why certain cities with large A-A populations are seeing major declines

not unlike the disparity in certain Latino communities - El Paso's got a super low homicide rate of 2.8 - almost the same level as Fairfax County's, and is 77% Hispanic, but Juarez across the river has a homicide rate that makes Detroit look like McLean
You used bad examples to explain your points.

First, Alexandria having a 22% AA pop. is not very high. Anywhere where AA are the majority of the population or AT LEAST 30% would make far better examples. The Hampton, VA was a good example, though like I said, I don't believe that every AA commits crimes. So that would be a prime example. But...

Using a city in Mexico is going reveal different rates of Hispanics commiting crime, sense well.....Mexicans live in Mexico so of course it's going to look like Mexicans (Hispanics) commit more crimes.....let's stick to the U.S. here please....

And just because you took a stroll into NE isn't sufficent evidence enough to determine whether or not AA's have moved out.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
That would be because race is not a determining factor in violent crime rates. In certain instances it is correlated, but there is not a causal relation ("If you are black, then you are more likely to commit a violent crime").
....Or could it also be that a city that was once largely AA (ahem DC)...is seeing a decline in it's AA population.

Just because DC has a declining crime rate does not mean that we still don't have som of the highest rates of crime in the nation...

Old 01-02-2010, 11:06 AM

6,740 posts, read 6,727,597 times
Quote:
....Or could it also be that a city that was once largely AA (ahem DC)...is seeing a decline in it's AA population.
The A-A pop of DC is down 6% since 1990, the homicide rate is down nearly 70%

Also, you mentioned PG County, which had 22 homicides in areas outside and more than a mile away from the beltway, while Fairfax had 13, not much difference between Centreville and Upper Marlboro

Also look at poor, black rural towns and counties along the Mississippi, many are majority A-A and have low murder rates, Cleveland, MS is 49% black and had 0 homicides in 2008

it's density + poverty more than anything, and most poor whites live in rural areas, and many poor Latinos live in the suburbs - Fairfax and Arlington are twice as Hispanic by percentage of population than the District

When I used to live in Boston, Southie, or South Boston, was an Irish Ghetto, it was dangerous and it was white people living in cheap housing and projects

statistically, if you reduce the density at which poor people of any race live, you reduce homicide rates

Old 01-02-2010, 11:30 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,705,136 times
Quote:

Just because DC has a declining crime rate does not mean that we still don't have som of the highest rates of crime in the nation...
Just reading through this thread, it's pretty clear you've failed to make a convincing argument.

The statistics simply do not support your assertions, no matter how much you would like to say, "more black people = more crime".

Old 01-02-2010, 01:32 PM

I never said "black people = more crime"...but we are obviously not going to settle this anytime soon..

And no one else has been able to provide examples of black areas with low crime rates except to point out small BFE towns no one has ever heard of (Cleveland,MS...really? not even Cleveland, OH )...

Yes yes, I know there are NUMEROUS factors that contribute to a decrease in crime, I can admit that. I'm not saying ALL high black areas are crime ridden just MOST. (excluding tiny towns you love to point out) I'm just saying MOST high black areas have high crime...notice the keyword is MOST....am I making this clear?

It's also funny as we can say whites are more likely to use drugs and it is not considered racist...yet to say most black areas have high crime rates is a racist thing to say??? Ironic????

But Oy Vey....I'm tired of talking about this...

Old 01-02-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
I never said "black people = more crime"
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85
Black people moving out....that's the elephant in the room.

Old 01-02-2010, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
Really?
Where in there did I say "black people = more crime"???

Old 01-02-2010, 03:28 PM

And what are you talking about 14andyou??? You ignored all my questions...typical...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: