Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2010, 07:18 PM

72 posts, read 240,524 times

Advertisements

if so, what was your profession before...and what is your profession now?

i'm thinking of leaving my current state of NY for DC.
However, the industry i'm in is pretty much non-existent in DC. (im in the fashion industry). So it will be a mighty big change to find work in DC. I just wanted to hear other people's stories of their transition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 12:12 PM

83 posts, read 484,049 times
I can only say, don't move unless you find a job. I quit my job as an engineer and hoped to move into business in a non-technical filed..... then the market crashed. I am a student now, so it's not as bad as others. Now every company is looking for very specific experience, so my chance of getting what I want is very small. I am going back to Engineering so I can pay bills. But don't give up, maybe you will have a better luck. If you want to work for the government there are jobs, but they do want people with certain experience in each agency.

Last but not least, networking is important.

Good luck!

Old 01-22-2010, 07:31 AM

123 posts, read 504,155 times
How well connected are you in the fashion biz? I owned a clothing boutique in DC from 2001 to 2008. Closed the doors due to conflicts re: space and connections. I'll be back in the area early spring to open doors to another store. Wanna chat, let me know.

Britt

Old 07-08-2010, 10:22 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,995,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPooch167 View Post
if so, what was your profession before...and what is your profession now?

i'm thinking of leaving my current state of NY for DC.
However, the industry i'm in is pretty much non-existent in DC. (im in the fashion industry). So it will be a mighty big change to find work in DC. I just wanted to hear other people's stories of their transition.
One of my cousin's work for Levi in DC, I believe. You just might have to do a lot of digging before you find what you're looking for. Good luck though!

Old 07-09-2010, 06:55 AM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,715,707 times
I was Public Relations guy before I came. Now, I work for the federal govt. I moved without a job.

Old 07-10-2010, 01:05 PM

306 posts, read 701,510 times
I did. I left the wallows of journalism for a job in politics. I also lived in NYS. Not much of a transition. I was living with my mother working in a dying industry. I used my contacts to find something in politics, flew down and interviewed, was offered a job soon as I got back, accepted, and moved to D.C. a week later. I stayed with someone for a few weeks while I found an apartment. Once I got my apartment, I flew to NYS, drove up with my stuff and that was that. The person I came with drove back -- my job gives me a monthly metro stipend. Now I've been here a few months. You should contact job prospects via e-mail/phone, line up some interviews and informationals and fly down to D.C. I wouldn't just move here without a job, unless you have some savings.

Old 07-10-2010, 05:17 PM

999 posts, read 2,011,048 times
My question: has anyone changed careers to GET OUT of DC?

Old 07-12-2010, 01:14 PM

16 posts, read 51,706 times
I left DC for NYC 5 years ago to pursue Interior Design. I am now coming back to the DC area for good. NYC was able to jump start my career in a way that DC never would have been able to but I'm happy to be coming back home.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:09 PM

566 posts, read 1,556,827 times
If you are in the fashion industry, you have your work cut out for you if you move here. DC has got to be home to some of the worst-dressed people I've ever seen.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:20 PM

27,560 posts, read 28,652,113 times
lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC