Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2021, 12:45 PM

211 posts, read 237,727 times

Advertisements

What are MD, VA, and DC residents stereotypes of each other?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2021, 11:08 AM

2,021 posts, read 4,612,564 times
Honestly in my opinion as DC proper and inner urban suburban communities such as Arlington, Alexandria and Bethesda/ Silver Spring have gentrified/ grown so much over the past decade it's sometimes getting difficult to tell one part from the other regarding the people.

When I first moved to this area in 2004, I usually thought of DC as crime ridden (even though we ended up out in Adams Morgan or the Dupont area very late on most Saturday nights)- I tended to always think that until I actually lived in DC proper and realized that was an over generalization. To this day I've never lived more than two miles from the DC line.

Maryland either rich and snobby/ where most people from the Northeast/ New England who moved to this area located and had a chip on their shoulder or also really crime ridden in PG.

Virginia depended on where- I thought Arlington was preppy/ snobby / fratty even though I lived there and probably gave off that vibe as much as I tried to pretend I didn't and outside-the-Beltway Virginia just yuppie suburbia.

Please note that this was all NOVAmtneer as a 23 year old. I don't really feel that way now as I've been here for over 15 years.

To this day I do think some DC people (usually newer transplants) think DC is the end all be all and everything in Maryland and Virginia is a suburban wasteland. I didn't do this when I lived in DC because I had lived / explored many other areas. There are many exciting things in the District but also plenty of activity in inner inside-the-Beltway communities on both sides bordering DC. I get it though- many are very young - like I once was- and new to living in a major city and sometimes don't have a car or the ability to get out and explore. Nothing wrong though of being proud of where you live it just can be a bit overdone sometimes.

Old 10-24-2021, 05:15 PM

9,875 posts, read 14,116,397 times
Only major diference between those who choose to live in VA over MD and DC, is those who have and want to keep their guns without major complications or paperwork.

Old 10-24-2021, 10:23 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,612,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Only major diference between those who choose to live in VA over MD and DC, is those who have and want to keep their guns without major complications or paperwork.
It might not be quite as simplistic as that but not going to fully deny you there as a responsible gun owner myself!

Old 10-25-2021, 06:28 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,626,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCarea View Post
What are MD, VA, and DC residents stereotypes of each other?

Having lived in the area for 8 years I always viewed MD as a state that has some wealthy areas (it has the highest average income of any state) but it also has a high minority, poor population, VA is more white and wealthy (NOVA at least), and DC is very transient (people only stay a few years and then leave).

Old 10-25-2021, 07:10 AM

211 posts, read 237,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
Having lived in the area for 8 years I always viewed MD as a state that has some wealthy areas (it has the highest average income of any state) but it also has a high minority, poor population, VA is more white and wealthy (NOVA at least), and DC is very transient (people only stay a few years and then leave).
I didn’t realize that MD residents has a higher average income than VA. In 2018, MD was $83K versus VA at $72K, so the gap is quite wide.

https://wtop.com/local/2019/10/maryl...ate-in-nation/

I guess because MD wraps around DC, a greater area of MD falls within the DC metropolitan area, whereas VA comparison is skewed to only NoVa.

Old 10-25-2021, 07:30 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,566,317 times
Quote:
USPS and Census data have shown that to be a bit of a myth. While higher than other cities, the transient rate is still small. The big drivers are the military and politics, and most military live outside DC.

Old 10-25-2021, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCarea View Post
I didn’t realize that MD residents has a higher average income than VA. In 2018, MD was $83K versus VA at $72K, so the gap is quite wide.

https://wtop.com/local/2019/10/maryl...ate-in-nation/

I guess because MD wraps around DC, a greater area of MD falls within the DC metropolitan area, whereas VA comparison is skewed to only NoVa.
Not really, Arlington/Fairfax vs MoCo/PG, and PG is not considered high income, by the standards of this region.

Old 10-25-2021, 07:46 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,626,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
USPS and Census data have shown that to be a bit of a myth. While higher than other cities, the transient rate is still small. The big drivers are the military and politics, and most military live outside DC.

I do feel people are staying in DC longer nowadays than before. It's become a very young city. I moved out of DC last year but I go back once a month for my fix so it's like I never left really. When I moved there in 2012 it seemed a bit older but I continued to see a younger demographic coming in and staying longer. Perhaps this wasn't the actual case, but it seemed so.

Old 10-25-2021, 11:18 AM

Quote:
I do feel people are staying in DC longer nowadays than before. It's become a very young city. I moved out of DC last year but I go back once a month for my fix so it's like I never left really. When I moved there in 2012 it seemed a bit older but I continued to see a younger demographic coming in and staying longer. Perhaps this wasn't the actual case, but it seemed so.
The older you get the more you notice that there seem to be more people around who are younger than you.
It afflicts everyone, but hopefully, there's a pill on the way.
Also, if you consider that the DC metro grew at 14% 2010-2020 while the rest of the country grew at just 7%, that means more are staying than leaving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC