U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 11:59 AM

9,400 posts, read 7,992,737 times

Advertisements

Dunno the exact answer to that slowlane, but I'd wager it has to do with tax breaks or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 04:02 PM

6 posts, read 23,767 times
Prince Georges county is the poor sister to Montgomery County Maryland in the DC metropolitan area.

But despite what you have read on this board, PG has excellent schools, PG has great neighborhoods outside of the capital beltway. And some great neighborhoods exists inside the beltway as well. One would be Cheverly, Maryland.

PG gets a bad reputation for its proximity to south east Washington. Though south east Washington is unique and complex as well.

Unfortunately, you need to be outside the capital beltway to really enjoy Prince Georges. It’s image problem effects its inability to attract quality retail, housing stock and roads and infrastructure. It’s rooted in its blue collar, tobacco roots. But NASA is still there, University of Maryland is there, the wonderful and newly built National Harbor is there, NSA is there. PG will surprise many folks, it’s more class struck than Montgomery or Howard county, where affordability clash with suburban bourgeois.

I consider PG folks to be the everyday Washingtonians. Real people.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:27 PM

9,400 posts, read 7,992,737 times
Have a friend who lives in Bowie, near Largo. His house is pretty big, as are the ones around it. They all look nice, the whole neighborhood looked nice. Drop a random person there who has no knowledge of where they're at and they'd probably say they're in Bethesda or McLean.

It's also a lot cheaper. IDK how the school district for his area is, but if it's good (or if I could afford private school for my kids), I would totally live there. It's true suburbia though... gotta have a car to go anywhere.

Old 04-03-2010, 11:33 PM

11 posts, read 25,727 times
I went to elementary school inside the Beltway, and most of the kids I was in school with are finishing up their bachelor's degrees. Just sayin'.

My parents could've moved to MoCo, but they figured their kids would do well enough in PG (helped along, no doubt, by the magnet programs), and they didn't want to deal with MoCo traffic. There are plenty of decent single family homes in the Greenbelt- College Park areas, and you can get quickly to public transportation. Langley Park isn't a predominantly black area, so I don't know why it's relevant for this poster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC