Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 09:12 AM

8 posts, read 22,846 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me what areas or nieghborhoods to stay away from as far as moving to DC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 08:03 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,715,221 times
For the most part, anything across the Anacostia River. Parts of NE are decent, but I don't know enough of that quadrant to be able to recommend anything.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:24 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,956,239 times

Legend:
Red: No Go, at least for right now, although there is big hope in the near future.
Yellow: Neutral
Green: Go for it

But I will note that there are a lot of blocks or short street segments that aren't safe either. Mainly in Columbia Heights, Petworth, Some parts of Brightwood, Sursum Corda, and Shaw/ Mt. Vernon Square.

Good Neighborhoods in NE:
-Woodridge
-Michigan Park
-Most of Brookland
-Langdon Park
-Ft. Lincoln

And FYI:
North Capitol Street borders NW/NE
East Capitol Street borders NE/SE
South Capitol Street borders SE/SW
The National Mall borders NW/SW

Last edited by BKmachine; 01-19-2010 at 10:21 AM..

Old 01-19-2010, 10:09 AM

605 posts, read 2,160,307 times
The map here might be helpful to you. There are dozens of neighborhoods in DC, so it's easier to summarize trends by ward. Wards 7 and 8 encompass the areas east of the Anacostia River. Ward 8 has the highest unemployment rate and the highest percentage of ex-cons in residence. Ward 7 is marginally better off. Still, plenty of new housing is going up in both wards. Some young professionals really like the area because it's affordable and has nice views of downtown. I don't say this to particularly recommend the area, but to point out that comfort is relative.

After Wards 7 and 8, Ward 5 has the most issues with crime and poverty. Still, within Ward 5, Bloomingdale, Truxton Circle and Brookland are popular with young professionals because of the overall housing value. A lot of new development is going up along New York Avenue and North Capitol Street, which will only add value to the nearby neighborhoods. That said, Ivy City is not likely to make a come-back any time soon. Trinidad is also avoided by most.

I'd be comfortable in most areas of most other wards. You can hardly go wrong in Wards 3, 2, and 1. There are, however, still some exceptions. Perhaps a good strategy would be to see what neighborhoods are generally in your price range and then ask about the quality of life issues in those areas.

A quirk about DC is that sometimes neighborhoods look better or worse than they are. For example, in the heart of Logan Circle, a vibrant and growing neighborhood, there are some empty storefronts, run-down buildings, and unnatractive surface parking lots. None of these eyesores mean that the immediate area is unsafe. Conversely, in Columbia Heights there is a lot of brand new development on 14th Street, much of it high end. Though I wouldn't call the neighborhood outright unsafe, the crime statistics are surprisingly high given the appearance of things.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:21 AM

Also I would like to add that in about 5-10 years a lot of Ward 7 and Ward 8 should be booming, or at least in better shape, particularly downtown Ward 7 (the area around Minnesota ave station) with the new construction going on right now in that area.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:25 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Great maps! This thread could almost be made a sticky...so useful, and such a common question.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:15 AM

845 posts, read 2,830,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -.- View Post

Legend:
Red: No Go, at least for right now, although there is big hope in the near future.
Yellow: Neutral
Green: Go for it

But I will note that there are a lot of blocks or short street segments that aren't safe either. Mainly in Columbia Heights, Petworth, Some parts of Brightwood, Sursum Corda, and Shaw/ Mt. Vernon Square.

Good Neighborhoods in NE:
-Woodridge
-Michigan Park
-Most of Brookland
-Langdon Park
-Ft. Lincoln

And FYI:
North Capitol Street borders NW/NE
East Capitol Street borders NE/SE
South Capitol Street borders SE/SW
The National Mall borders NW/SW

But, on your giant map, why do you have Hillcrest and Fairfax Village (in Southeast) zoned Green? Shouldn't they be yellow? Also, the small areas immediately north of that quite attractive - East Washington Heights and also Westover Drive- - I would zone them yellow.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:57 PM

188 posts, read 670,320 times
also, adams morgan is much more dangerous than a lot of neighborhoods you have in yellow.

... also you have all of downtown in yellow. and capitol hill.

finally, tenleytown is hood as shyittttt

Old 01-27-2010, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane View Post
But, on your giant map, why do you have Hillcrest and Fairfax Village (in Southeast) zoned Green? Shouldn't they be yellow? Also, the small areas immediately north of that quite attractive - East Washington Heights and also Westover Drive- - I would zone them yellow.
thanks for the correction. i meant to make those areas yellow, i guess i did a rush job on the map.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:55 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Actually, that map, are RENT/HOUSING also in line with the color coding...? I mean, generally, they are.

But I'm just wondering if there are a few exceptions of not insanely expensive combined with safe for a guy with a wife and kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC