U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 10:10 AM

38 posts, read 4,402 times

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 07:52 AM

65 posts, read 6,702 times

Last edited by Chocolate City 202; 04-02-2011 at 08:08 AM..

Old 04-02-2011, 08:44 AM

4 posts, read 7,900 times
Default great photos on this thread.

you all posted great pics of DC. thanks for making me homesick

Old 04-03-2011, 09:59 AM

65 posts, read 6,702 times

Old 04-07-2011, 10:05 PM

7,223 posts, read 8,420,150 times
This is my son on the bike lane on Pennsylvania Avenue

Old 04-07-2011, 10:18 PM

11,720 posts, read 17,367,374 times
Nice bike lane! I'd be nervous being in the middle like that, but probably is the safest place to be. Would be even better if they put a curb jutting up to separate the cars from weaving into the bike lane. Nice shot though.

Old 06-08-2011, 03:48 PM

686 posts, read 434,167 times
Great thread for a great city. (The good parts of) Washington DC is (are) so picturesque. The architecture is lovely.

Old 07-20-2011, 04:39 PM

24 posts, read 26,103 times
We are spending a month there next year & I am so looking forward to visiting. Thanks for the lovely photos.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:21 AM

4,376 posts, read 4,672,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Nice bike lane! I'd be nervous being in the middle like that, but probably is the safest place to be. Would be even better if they put a curb jutting up to separate the cars from weaving into the bike lane. Nice shot though.
The bike lanes on Penn. Ave (where that shot in #75 was taken) seem to function pretty well. When they were first set up, the problem wasn't so much cars weaving into the bike lanes as bikers who took advantage of the new bike lanes but still didn't think traffic lights applied to them and were used to bobbing and weaving. My sense is that things have improved, although I think the DC Government official who was the main force behind the bike lanes may have moved on (ridden off?) now.

Even so, if you come here this summer, you're likely to see a fair number of people riding the red "Capital Bikeshares" bikes on the streets. There are stations all over the city, and some in Arlington as well.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:15 AM

9,978 posts, read 8,289,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
The bike lanes on Penn. Ave (where that shot in #75 was taken) seem to function pretty well. When they were first set up, the problem wasn't so much cars weaving into the bike lanes as bikers who took advantage of the new bike lanes but still didn't think traffic lights applied to them and were used to bobbing and weaving. My sense is that things have improved, although I think the DC Government official who was the main force behind the bike lanes may have moved on (ridden off?) now.

Even so, if you come here this summer, you're likely to see a fair number of people riding the red "Capital Bikeshares" bikes on the streets. There are stations all over the city, and some in Arlington as well.
Yeah - another big problem with the Pennsylvania Ave bikelanes when they first opened was they made them excessively wide and took up another lane of traffic. To the city's credit, they quickly admitted it looked better on paper and fixed it (you can still see the old markings) and I think they're a good width now to keep traffic flowing with a big enough buffer to protect the bikes.

As someone who drives, bikes, and walks this city, it's been funny to watch bikers both embrace the new infrastructure for them and slowly realize they now have to play more by the rules because of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: