U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2010, 04:49 PM

125 posts, read 443,742 times

Advertisements

It's been awhile since RtS and never been to RtC. Is RtS just as good since moving? I've read recent reviews re: sketchy service & a rushed atmosphere. If you were to pick one, which would it be? Or is there somewhere else we should be considering for a no-frills weeknight steak?

Address as long as it's inside the Beltway isn't a huge deal. We don't really want to go further on a weeknight. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 11:23 AM

593 posts, read 2,246,600 times
Went to Ray's the Steaks for my birthday about 3 weeks ago, and it was amazing. If you've got a big appetite, get the cowboy cut

We didn't feel rushed at all -- it seems like they've made a conscious effort to not rush people, as I'm sure that they've read the reviews in the past which used to mention that more often.

I've not yet ventured into Ray's the Classics, but I'm very curious...anyone been there recently?

Old 02-10-2010, 11:10 AM

1,353 posts, read 3,204,706 times
I always get confused by all these 'Rays' around here....Rays Steaks?!? Then what the hell is "Rays Hell Burger"? And why did they move 2 doors down after Obama and Biden ate there? Or is it still two distinct places?

Confusing.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:29 AM

3,451 posts, read 8,153,949 times
Ray's the Classics is in Silver Spring, very close to the Georgia Avenue/Colesville Road (US 29/MD 97) intersection. They have the same menu as Ray's the Steaks I believe, PLUS they also serve Ray's Hell Burger (though french fries aren't available; instead you get a tasty tater-tot like side order). The Hell Burger is a little more expensive at RtC than at RHB but both burgers taste the same (which is to say awesome). I've never had a steak at RtC because I always go for the much cheaper Hell Burger, but I can't imagine the steaks are anything less than excellent. Service varies from visit to visit but is usually decent or better. RtC is much quieter than either RtS or RHB, a plus IMO. Another plus are the free spicy cashews that are available as an appetizer (don't know if they are available at RtS).

Ray's the Steaks is in Arlington, near either the Court House Metro station or Clarendon Metro station (I can't remember which one). I've only eaten here once (summer 2009), but I had the best steak I've ever eaten here. Strangely for a relatively expensive steak house, I thought it was really loud in there.

Ray's Hell Burger is also in Arlington, about halfway between the Rosslyn Metro station and Court House Metro station on Wilson Boulevard. I've only been there once (about 3 PM on a Saturday back in December 2009) and the lines were really long and the place was jammed, but the burger was great, just like RtC. Unlike RtC, french fries and bottled soda are available.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:22 AM

741 posts, read 2,545,187 times
Ray's steaks are friggin awesome...

On a side note if you go to RtC in Silver Spring and want the burger you can only get it at the bar. It's not served in the main dinning room.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:02 PM

4,043 posts, read 4,854,880 times
RtS is loud because the owner has made the conscious decision not to invest in decor so he doesn't have to put the overhead into the cost of the steaks. For the quality of meat & cooking, it's about half the price of comparable steakhouses in the area. There is an area more toward the back that is carpeted and thus a little quieter. Service is efficient, but I wouldn't say rushed. However, they do want (and need) to turn tables; there's always been a line that I've seen. They do take reservations, though. It is at Courthouse Metro just across the street from Courthouse Plaza. The

Ray's Hell Burger moved a few doors down from its original location into the space that used to be RtS. The original Ray's Hell location will be made into a fish-and-chips shop called Ray's the Catch that should open in the summer of 2010.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or