U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 11:58 PM

8 posts, read 11,117 times
Very helpful information from all contributors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 10:52 PM

7 posts, read 9,631 times
My wife's accepted at grad school at Howard Univ. We would like to try living in the city as we are only used to much smaller towns. what safety concerns should we be aware of as we choose an apartment in DC and a woman using public transportation to grad school?

thanks

Old 03-03-2009, 09:51 AM

21,821 posts, read 8,974,001 times
As far as public transportation goes, I have only used the Metro rail (no buses), and from what i've seen there are very minimal safety concerns for a woman using that mode of public transportation. Chances are, she will be accompanied by many more Howard students that will get off at that Metro stop on their way to class. Maybe female contributors to the forum can confirm or rebut my assessment. Personally, i've been impressed with the cleanliness and perceived safety of the Metro.

Do plenty of research and VISIT before committing to a certain location and lease agreement would be my advice.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:51 AM

1 posts, read 2,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy7fo View Post
SE--Ok SE across the potomac is bad....
There's no such thing as "SE across the Potomac". All of DC is on the same bank of the Potomac river.

Old 04-25-2009, 01:10 PM

65 posts, read 226,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Arlington and Alexandria are not in the city. Plus they are very bland.
There's a thing I learned in college many many years ago. I call it my Epic Party Theory.

The problem with having an Epic Party in your house is that you have to deal with the negatives that come with it. It's better to go to the Epic Party than have it where you live.

What I mean is that I'd rather live somewhere that's clean, bland, convenient, and a little cheaper for my day to day. To me, that's exactly where I want to rest my head at night. And when I want the "flavor" and "action", I visit the "Epic Party" and leave after I've soaked it in. It's way too easy to jump on the Metro and visit various parts of DC to discount Arlington and Alexandria because they're too "bland". They're so close to downtown DC the idea is ridiculous.

But, I have to admit I'm toying with the idea of living across the street from my job, but that would involve living in a transition neighborhood (a few square blocks in downtown SE). The idea of living in a fringe/transition neighborhood is tempting, but toughing it out during the transition would be rough. I know a guy personally who lives in a "bad" fringe area with a great place. His work vehicle was stolen. The wild part is that it wasn't a regular car, it was a fleet vehicle from a "Government Agency". I'm talking a GOVERNMENT AGENCY that would make a criminal say "Hey... maybe I shouldn't steal this particular car" but they/him/her stole it anyway. That takes a special kind of "Don't give a F*CK!" that I don't know if I could rest quietly at night knowing it existed. But I have to say, his location is prime!

Just my two cents.

Last edited by DustyButt; 04-25-2009 at 01:27 PM..

Old 10-26-2009, 03:46 PM

1 posts, read 2,358 times
A friend and I are planning to stay at a B&B on Maryland and 13th or Independence Ave. and 7th. Does anyone have experience staying in that area of NE?

I think I agree most with the comment that you are always a stone's throw from a bad street in DC, not to mention some other major cities. Still, I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has something to say.

Thanks

Old 10-26-2009, 03:53 PM

3,548 posts, read 4,666,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane manley View Post
A friend and I are planning to stay at a B&B on Maryland and 13th or Independence Ave. and 7th. Does anyone have experience staying in that area of NE?

I think I agree most with the comment that you are always a stone's throw from a bad street in DC, not to mention some other major cities. Still, I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has something to say.

Thanks
between those two, definitely go with Independence and 7th. You're closer to a lot more stuff, and it's a better neighborhood.

Old 10-26-2009, 03:56 PM

3,548 posts, read 4,666,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Arlington and Alexandria are not in the city. Plus they are very bland.
Old Town is easily as interesting as any neighborhoods in DC save for perhaps U Street/Logan.

And Arlington/Alexandria are every bit as urban as many places in northwest DC. Don't forget, were it not for a petition by the residents of Alexandria in 1846, both Arlington and Alexandria would still be part of the District. Clarendon, for instance, is every bit as urban as Tenleytown or Van Ness.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:47 AM

3,209 posts, read 7,254,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
between those two, definitely go with Independence and 7th. You're closer to a lot more stuff, and it's a better neighborhood.
I agree. You're also close to Eastern Market, which would be fun to explore and you'd be much closer to a Metro station for convenience.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:34 AM

583 posts, read 772,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ MacReady View Post
I currently live in bland Arlington! hah actually not that bland (Galaxy Hut is great), but decidedly yuppy. Anyway, first I want to say thanks to those who have lived in the city and provided their honest opinions. My fiance and I are looking to buy a house this year, and our budget is about $500k (first time buyers). We've checked out some homes online around Old Town, but it's pretty pricey (and yes, bland). I wasn't considering DC until I read more about neighborhoods near Eastern Market metro/Capitol Hill. Obviously we'll have to scope out these out in person, but it seems like it's on the up-and-up, has lots of shops/etc., has a sense of "community," and is generally OK as long as you don't get too close to Potomac Ave metro. Of course, I'm only basing this on what I've read other places.

What do you guys think about the chances of this area continuing to improve? We're looking to stay in the home at least 3-5 years. I'm a 27-yr-old female who has had some experience walking around various areas of DC late at night, but we're looking at home-buying as an investment, and if it's a place I wouldn't be comfortable with, future buyers probably wouldn't either.

Anyway, any advice on where this neighborhood is headed (purely opinion of course) would be appreciated! Thanks.
If you are looking to live in DC are for 3-5 years and are looking for something that would be likely to appreciate or not lose it's value then I would suggest more established areas since you may not know if in this period of time some 'edgy' areas would improve sufficiently enough. Walking around there and especially visiting during different times of the day (weekday and weekend) may help to form an impression of the area. Still for 3 year investment the area may or may not change, so there is more risk to it.

I'd say you will be safe with Arlington based on what you said. However, I am not so sure you will find anything walking distance to metro for 500K if you are thinking about a single fam house with a yard. Wasn't sure if you meant a condo or a 3 bedroom standalone home or a rowhouse. Arlington is pretty pricey and properties that are way over 1 million are very common around metro stations. You will be able to find more affordable single family houses if you are willing to to go to more residential areas of Arlington and ones that require you to drive to the metro and everything else.

If you are looking to buy a condo, then you can find decent properties in the city for 500K as well, unless you are only interested in luxury brand new construction. You may also find small 2 bedroom rowhouses even in nicer areas (they are hard to find though) since they make good alternatives to condos as they have no condo fees.

Another advice, choose places where rents are close to mortgage prices, this way if you have to move and didn't get desired appreciation or would lose some money if you sell you can rent out for the price of your mortgage. It's always prudent to look at rents when buying property with investment in mind and whether the area is popular with renters. More residential areas tend to be harder to rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC