U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-01-2010, 10:10 PM
 
Location: Land of Enchantment
87 posts, read 114,531 times
Reputation: 48
Speeding on federal land is a federal petty offense (federal crimes can be felonies, misdemeanors, petty misdemeanors, or petty offenses--that's from most to least serious) punishable by up to $5000 fine and 6 months in jail.

BUT unmanned speed cameras can only ever legally be a civil infraction, not a crime nor points on your license.

Whether you'd be committing a federal crime by speeding in DC and being caught by a cop with a radar gun, I don't know. DC does have both a federal district court and a superior court (that's equivalent to a state district court, or what New York calls Supreme Court), but many rules for federal courts also apply to DC Superior Court because it's the capital district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-02-2010, 10:51 AM
 
67 posts, read 161,302 times
Reputation: 36
I believe in DC that anything over 9 miles an hour above the speed limit is considered speeding and you can get a ticket for it. Don't waste your time, energy, breath and gas money. Pay the ticket because 10 out of 10 times you will pay. As the previous poster said, you will not get any points against your license. Unfortunately I get my fair share in DC and MD. Never got any points against me and my insurance company who I've been with for many many year are never notified. Even if you weren't driving the car you would need to have proof of it. If it makes you feel any better, there's a little comment area on the ticket (the back I think) where you can write that you weren't driving the car, but you'll pay the ticket since it was on your vehicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2011, 09:19 PM
 
11 posts, read 24,908 times
Reputation: 15
I vote that if you have to pay them, you write something nasty in the memo field of your check. After all, the memo field is for your reference, and I am sure if you write something quite insulting in there you'll likely not forget the reason you wrote the check! Childish...somewhat, but funny as hell when you laugh about it later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2011, 08:05 PM
 
Location: Full time RV"er
2,403 posts, read 3,552,413 times
Reputation: 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdrogers View Post
I believe in DC that anything over 9 miles an hour above the speed limit is considered speeding and you can get a ticket for it. Don't waste your time, energy, breath and gas money. Pay the ticket because 10 out of 10 times you will pay. As the previous poster said, you will not get any points against your license. Unfortunately I get my fair share in DC and MD. Never got any points against me and my insurance company who I've been with for many many year are never notified. Even if you weren't driving the car you would need to have proof of it. If it makes you feel any better, there's a little comment area on the ticket (the back I think) where you can write that you weren't driving the car, but you'll pay the ticket since it was on your vehicle.
. WOW! when are people going to stand up for your rights !!! photo tickets come most time from a private company hired by the city. They therefore have by law no right to be regulating or enforcing traffic laws . This as I have stated in many post and sites is a violation of law, proven in many courts to which the cases have been dismissed . The only thing you need to do is exercise your rights and demand a verified complaint from the injured party. From a photo ticket or even a speeding ticket from a cop there is no injured party, therefore no verified complaint, case dismissed in the interest of Justice.

Last edited by Fighter 1; 01-15-2011 at 08:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2011, 04:33 PM
 
29 posts, read 66,486 times
Reputation: 25
Pay it! You will end up spending more money trying to fight it . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2011, 02:16 PM
 
30 posts, read 49,234 times
Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
. WOW! when are people going to stand up for your rights !!! photo tickets come most time from a private company hired by the city. They therefore have by law no right to be regulating or enforcing traffic laws . This as I have stated in many post and sites is a violation of law, proven in many courts to which the cases have been dismissed . The only thing you need to do is exercise your rights and demand a verified complaint from the injured party. From a photo ticket or even a speeding ticket from a cop there is no injured party, therefore no verified complaint, case dismissed in the interest of Justice.
Step 1: Ignore this guy. All of the speed cameras are monitored by (sleeping or texting) cops, so this "private company" argument is worthless.

Step 2: Pay the ticket. You can fight parking tickets...speeding tickets, not so much. You'll spend more $ fighting it and still lose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2011, 01:42 PM
 
Location: Full time RV"er
2,403 posts, read 3,552,413 times
Reputation: 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoos30 View Post
Step 1: Ignore this guy. All of the speed cameras are monitored by (sleeping or texting) cops, so this "private company" argument is worthless.

Step 2: Pay the ticket. You can fight parking tickets...speeding tickets, not so much. You'll spend more $ fighting it and still lose.
Please post any proof that the City of or Washington D.C. did in fact install those cameras and not a private company . Further more show where the so called payment goes to the City of D.C.and not a PRIVATE COLLECTION ! As to cost? what is the cost in the loss of another right to due process?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2011, 06:27 PM
 
2,866 posts, read 4,890,863 times
Reputation: 1553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
Please post any proof that the City of or Washington D.C. did in fact install those cameras and not a private company . Further more show where the so called payment goes to the City of D.C.and not a PRIVATE COLLECTION !
Huh? Have you ever seen one of these cameras? There's usually a cop car right in front of them. When you get the ticket, you write a check to DC. You're the one who's contesting common knowledge, so where's your proof?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2011, 01:14 PM
 
1,102 posts, read 897,416 times
Reputation: 356
did you pay the ticket yet?

instead of paying court fee, speeding ticket fee, and gas, and time, and stress AND probably paying for a parking ticket while you're here again, or risking getting another speeding ticket, I really hope you paid this and got your life back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2012, 03:55 PM
 
834 posts, read 867,096 times
Reputation: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
. WOW! when are people going to stand up for your rights !!! photo tickets come most time from a private company hired by the city. They therefore have by law no right to be regulating or enforcing traffic laws . This as I have stated in many post and sites is a violation of law, proven in many courts to which the cases have been dismissed . The only thing you need to do is exercise your rights and demand a verified complaint from the injured party. From a photo ticket or even a speeding ticket from a cop there is no injured party, therefore no verified complaint, case dismissed in the interest of Justice.
What? This can't be right. I'm no expert in DC law, but the ticket itself is surely intended to be a verified compliant. It would be absurd to presume that simply invoking a premise that there is no injured party would somehow be a magical way out of tickets. Besides appearing patently absurd on its face, there is an injured party, the DC government in lost revenue.

I may be wrong, and if you can point to any reputable sources that suggest otherwise, I'd be interested in hearing them.

Edit: two minutes of google: "There is no right to a verified complaint when the citation is issued on an approved form. [See People v Barron (1995) 37 CA4th Supp 1, 3–5.] A defendant who contends that the notice to appear is defective must raise the issue before trial by filing a demurrer. [See PC 1004(2), 1012; People v Gompper (1984) 160 CA3d Supp 1, 8–9.]"

Last edited by chicagotodc; 02-23-2012 at 04:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top